Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, again!!! I'm here to talk about mass transit in Phila. I think the transportation system in Phila is a shame compared to other metros (NYC, Boston, Chicago, Baltimore/DC, LA, SF, Atlanta). Each aforementioned metro has an extensive mass transit system and it seems like each of them know how to manage the budget. Not with SEPTA!!! It seems like everytime I hear about them, they dohn't have any money, the workers are going on strike, or somebody get's caught stealing from the cookie jar (taking money from the budget and using it for personal expenses). Us Philadelphians know that we live in one of the most corrupt cities in the USA, but as far as simple transportation, we don't even have that. THe same can be said for Pittsburgh. It's supposed to have a subway and commuter rail system, but doesn't. It's rival Cleveland has all that, and Pittsburgh is a more cosmopolitan city than Cleveland. What a shame!!! I'll give you more info about my plans.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I feel the reason why we don't have a good transportation is because of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania is spending more to rehabilitate old roads and build new ones than trying to spend what might be a few million dollars just to repair an existing right-of-way for a railroad. Look at the West Chester line on the SEPTA commuter rail system. It ends at Elywn, which is about 2 miles from Media, another town is a served be route 101, a subway line. The commuter line will not be sucessful because there is a subway line at the next town, which is cheaper than paying to go directly to CC by commuter by a few bucks. When the line had service to WC, it was probably one of the most used lines in that system. We need to get service back to WC so SEPTA can make money. Other lines include extending into the Lehigh Valley (Allentown, Bethlehem, Easton, Phillipsburg, NJ), Reading, Lancaster, Oxford, New Hope, and Newtown. IF we had these services, Septa would be the third largest mass transit system in America, behind NYC and Chicago. Also one of the things I was pondering about was the subway system and had this subway system been built in the 20's to the 40's and 50's. I'm talking about Extending the BSL to Jenkintown-Wyncote to the north and to SW Philly (84th St) to the suburbs and to Essington, the MFL to NE Phila (Bustleton and Somerton-Philmont Ave)and another extension from 69th St to Lansdowne, Yeadon, Darby, and Colwyn, Another local-express line traveling beneath 5th St and Passyunk Ave from Colwyn and Yeadon to SW Phila to Olney, to Fox Chase, a line which would travel from Essington to 30th St via the "airport line" to Penn's Landing via Arch St and the the Zoo, then through N Phila via Sedgely Ave subway to Erie-Torresdale Aves to NE Phila via State Rd to Bensalem, as well as make the Chestnut Hill East and West and the Shuylkill Line via Manayunk to Norristown, as well as Route 100, 101,and 102 a part of the subway system, similar to the SIRT in Staten Island, and we would've had one of the most extensive subway system in America, and a world-class one. But now in the present, all we have is two subway lines excluding the PATCO and the subway-surface and a half-ass commuter line. Imagine the tourist that wanted to go to reading and get some cheap clothing at one of the outlets, or Lancaster, to experience the Amish country, or Kennett Square, to visit Longwood Gardens (www.longwoodgardens.org), to New Hope to visit the art galleries or the Lehigh Valley to see breathtaking views of Allentown and Bethlehem. And imagine the regular commuter who would save so much time and money rather than waste it all by going through I-76, I-95, I-476, and Routes 30, 202, and 402. We should've had this type of system a long time ago and not even complain about every little detail about Septa.

·
Banned
200 Posts
All I can say is, PA needs to get rid of slimeballs like Rick Santorum, who come out strongly in support of "tort reform", then when his wife undergoes a botched operation, sues the doctor and makes a fortune. :bash: :banned:

·
Registered
249 Posts
SEPTA is a victim of state neglect and it's own short-sightedness.

Pennsylvania woefully underfunds all its transit agencies but particularly SEPTA, its largest by far.

And SEPTA has a pisspoor record of managing their money effectively. The majority of the members of the SEPTA Board are from the suburbs and even if it isn't true, it does lend to the view that the needs of the everyday rider take a backseat.

You don't see great expansions in the system like you see in other cities for several reasons.

First, most of the cities where you see new and expanding subway systems are cities with exploding populations, such as cities of the Sunbelt in the South and West. New York City has only made very modest expansions of its system since before WWII because the cost is tremendous. Same with Chicago, which exists under a similar political climate as Philadelphia.

Philadelphia is not gaining people in large number. The state is not gaining much new tax revenue. So in a sense there isn't enough money to do some of the things we'd all like to see done.

