SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is up with this place? im surprised to see so many large scale industrial projects within la.

just wondering...

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
Ok.....Why should Duarte interest me? How did what is happening in Duarte be an LA problem?? That area is meant to be a dumping ground, isn't it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I definitely know this place. My house appears in that picture.

We got several things going on here. In the upper right, there is the Santa Fe Dam and the recreation area inside of it. Most of the middle are the gravel pits of United Rock Products and I think a few other companies. The light green areas are deep pits that have already been dug for rocks, (I think they might be ~150 feet deep), and I think they serve as spreading centers to replenish groundwater. Other spots are being filled back up as landfills. In the center you can see Irwindale Speedway clearly, but the photo seems to predate the dragstrip they have added. This is also a good spot for big industrial and commercial stuff, to be closer in to L.A. but still have some room to breathe. There are recycling centers, a distribution center for one of the grocery companies, and a ton of other stuff. Off the page to the east, along the 210, there is the Miller Brewery. And I think one of the holes in the ground was considered a while back for a Raiders stadium (Raider Crater), but nothing ever came of it.

(This is mostly in the City of Irwindale. The map also shows parts of El Monte, Arcadia, Monrovia, Duarte, and Baldwin Park)

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
^^ Interesting stuff Dodger Fan!

Since Botox just threw the pix in and no leads to go by, Thanks Botox!!!!

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
klamedia said:
Ok.....Why should Duarte interest me? How did what is happening in Duarte be an LA problem?? That area is meant to be a dumping ground, isn't it?
what problum? its was mearly and observation. sorry for asking a question about something to do with LA on the LA forum

DodgerFan said:
I definitely know this place. My house appears in that picture.

We got several things going on here. In the upper right, there is the Santa Fe Dam and the recreation area inside of it. Most of the middle are the gravel pits of United Rock Products and I think a few other companies. The light green areas are deep pits that have already been dug for rocks, (I think they might be ~150 feet deep), and I think they serve as spreading centers to replenish groundwater. Other spots are being filled back up as landfills. In the center you can see Irwindale Speedway clearly, but the photo seems to predate the dragstrip they have added. This is also a good spot for big industrial and commercial stuff, to be closer in to L.A. but still have some room to breathe. There are recycling centers, a distribution center for one of the grocery companies, and a ton of other stuff. Off the page to the east, along the 210, there is the Miller Brewery. And I think one of the holes in the ground was considered a while back for a Raiders stadium (Raider Crater), but nothing ever came of it.

(This is mostly in the City of Irwindale. The map also shows parts of El Monte, Arcadia, Monrovia, Duarte, and Baldwin Park)
thank you for your responce sir. how much of it are they planing on covering?

Ferneynism said:
^^ Interesting stuff Dodger Fan!

Since Botox just threw the pix in and no leads to go by, Thanks Botox!!!!
i gave you two leads... mayflower village and connection of the 21o and the 6o5

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
^^ Is that area (Mayflower Village) really a dumping ground.... Sick!

I read an article many, many moons ago about the majority of the SGV were trash landfills. That's the reason is was so affordable to buy there as opposed to LA. It could be since there's sooooo many train tracks and factories in that side of town!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am not sure how much is going to be covered, but some places are in that process, and at least one pit along Arrow Highway was filled and is now a business park. My best guess is that the ones with water in them will continue to be used as spreading basins, while the others will be gradually filled and reclaimed.

Some reading material:
http://www.ci.irwindale.ca.us/reclamation.html

1 - 11 of 11 Posts