Skyscraper City Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Baby
6,532 Posts
Looks like focus are on 3 key sites in the 2008 master plan.

- New Downtown - Marina Bay ( Mak confirmed verbally )
- City Hall - North Bridge Road
- Orchard - Scotts Road

·
Registered
222 Posts
I think Marina Bay area implies more offices...

Newton/Goodwood area seems interesting ... implies under-developed (maybe under-priced ??).
Will they come up with another, grand vision ??? Or Scotts Rd as a natural extension to Orchard Road (Somerset-Orchard-Newton full of mega shops/hotels ? There is a 'gap' where the tourist stop at FE Plaza and the Sheraton (plus) Hotel Asia/ScottsHighpark. This Scotts-Orchard Road shopping district begins at Somerset, via Tangs/Orchard Turn, and may now end at Newton Hawker Market ???

Believe earlier plan indicated they wanted to build Newton MRT as a transport hub. What areas have enough room for the proposed SG-KL high speed rail station?
Will the gahmen/developers wait till 08 review or begin things based on existing 03 guidelines ???

·
Baby
6,532 Posts
Jurong, Paya Lebar designated as new business hubs
By Daryl Loo, Channel NewsAsia | Posted: 28 June 2007 1649 hrs

SINGAPORE: Jurong and Paya Lebar have been designated as new business hubs under the upcoming Master Plan 2008 review.

Giving a preview of the plans in a Channel NewsAsia interview, National Development Minister Mah Bow Tan said the move would provide space for Singapore's continued growth as a global business centre and would offer an alternative to the overcrowded Central Business District (CBD) area.

The Master Plan guides Singapore's medium-term land use and is reviewed every five years.

To grow Jurong and Paya Lebar into new hubs for businesses, the government plans to release sites for new offices, shops, homes and entertainment outlets in these areas.

According to the minister, the lower costs will be a key pull factor.

He said: "I think the best incentive is that it will offer cheaper office space – cheaper than the CBD. It will offer proximity to workers who live in some of the nearby residences. And of course, it's going to be a very nice leisure and recreational area as well. In Jurong, for example, we can redevelop the areas around the Jurong Lake, which can provide very nice retail and F&B outlets on the waterfront."

The specific locations of the sites have yet to be determined, but they will be centred around the existing MRT stations.

For Jurong, these MRT stations would likely be the Lakeside, Boon Lay or Jurong East stations, while the Paya Lebar station is the likely candidate in the east.

Mr Mah added that he does not see the need for land acquisition by the government as there are plenty of empty land sites in these areas.

The new hubs are seen as part of the long-term answer to the current office space crunch.

Mr Mah said: "It will take us quite a number of years to build up Jurong and Paya Lebar. I remember we took at least ten years to fully develop Tampines as a regional centre. So I think, depending on the reaction of the market, it may take just as long. This is really something to help us sustain our growth in the longer term."

Other more immediate options to ease the space crunch in CBD include sale of new sites and short-term transitional office sites.

As for speculation about drastic increases in plot ratios for land around the island to cope with an anticipated rise in population, the minister said there is no need for such a move at this point.

He explained that the figure of 6.5 million is actually a very long-term guide, spanning up to 50 years.

Mr Mah said: "If that is the case, then there's really no urgent need for us to drastically change all our plot ratios or up the intensity of all the various parcels of land that we have.

"We've been doing this gradually over many years. There has been a review of various plot ratios in every Master Plan and we've gradually and steadily reviewed the intensity and use of each of these plots. It's not something that we need to do across the board at this point in time, based on the reviews that we have done."

The Master Plan will also include new details of living options, facilities for leisure and ways to encourage rootedness in Singapore.

The new Master Plan will be put up for public feedback by the middle of next year.

·
Baby
6,532 Posts
Looks like the anticipation of plot ratio increases in the master plan 2008 is only in specific sites and not across the board.

From the past hints given by the govt, looks like the areas with higher plot ratio revision will be around :

-Marina Bay
-North Bridge
-Scotts Road

Now the hints by the govt are :
-Paya Lebar
-Jurong East

·
By Spirit
25,912 Posts
Land-use intensity: No sudden changes

29 Jun 07

Mah dismisses talk of increase in plot ratios; there's enough land for next 10-15 years

By Lydia Lim, Senior Political Correspondent
THE Government has no plans for a major exercise to raise plot ratios anytime soon.
In the lead-up to next year's announcement of the Master Plan for Singapore's physical development, National Development Minister Mah Bow Tan quashed expectations in some quarters that plot ratios are headed upwards, to make room for a future population of 6.5 million.

The plot ratio of a site decides how much total floor area it can support, in other words, whether its buildings can be high-rise or low-rise. It is also known as a site's development intensity.

In an interview this week, Mr Mah said there was no need for a massive across-the-board change in development intensity, as the land available today is more than enough to meet needs over the next 10 to 15 years.

That is the time-frame for the upcoming Master Plan 2008, to be unveiled around the middle of next year.

The statutory document regulates the permissible use and density for land parcels across the island. It is reviewed every five years.

Putting into context the 6.5 million figure, Mr Mah said it was the 'upper bound' for Singapore's population over the long term of 40 to 50 years.

The figure is calculated based on current demographic trends.

It would have little impact on shorter-term, land-use plans.

'There is more than sufficient land for accommodating our population quite comfortably in the next 10, 15 years, which is the time-frame for this Master Plan.

'There does not appear to be any need for a massive across-the-board kind of intensification...some of the land that we have is not built up to full intensity under today's intensity,' he said.

Mr Mah added that his ministry's strategy of intensifying land use gradually had worked well.

Coming in the midst of collective property sale frenzy, Mr Mah's announcement is likely to have the strongest impact on the sentiments of these sellers.

Dr Ong Seow Eng, deputy head of research at the National University of Singapore's department of real estate, said homeowners who have committed to sell their properties will have fewer reasons to be unhappy, while those planning to sell will have less incentive to hold out for higher prices, in anticipation of higher plot ratios.

He said the Government's strategy of gradual intensification made sense as a sudden change could put undue stress on road and MRT networks.

Mr Lui Seng Fatt, regional director at Jones Lang LaSalle, a global real estate consultant, agreed that the minister's statement would result in more 'realistic' expectations among property owners.

The director of research at property firm Knight Frank, Mr Nicholas Mak, said the Government might have wanted to avoid another round of collective sales as that would again reduce the stock of rental units and cause rents to rise further.

During the interview, Mr Mah also debunked some analysts' reports of a short-term shortfall in private homes.

Some 42,200 new private homes are slated for completion from the second half of this year to 2010, he said, as compared with a historical demand of between 8,000 and 10,000 units a year.

To help buyers and sellers in their decision-making amid a very buoyant property market, he said the Urban Redevelopment Authority would release more information on supply, demand and transaction prices.

'There's nothing like total transparency to help people make clear decisions, rather than to make decisions based on panic or try to influence the market on the basis of selective information,' he said.

·
Registered
367 Posts
"Some 42,200 new private homes are slated for completion from the second half of this year to 2010, he said, as compared with a historical demand of between 8,000 and 10,000 units a year."

But the big question is the demand right now equivalent to historical demand. I am sure it far exceeds historical demand in which case the 42,000 homes might be insufficient. Mah Bow Tan is trying very hard to fool investors.

·
dddddd
822 Posts
I would say the demand now and in the future is much higher than previous.

In 2006 alone, SIR has approved 9,000 PR/EP. But in 2007, SIR is receiving 30,000 applications monthly.

This is inline with the Gov initiative to increase the population to 6.5mil.

·
余博士
3,875 Posts
30,000 new applications monthly :nuts: plus 66000 millionaires:nuts:

^^ Now I Know Why Our Economy Is Red Hot^^

·
Baby
6,532 Posts
"Some 42,200 new private homes are slated for completion from the second half of this year to 2010, he said, as compared with a historical demand of between 8,000 and 10,000 units a year."

But the big question is the demand right now equivalent to historical demand. I am sure it far exceeds historical demand in which case the 42,000 homes might be insufficient. Mah Bow Tan is trying very hard to fool investors.
He probably act blur or simply ignored the enbloc fever that had + will be taking down XX,XXX units over 2-3 years.

·
Baby
6,532 Posts
North Bridge

I was at URA today.

I found that URA has just zoned Capitol Building, Capitol Centre (Capital Theatre ), and Stamford building as conservation area.
They were not conserved previously.

URA has also zoned Peninsula Plaza together with the above 3 conserved buildings into Commercial zone with a plot ratio of 3.5.

I believe this is part of the plot increase at North Bridge road in the 2008 master plan.

·
By Spirit
25,912 Posts
I was at URA today.

I found that URA has just zoned Capitol Building, Capitol Centre (Capital Theatre ), and Stamford building as conservation area.
They were not conserved previously.

URA has also zoned Peninsula Plaza together with the above 3 conserved buildings into Commercial zone with a plot ratio of 3.5.

I believe this is part of the plot increase at North Bridge road in the 2008 master plan.
yes, URA did reveal that it is studying the entire site for a future development.

When you think about it, such grand historical buildings next to that ugly Capitol Centre, something more adventurous can be done to encourage development.

·
By Spirit
25,912 Posts
Waterfront-garden living at Marina South, your views sought

13 Sep 07

HAVE a great idea of how city living should be in Marina South? Here's your chance to set a new benchmark in the residential district and win up to $50,000.
The Urban Redevelopment Authority has set aside 60 hectares of land there for a landmark residential district, strategically located between the Garden and the Straits of Singapore.

It said in a joint release with the Singapore Institute of Architects that it has 'planned 11,000 housing units and a mix of commercial, hotel and community facilities for all to enjoy'.

They are inviting the public to submit design ideas to showcase Singapore's Garden City image and the 10 best ideas submitted will be rewarded.

'The architectural ideas sought will serve as an inspiration and catalyst for the master plan to guide the development of the Marina South Residential District.'

Waterfront-Garden Living by the Bay
Marina Bay is the centrepiece of Singapore's urban transformation into a vibrant, global city. Several prime sites have already been earmarked for exciting new developments, including the Marina Bay Sands Integrated Resort and the 100-ha Gardens By the Bay.

Ciity living with magnificent views of the waterfront or greenery is the lifestyle choice of many Singaporeans. It is in line with the Concept Plan 2001- URA's long term plan that guides Singapore's development over the next 40 to 50 years - which called for more city living options for Singaporeans.

·
Baby
6,532 Posts
Over 40-50 years of development means I am Ah Pei or Ah Gong already !

I have already stayed in the CBD area for 8+ years, and had enjoyed the quiet environment over every weekend. I will move out when more resident move to stay in the CBD as it will become too crowded.

Just like Pungol 21+ which promised to take over 20-30 years to develop, I can buy the flats when it take shapes 20 years later. Those who stay in Pungol will have to endure the construction, the digging of canal ( or river ), etc over next 20 years. Oh, by the way Pungol residents had lost 10 years of waiting already for Pungol 21 :eek:hno: , so in a way it takes 30-40 years to realise if everything goes smoothly. ( oh, what happen if there is another crisis in the next 10 years ? )

·
Not Registered User
3,338 Posts
Well, I think the reason Punggol is deserted is because it's ULU. Have MRT but it's on the NS Line :eek:hno:

cheers

excelsvr

·
Registered
282 Posts
Many hotels in CBD and Marina Bay.Is high time they built hotels along the East Coast with seaview.How about that!If we could we should SERS those old Marine Parade flats and sell the seaview fronting plot to overseas investors to built hotels and resorts.Marina Bay already too crowded.No more space to expand.

Hotels along ECP?.Rumour.

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
Many hotels in CBD and Marina Bay.Is high time they built hotels along the East Coast with seaview.How about that!If we could we should SERS those old Marine Parade flats and sell the seaview fronting plot to overseas investors to built hotels and resorts.Marina Bay already too crowded.No more space to expand.

Hotels along ECP?.Rumour.
OK. tell that to Goh's elderly voters.

Marina Bay got lots of land. Just see MP2003. Plenty of white sites. Where got no space.

BTW Marine Parade is in final completion stage of MUP upgrading. So can forget abt SERS for at least 10 yrs.

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
I dont think there will be much changes in the plot ratio for MP2008
Yes. If increase GPR this Master Plan revision, then Govt LPPL all policy initiatives (temp off sites, GLS, incr in DC) to correct demand-supply imbalance.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.