You can make up all the imaginary subway lines you want to (I used to when I was younger) - you won't see a shovel hit the ground until the state starts properly holding up their end of transit funding and the agency itself gets some true leadership. It would also certainly help to have a population that used transit and a growing tax base. But that's a discussion for another day.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I think the problem lyes in the bueracracy of the system... SEPTA is corrupt... along with most of Philly... the Feds need to clear house and go after everyone... not just Mayor Street....

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Back in the day, we had an extensive commuter rail system in SE PA and in South Jersey, too. Just Do some reasearch on the Reading, the Pennsylvania, and the Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore lines. There were lines that went into Pennsville, Vineland, Millville, Bridgeton, Cape May, Ocean City, Toms River, and even from Trenton to Camden (the current River Line, oh boy do I hate that line). We have a line similar to the PATH in NYC, but it should've reached the communities of Woodbury, Deptford, Cherry Hill, and Maple Shade, as well as Lindenwold. If we had these services today, as well as my version of the Philadelphia subway system and the commuter rail system, we would be the third largest mass transit system in America, and we would be successful too, and Phila wouldn't have so much traffic that we experience. So, if a person wanted to go to KOP from CC, he wouldn't drive and waste his gas on the Schuylkill Expressway, but use the Norristown elevated subway (sorry if it's an oxymoron, but wanted to differentiate between a subway and commuter rail) that's serving Manayunk via rush-hour express to get to Norristown at subway fare, then transfer to a bus that will take him to KOP mall. That's why we have all these lopsided projects like the Schuykill Valley Metro light rail to Reading, the River Line, the Airport Line, and the PATCO extension to Vineland, because all of these lines (except the airport line, which needs to be served by regular subway service), needed commuter rail, but we never saved them, and instead Delaware Valley became car-dependent. :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

·
Registered
52 Posts
jackooboy The government has and always will be corrupt. Did John Street invent corruption? Was SEPTA great before his administration? Is Philadelphia the only place corruption exists?

The fact some "Brothers and Sisters" lined theyre pockets has no bearing on SEPTA
Our Representation has been Lining therye pockets since this country began.
the Urban ends of this state have nothing in common with the NASCAR middle of it.
theryre not forsaking theyre road money for us city folk.
Actually PA is a microcosm of the United States with the very large middle voting conservative and the coastal Large cities by water voting democrat
and Im sure the G.O.P wouldn't mind seeing public transportation or anything else subsidized(unless its Lockheed or Comcast) abolished.

And SEPTA is patronized by Mostly Poor/Minorty people so nobody cares.

Is it odd that the better maintained stations are the ones used by Not Poor/Non Minority people? Compare Erie/Walnut&Locust. Compare North Phila/South Street Stations.
We need those Wine & Cheese Liberals from Montco and Delco to start using SEPTA
then all of sudden the SEPTA problem goes away.

As if by magic

btw Im not pro-street, and Im not Democrat but I am the Polar opposite of our President. Jack dont put ur faith in the Feds. equally corrupt if not more

·
Registered
249 Posts
Also not that those stations you noted to contrast are in Center City. In any city with a shred of common sense, the downtown stations are going to be better maintained than the ones in the neighborhoods. Period.

You really want to compare things you can look at the stations along the South Broad Street Subway - they're generally cleaner than the ones along the northern portion and they've been recently renovated. But the neighborhoods that the subway runs through there aren't significantally wealthier than their northern counterparts.

It's fair to say that all SEPTA stations suck. There's plenty of improvements made on Regional Rail stations and very few on subway/trolley stations where SEPTA's bread and butter comes from. The problem is The SEPTA Board, which is comprised mostly of suburbanites representing their communities interests instead of the interests of city riders more. That is where your problems begin and end.

·
Registered
52 Posts
City Hall

volguus zildrohar?

can we have a pronounciation of your nic. and an origin.

I agree with most of what you said, with the exception of

"In any city with a shred of common sense, the downtown stations are going to be better maintained than the ones in the neighborhoods. Period."

Bro, Look at City Hall Station. It's horrible. You are correct. Maybe I should have compared better stations. I like your comparisons. But It doesnt have to do with being downtown. It has to do with Ridership. City Hall and Walnut/Locust are 2 different demographics a block from each other yet Walnut/Locust keeps getting new coats of paint, new Tile, cleanings etc. Trade the ridership and you trade the conditions.

As for SEPTA's board. Thats plain criminal to have only 1 or is it 2 from the city. The place where it gets its revenue. How is that possible. Were not represented properly. Is it possible to change that. Is it a law? Is it up to a vote? How did they get there in the firs place. And how can we get them out of there as soon as possible(if possible).
Where can I get more info?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts