Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Random
1,294 Posts
Pretty big for a city I'd never heard of before. What's the population? Funnily enough here in NZ there is a city called Hamilton with a bad reputation that is largely forgotten except for being the butt of jokes. That said, it, like your town here are rather nice.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Wow, I had heard the name of this city before, but I thought it was really a complete suburb of Toronto, not a separate but nearby city with its own large downtown. I'm embarassed at my ignorance! thanks for the pics.

·
always lost
530 Posts
quite a nice looking place. looks just as good in real life, too :eek:kay:

must suck to live in a city with such an awesome view of the toronto skyline, though.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Awesome!

I think I now have a new favorite Canadian city..

How come we never hear about Hamilton? (I'm guessing the hulking T-Dot over the horizon?)

·
Registered
355 Posts
If you are heavily into the business world and the steel sector especially you will have heard of Hamilton as the city was originally a steel manufacturing city that has grown to include so much more.

Stelco and Defasco are two of the largest steel manufacturers.... in the world? I have no idea if thats true but in Canada for sure.

Otherwise you don't hear much about Hamilton because of what was said above, it has an absolutely horrendous reputation. Partly because of its extremely high pollution rates I'm sure. Air and water now confirmed as the worst in Ontario. (province of Canada)

Edit: sorry the article I read recently states worst Water in Ontario with high levels of lead. However its poor air quality is widely known as a result of a large manufacturing sector.

·
____
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pretty big for a city I'd never heard of before. What's the population?
population is 700,000 metro

How come we never hear about Hamilton? (I'm guessing the hulking T-Dot over the horizon?)
Exactly

If you are heavily into the business world and the steel sector especially you will have heard of Hamilton as the city was originally a steel manufacturing city that has grown to include so much more.

Stelco and Defasco are two of the largest steel manufacturers.... in the world? I have no idea if thats true but in Canada for sure.

Otherwise you don't hear much about Hamilton because of what was said above, it has an absolutely horrendous reputation. Partly because of its extremely high pollution rates I'm sure. Air and water now confirmed as the worst in Ontario. (province of Canada)

Edit: sorry the article I read recently states worst Water in Ontario with high levels of lead. However its poor air quality is widely known as a result of a large manufacturing sector.
I don't think the steel plants are the biggest in the world but they're pretty big. Stelco has lots of problems but Dofasco is doing well.

The harbour is polluted since most of the heavy industry is located there and there is a lot of shipping. Hamilton is the largest Canadian port on the Great Lakes. The air quality is no worse in Hamilton than anywhere else in Southern Ontario though.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts

A two-story McDonalds :nuts: Damn , they really love them big macs in Canada !
Hey I've ate at that McDonalds before!

Hamilton is a pretty large city by Canadian standards (our 6th largest, 700,000 people), located about 70km from Toronto. It definitely is a separate city, as somewhere inbetween Toronto and Hamilton, there's about 4km of greenspace (or more), although that's itching to be paved over soon.

The reason no one ever hears about it is because it's right beside Toronto. As well, it's always been a very blue collar city with very few 'big' things of note internationally. It did quite bad in the last decade or so because many of the manufacturing jobs left the city, and there's a good huge chunk of it which is pretty run down and boarded up (about 2km from the downtown). It is making a slow comeback though it seems, as Toronto is filling up, and people are realizing that the low cost of living (but not suburban) in Hamilton and the relative ease of travel to Toronto makes it an ideal place to commute from.

·
urbanator
415 Posts
Hamilton, so close yet so far...
really, its less than an hour drive from Toronto on good days but I havn't gone there in years.

That mcdonald's is probably the most aesthetically designed one in my humble opinion

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yup, fully agree that it is one of the least known Canadian city. Studied in Mcmaster. When I return to my home country, people ask me which part of Canada did I go to, they will have absolutely no idea if I say Hamilton. I need to tell them a city about 1 hour drive away from Toronto, then they will roughly know where I went. Seems more people here know Edmonton than Hamilton.:eek:hno:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts