Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 508 Posts

·
Grave Architecture
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Now that the demolition of the Ceres brewery's old industrial site in central Aarhus has started and the first construction is set to start soon, I thought it would be a good idea to finally get a dedicated thread to this great development.

Description
The second largest Danish brewery group Royal Unibrew decided to close its brewery in Aarhus in 2008, which was started as an independent brewery in 1856 with the name Ceres, before it ended in the hands of Royal Unibrew through several mergers and consolidations on the Danish market for soft drinks and beer in the 1980's and 1990's. Now Royal Unibrew has its headquarter in Faxe and production in Faxe and Odense.

The brewery has been closed for four years now and the first construction is ready to begin in autumn 2012, which is the first step in the transformation of the old industrial site in the heart of Aarhus and next to the river of Aarhus, to a new dynamic and multifunctional city district. The plan includes the construction of buildings for housing, education, retail, office, cultural purposes and perhaps a hotel. The beautiful garden that belonged to Ceres and closed off to the public will in the future be opened and function as a new park for the citizens of Aarhus and the inhabitants of the new district.

Photos of the Ceres brewery:

Source: Me

Source: Stiften

The new urban district has received the name "CeresByen" (CeresCity in English, and I wonder why they did not coin the English name instead?), a logo and a website for branding the development.

The official website is: http://www.ceresbyen.dk

Facts
  • Seller of the property: Royal Unibrew
  • Developer and constructor: A. Enggaard
  • Masterplan architect: C. F. Møller
  • Total square meters: 146,000
  • Local plan approved: 2011
  • Timeframe: 2012-2020

The Masterplan

Source: C. F. Møller

Source: www.ceresbyen.dk

Announced Projects

1. VIA University College Campus Aarhus C
Function: Education | Square mesters: 37,500 | Architect: Arkitema | Status: Under construction

Source: Arkitema

2. Parking Basement
Function: 2,000 car parking spaces | Status: Under construction

3. Housing Project
Function: 186 apartments | Square meters: 16,800 | Architect: schmidt hammer lassen architects | Status: New local plan for this project under approval; planned for 2014

Source: schmidt hammer lassen architects

4. Highrise with Apartments and Offices
Function: 129 apartments and offices | Square meters: ? and 6,000 office | Architect: schmidt hammer lassen architects | Status: Planned for Summer 2013 construction date

Source: schmidt hammer lassen architects

5. Social Housing
Function: Apartments | Square meters: 16,800 | Architect: C.F. Møller| Status: Unknown

Source: C.F. Møller

6. Office Building with Apartments
Function: Office and apartments | Square meters: 7,000 office and 2,000 housing | Architect: Sahl Arkitekter| Status: Looking for tenants

Source: Colliers

....and more to follow.

·
Mod nye projekter
9,845 Posts
Looks promising, and a clever move to open up the green area for the public, that shut the mouth on all the 'new-development-nay-sayers'.

The beautiful garden that belonged to Ceres and closed off to the public will in the future be opened and function as a new park for the citizens of Aarhus and the inhabitants of the new district.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Hi,

I don't think the corner will by included in the CeresByen project. I anticipate that the cityplanners wants to keep the corner "open" in case the Viborgvej / Silkeborgvej intersection needs to be expanded.

·
Registered
125 Posts
If you want to know about the new projects in ceresbyen i recommend buying Aarhus Stiftstidende today. I don't have online acces but the paper edition reveals information and renderings on 3 new projects i have not seen before.

1: A block next to Ringaardens existing block drawn by CF Møller. app. 7 st (no info on construction start)

2. 7000 sq Commercial buildings + 2000 sq housing next to VIA on silkeborgvej. Drawn by Sahl architects. app 5 st.

3. Not least. A skyscraper. 18-19 st drawn by SHL 129 housing units sorounded by 6.0000 sq. m. commercial building. Possible construction start summer 2013.

4. This one is in ceresbyens website. 5 blocks drawn by SHL including 186 housing units. 1 stage is 2014.

5. Then there is VIA which ofcourse is under construction allready.

CF Møller and SHL's building looks great in my opinion.

·
Registered
161 Posts
If you want to know about the new projects in ceresbyen i recommend buying Aarhus Stiftstidende today. I don't have online acces but the paper edition reveals information and renderings on 3 new projects i have not seen before.

1: A block next to Ringaardens existing block drawn by CF Møller. app. 7 st (no info on construction start)

2. 7000 sq Commercial buildings + 2000 sq housing next to VIA on silkeborgvej. Drawn by Sahl architects. app 5 st.

3. Not least. A skyscraper. 18-19 st drawn by SHL 129 housing units sorounded by 6.0000 sq. m. commercial building. Possible construction start summer 2013.

4. This one is in ceresbyens website. 5 blocks drawn by SHL including 186 housing units. 1 stage is 2014.

5. Then there is VIA which ofcourse is under construction allready.

CF Møller and SHL's building looks great in my opinion.
Would like to know more about the highrise part, according to former articles I've read the highrise should only be about 13 stories or so. They seem to have changed the height of the proposal then, has the localplan been approved for this?

·
Registered
125 Posts
@ Riverdale. 3. Not least. A skyscraper. 18-19 st drawn by SHL 129 housing units sorounded by 6.0000 sq. m. commercial building. Possible construction start summer 2013.

It is 6.000 sq. m. commercial building. my mistake.

According to Peter Thorsgaard (chef at A. Enggard the Local Plan for the area concerning the highrise is already settled so they are ready to start it up this summer. They are negotiating with tennants for the low 3 st commercial building sorrounding the highrise.

They want to make a smooth proces so when they finish the VIA foundation they want to start with the SHL highrise and 1. stage of the SHL blocks.

The article says 18-19 stories which matches the rendering of the SHL. By the way it is a very sharp elegant highrise kind of like Facetten in vejle.

SO to me it seems realisticly that the highrise part is taking of this year already. Everyone knows how popular Åhusene has been so other investors has probably seen potential in this even better area.

·
Registered
125 Posts
@ SimonDK, The third image in your post today is the right rendering. That is from SHL and should be the final design. The first two renderings are from the plan proces an by CF Møller. @ Riverdale, thats is one of the first renderings - the highrise next to prismet did not go through. And they also decided to maintain some of the buildings on the corner of Thovaldsensgade and Silkeborgvej.

1 - 20 of 508 Posts