Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's june now and they've still not named one single fuckin band thats gonna be playin. They can't put any stages up at the pier head because of building work and theres not been any announcement as the where the **** there gonna put the main stages this year.

Heard a little roumour yesterday that the council might annonce in the next few days that they're are cancelling this years event?!?!?!?! I fuckin hope not. I've booked to stay in the malmaison all weekend!!!

The city council have a 20 million shortfall as most of you know and are looking to make savings to pay for capital of culture year?!?! they tried to cancel the summer pops didn't they and some private company are running it now instead!!

I'll be well fuckin pissed off if its cancelled. Best weekend of the year in my book!

Anyone heard/know anything?

·
Fiat Lux
7,596 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. They were auditioning local bands a couple of weeks back so it must be going ahead somewhere.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So theres a planned stage in Williamson Sq this year is there?!?!?

That could be quite cool.

Is that the one with the fountain?

It is isn't it?

·
Fugly
11,306 Posts
It is indeed! They'll probably have the foresight to turn it off though. :)

·
Liverpool + Urmston
7,290 Posts
We agree to dis-agree.........

I hate this event I'm afraid!
Now Now Tony, every year you hate it:eek:hno: and every year I tell you its the only annual event that brings in 300,000 people into the city, fills all the hotels and pumps MILLIONS into the city economy, oh its also very entertaining for all the family.
Yesterday I was walking along Whitechapel and saw a large crowd listening to a "street busker" ,he was bloody good, the city should encourage more street entertainment.

·
Banned
18,269 Posts
Now Now Tony, every year you hate it:eek:hno: and every year I tell you its the only annual event that brings in 300,000 people into the city, fills all the hotels and pumps MILLIONS into the city economy, oh its also very entertaining for all the family.
Yesterday I was walking along Whitechapel and saw a large crowd listening to a "street busker" ,he was bloody good, the city should encourage more street entertainment.
I know.. and they obviously love it, but then there are people who quite like the cheesy renditions of Ferry cross the mersey on the ferry as well!

I know its popular and if I was king of Liverpool I would not ban it... I just hate the shitty way it has evolved into something akin to the worst aspects of Liverpool psyche, with all those copy bands and ancient, beer bellied men in leather kecks.

If I was king actually I would make it compulsory to only have new bands (from anywhere in the world)... special showcase Liverpool stages.... and original heffin material!

I also get the feeling that, apart from a few outside events to 'educate us' that the whole CoC will be one long MSF type singalong!

Fully agree about street entertainers woody... them and stalls (not the old hugely bloated Church St ones) should be encouraged throughout the whole downtown area..... people having a fundamental right to be able to try and derive an income from their city streets should be written into a new charter to mark our 800th anivarsary!

·
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER
20,723 Posts
If I was king actually I would make it compulsory to only have new bands (from anywhere in the world)... special showcase Liverpool stages.... and original heffin material!
That's sort of what they did with The Knowsley Hall Festival,local unsigned bands were given their chance on the big stage.

·
Banned
18,269 Posts
which was excellent.

A central problem that I think I have taken such a dislike to the whole matthew st festival was that it went against the whole sort of spirit associated with the place... from the birthplace of a new musical revolution, of youth and innovation - to nostalgia ridden pissfest!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Being a photographer planning on documenting the event I'd love to know wtf is going on too. Its either this or Creamfields and so far Creamfields is winning, mainly due to the fact that I know it'll happen.

·
Banned
18,269 Posts
wasn't it in 2005 that the culture leeches, the CoCheads, decideed to purloin the Matthew St festival as their own? Would explain the sudden flurry of incompetence!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts