SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 266 Posts

·
Scandi-friendly
7,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Fornebu

Fornebu is a peninsula located in Oslo's wester suburbs. Until October 1998 the main airport of Oslo was located here. After all airport services moved to Gardermoen, it was decided that the now empty space should be developed as a new city borough following the principals of the "new urbanism"-movement.

Fornebu back in the airport days:

The new urbanism-part was later toned down, but it's expected that about 6.000 appartments and 20.000 jobs should be fitted in the area. The first part of the new Fornebu was the head-quarters of telecom-giant Telenor, which was finished in 2002.

Telenor HQ in 2009:

So far, 2030 has been pointed out as the year when the area is completely redeveloped.

The future Fornebu-city:

Fornebu will be served by a new metro line, which has been delayed a few times. According to latest estimates, they will start construction in 2014.

Future metroline tying Fornebu(left) to Oslo downtown(right):

Many smaller and larger projects are completed, planned and under construcion at Fornebu today. The following thread will give you a glimpse of some of the best!:)

·
Scandi-friendly
7,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Got a first glimps of the facade of the new hotel and Aker quarter at Fornebu. Looks even worse than expected!:eek:hno:

Edit: it doesn't show so well from the bus picture, but it's huge white-ish aluminium plates and grey, almost frameless windows. It screams "cheap"!

·
Registered
602 Posts
Jesus, this thing is nominated for an award :eek:hno: ??? Well, it's taking horizontality to a new level ...

·
Registered
14,640 Posts
^^ Only nominated so far. The whole Fornebu masterplan takes horizontality to a new level. It's just a glamorized office park. Everything that gets built here should rather be put in scrapers downtown and then we could give the area back to nature or perhaps build a amusement park.

Here is a overview over Fornebu. Pretty nature though.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
^^ Only nominated so far. The whole Fornebu masterplan takes horizontality to a new level. It's just a glamorized office park. Everything that gets built here should rather be put in scrapers downtown and then we could give the area back to nature or perhaps build a amusement park.

Here is a overview over Fornebu. Pretty nature though.
Fornebu is not so bad. When it is all finnished it will be a great place to live. But they have done ONE huge and unintelligible mistake in the planning though. Why are the officebuildings placed along the fjord, the most attractive areas for people to live???

The area which makes up the central park, should have been the "city centre" with offices and shopping. It makes no sense that people working in Telenor can enjoy the fjord, while the people living thare has to look into the Telenor complex..:nuts:

·
Scandi-friendly
7,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've changed the first post of this thread. Please give me notice if you want some more info in it!:cheers:

·
Registered
14,640 Posts
"Will be served by a metro"?

Have they decided yet? I thought it only was a vision from Ruter/Forbebu awaiting approval from the politicians?

·
Scandi-friendly
7,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^^Pfff, you think the politicians will go against both the PT-company and the big corporations located at Fornebu, too cheap down on the future downtown metro-ring? The truth is busses and trams can't handle the big quantities of people needing transport to and from the peninsula, and unless you're accepting a car-based suburb, they just have to approve it.

·
Registered
14,640 Posts
I thought Fornebu would had a metro long before 2011, but what I think is apparently not a big factor when it comes to building these projects. I'm only saying that perhaps your sentence should reflect the current status of the project? This is after all Norway and it depends on Norwegian politicians. Not the greatest recipe for success.

·
Scandi-friendly
7,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A few pictures from today, when I finally got around to take some better pics of the new Aker/Kværner complex than the ones in post #2:

Towards Snarøyveien:

Corner (can it look any worse? Is this really final?!):

Main entrance part:

Almost same angle:

Backside:

Bonus picture from the pretty new facade cover at the old terminal building:

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Holy camoly! I had my brainbag of flesh and bones transported in an automobile, back and forth in the godless country called "Fornebu" today. Guess what, there is a lot of construction going on everywhere, I say more than in Bjørvika, yes siree. One of the newcomers rising is this little feller..;

Hotell Fornebu

·
Scandi-friendly
7,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
^^Another no-picture post? And yes, the apartments at Fornebu are being sold a lot faster than the ones in Bjørvika, but no one wants the office-space. I don't think total construction is bigger though. Maybe in no. of projects, but certainly not in sqm.

Original post for the hotel, with what I think is the latest render:

A contractor for the hotel at Fornebu has been chosen, and construction start will be imminent. The hotel, which will be a Scandic, will have 336 room and suites plus conference facilities and a spa. Building will have 6 floors pluss two parking levels, and will be in bricks (dark parts) and aluminium (light parts).

Expected completeion August 2012.

Design by Narud Stokke Wiig, same architect who had the original rebuild of the old terminal back ten years ago:

Building in the right end of this area render:

http://www.bygg.no/2010/12/peab-bygger-hotell-paa-fornebu

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I don't think total construction is bigger though. Maybe in no. of projects, but certainly not in sqm.

Original post for the hotel, with what I think is the latest render:
Sure about that? It all depends on what we mean by U/C, but here are some of the projects rising at Fornebu as we speak:

Hotell Fornebu 20.000 m2

Statoil 66.800 m2

Bølgen (Rolfsbukta) 5-10.000m2

Koksabukta 5000m2

Aker solutions 46.000m2

Hagebyen 5-10.000 m2

++

Somewhere between 150-200.000m2 is under construction at Fornebu right now.

In Bjørvika:

DNB NOR 85.000m2

Deloitte 17.000m2

MAD 7-8000m2 (?)

Sørenga (?)

It's probably a close race. Now I'm going to bed..

·
Scandi-friendly
7,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
^^What I DO like about the Fornebu-projects, is that they all give the impression of "no cost-saving efforts made":) No last-minute aluminium plates to cover up structural erros, no exposed concrete at the maintainance-room, no clas-ohlson-style electronics for lights etc. But I guess the people moving there are paying for it...

Thanks for great photo effort!

And the critique is of course that Arnebergs hage isn't part of the Fornebu masterplan;)

·
Landsc. Architect
2,513 Posts
Wow, there's a lot of construction activity out there now! I also wanna go back and see for myself. And the projects is turning out fine, as far as I can see.

1 - 20 of 266 Posts