SkyscraperCity banner

Do you want your cities population to increase or decline?

• Increase

Votes: 50 87.7%
  • Decline

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • It's perfect now

Votes: 6 10.5%
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
/BMOREBOY
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How big do you want your city to become? Ex. My City Greenville, NC has a population of around 80,000 currently and I would like for it to max out at around 95-120k residents. Name your cities current population, and name what you want it to max out at. You can even say you want your cities population to decline!

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I checked "Increase"; however, what I'd really like is for the city population to reflect the number of residents that have a city zip code. You see, I'm from Boca Raton, Florida. Boca Raton's city limits are about 28 square miles and have almost 90,000 residents; however, the people living in developments west of the city limits have a Boca Raton zip code. From what I've researched, that total area is about 90 square miles and has nearly 250,000 people. I just think if the city was to annex everything with a Boca Raton zip code that it would better reflect the size of the city.

And after all that annexation is done: YES, I'd still like to see a population increase. For everything that's developed there, Boca Raton makes such poor use of much of its land (parking lots, small buildings, etc.). I'd like to see increased zoning densities in some parts and a more walkable footprint... thus, more people.

·
Journeyman
16,767 Posts
Seattle has been transitioning for several decades from a "house" city to a "multifamily" city. Finally as of early/mid decade the number of multifamily units is in the lead. The spread will widen year by year by year. At the same time, land use will continue to be dominated by houses.

I'd like to see us grow by at least 100,000 per decade indefinitely. That might be overly optimistic.

·
oh my buddha
691 Posts
Like usual, I can't pick a specific city, since I don't live anywhere. I'll chose greater Los Angeles for the purpose of this thread, though.

I would like to see the region reach 50 million people by lets say 2035 and I want it to continue to grow after that. This is not going to happen obviously, but it's what I want to happen. I want to see the majority of this growth take place near the coast. If anything, I would like to see a reduction of population in the Inland Empire, I am not a fan of sprawl. I want to see extremely dense development in the LA basin, exceeding 100,000 ppsm in some areas.

G

·
My city Boca Raton is reaching 89,000-90,000 while the people out of the city limits reaches out to around 240,000-250,000 under the Boca Raton zip code.It is referred to as Western Boca Raton, or as a whole is called The Greater Boca Raton area which would be its max population.A few years back the city did annex some census-designated land areas outside the citylimits into the city such as Boca Del Mar.But still over half of the population lives outside the city limits.It probably would never be annexed due to the strict zoning codes etc.But if it ever wanted to increase or max its population, it would have to annex more or/and increase building heights.The population of the city combined with Western Boca Raton would be around 300,000-320,000.Sadly that probably will never happen especially with the economy but it would certainly show the true size of what it really is in the Miami metro area.I want increase.

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
Like usual, I can't pick a specific city, since I don't live anywhere. I'll chose greater Los Angeles for the purpose of this thread, though.

I would like to see the region reach 50 million people by lets say 2035 and I want it to continue to grow after that. This is not going to happen obviously, but it's what I want to happen. I want to see the majority of this growth take place near the coast. If anything, I would like to see a reduction of population in the Inland Empire, I am not a fan of sprawl. I want to see extremely dense development in the LA basin, exceeding 100,000 ppsm in some areas.
It looks as if the CSA will reach 21 mill by 2030 which is about the size of NY's CSA now. The region is resistant to densification but continues to grow. I think we will continue to see overcrowding and slum like conditions in the surrounding suburbs.

·
Green Bay, WI
491 Posts
Green Bay, WI

Green Bay is sitting around 104,000 currently. I would like it to get around 125,000 because that's what I think it will max out at. When that will be??? I will be more than likely dead.

:storm:

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
DC had a pop. of more than 800k in the current boundaries. I think something like 1.2 million would be a good population that would probably mean a lot of coverage in areas that aren't developed quite yet. That's double of today's population.

·
A B C
1,669 Posts
I hope Boston will max out at 1 million seeing how in the 1950s it was able to reach the 800k.

·
Love me, love my dog...
3,075 Posts
Atlanta finally began to grow again in 1990, and from 2000 to 2007 the city population grew by nearly 100,000 to 520,000 - and none of that growth was due to annexation. Atlanta has very little room to annex. Atlanta's 2008 population was 538,000...another increase of 18,000 over a 1-year period. I'm sure growth has slowed this year due to people staying where they are currently, but predictions are that growth will improve again when economic conditions improve.

I could see Atlanta reaching 1 million by 2040, and continuing to grow beyond that.

·
Possibly Registered User
951 Posts
Roanoke, VA:

Early 1980s - City of Roanoke population peak at 102,000

Now - City population 92,000 and dropping; metro population 250,000 and increasing.

·
Possibly Registered User
951 Posts
del

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I put increase since we are still recovering from Katrina but, not much. 500,000 will do just fine---we don't need anyone moving here that doesn't understand this city. I like slow growth, so you know those that are coming here are absorbing life as we know it in New Orleans. I would NEVER want to live next door to someone that doesn't suck the heads of crawfish!! :D I really don't like massive fast growth where you see bulldozers just razing the land...it is one sad element of a booming human population and they can steer clear of New Orleans. Let the other cities have it...want no pollution and destroyed environment around here..truly.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I put increase since we are still recovering from Katrina but, not much. 500,000 will do just fine---we don't need anyone moving here that doesn't understand this city. I like slow growth, so you know those that are coming here are absorbing life as we know it in New Orleans. I would NEVER want to live next door to someone that doesn't suck the heads of crawfish!! :D I really don't like massive fast growth where you see bulldozers just razing the land...it is one sad element of a booming human population and they can steer clear of New Orleans. Let the other cities have it...want no pollution and destroyed environment around here..truly.
NIMBYism is a terrible thing.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
would like to see Miami at 500,000-600,000 though it may be impractical at only 35 square miles. Right now it is one of the most densely populated cities in the US with nearly 12,000 people per sq. mile on average though i'm pretty sure building more highrises could take care of that issue.

Orlando could easily double it's population but most of the city is low density single family housing so I doubt that will happen anytime soon. In addition the suburbs are still expanding with no end in sight.

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
I also checked increase since the population of Chicago grew for the first time during the 2000 census. Our peak was 3.62 million in 1950. Now we are at about 2.9 million. I would love to see us hit our high again.

·
Civilization
2,713 Posts
Atlanta finally began to grow again in 1990, and from 2000 to 2007 the city population grew by nearly 100,000 to 520,000 - and none of that growth was due to annexation. Atlanta has very little room to annex. Atlanta's 2008 population was 538,000...another increase of 18,000 over a 1-year period. I'm sure growth has slowed this year due to people staying where they are currently, but predictions are that growth will improve again when economic conditions improve.

I could see Atlanta reaching 1 million by 2040, and continuing to grow beyond that.
I noticed that! For a time, Atlanta's population growth seemed stagnant, but all of a sudden it's boomed.

What's the reason if it isn't annexation?

·
Love me, love my dog...
3,075 Posts
I noticed that! For a time, Atlanta's population growth seemed stagnant, but all of a sudden it's boomed.

What's the reason if it isn't annexation?

Atlanta's MSA has grown by over 1 million residents since 2000...and a larger percentage of those new residents began to see the city as a viable option to the suburbs. There have also been a significant number of suburban Atlanta residents growing tired of long commutes, so they are moving into the city where they can have better transit options or shorter commute times.

Atlanta has very little land area adjacent to the city that is available for annexation. The majority of bordering areas are already part of an incorporated city or town.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts