SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
£6m plan for Ouseburn toffee factory unwrapped
Jan 25 2010 by Adrian Pearson, The Journal

CITY leaders will this week be asked to approve a £6m plan to turn the Ouseburn into a new home for creative businesses.

The former Maynards toffee factory in the Lower Steenbergs Yard is the centrepiece of plans by Newcastle City Council to offer targeted office space to graphic designers, software engineers and architects.

Business experts say the artistic sector springing up around Byker and the Ouseburn Valley presents an opportunity to bring new life to the derelict building.

If councillors approve the plan a request will be made to development agency One North East for cash. Officers say public sector funding is only likely to become harder to find over the next few years, offering council bosses a one-off chance to invest in the area.

The Newcastle and Gateshead city development company will be expected to take the lead on redeveloping the site.

This will allow regeneration bosses at the development group the chance to show an “early win” as they continue with much bigger projects such as the Science City development in Newcastle and the cash-strapped plans for a conference centre in Gateshead.

It is hoped the finished building will be home to 160 staff. Up to 47 of these will be new jobs, with 12 new businesses expected to move to the region

Bill Shepherd, the council’s executive member for regeneration, said there were obvious benefits in bringing together the digital and creative sector in one place.

He said: “We have a chance to make a big impact in a relatively short period of time. By attracting these creative types to one place we can offer real benefits to businesses that are already in the area but just a little more spread out.

“I know from my own experience running small start-up businesses that one problem can be trying to find the right office space and of the benefits of having like-minded companies around you.

“I remember once hearing potential investors from London talking about these type of companies and saying how the problem they have when coming to Newcastle is that everything is spread out, there’s no identifiable hub in which to focus their efforts.

“Well, this in an attempt to counter those views and this is where to go.

“And it gives us the chance to offer support people who are finishing their degrees in the creative industries who want to stay in the North East, to give them a shared area in which to work with like-minded people.”

Council plans will see the remaining walls and floors of the existing building preserved, keeping much of the remaining Victorian features exposed. The council-owned building should be in use by next year and almost fully occupied within two years.

The £6m fund will include European cash set up to move the region away from infrastructure spending and into new industries. Officers say the plans will be discussed at Newcastle Council’s executive meeting this Thursday.

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
in use by next year!?? i doubt it!

Would like to see more detailed information about this, for instance pics of what it will look like. it sounds like a great project.

·
Architect
3,725 Posts
If it's anything like the proposal I saw years ago it'll be a real landmark, although it could be totally different by now.

Either way it's great to see that they're going to make use of the remains of the old building. This has the potential to be something really, really great.

Looking forward to seeing some renderings...

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
detailed application in for the conversion, Xsite Architecture working with 1NG.

2010/0151/01/DET | Conversion of abandoned former toffee factory for office use with additional third storey and associated entrance and highway works | Former Maynards Toffee Factory, Former Lower Steenbergs Yard Lower Ouseburn Quayside Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 2NY

unfortunately the riverside bit to the north is going to be surface carparking, though i think this might be temporary.

·
Super Moderator
22,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Victorian factory is to be converted to offices
Mar 31 2010 by Peter McCusker, The Journal

WORK is set to start on a £6m scheme to convert a former Tyneside toffee factory into a home for creative business.

The public-sector-backed scheme has just been given final approval by One North East and with the tendering for contract process under way, work is expected to start in September.

The redevelopment of the former Maynards factory will continue the development of Newcastle’s emerging cultural district of Ouseburn.

One North East has agreed to give the scheme £2,750,000, and there will be a further £3m from the European Regional Development Fund with Newcastle City Council agreeing to contribute £250,000.

Work is also expected to start next year on 100 new townhouses near the toffee factory after the Government recently selected Ouseburn as one of three sites in the country for a new homes initiative.

Peter McIntyre, director of planning and programme management at Newcastle Gateshead development company 1NG, said: “This scheme is critical for the next phase of the regeneration of Ouseburn.

“Over the past 10 years there has been development at the northern end and we are now concentrating on the southern end near the Tyne.

“This will be the first of many projects and should be a catalyst for private-sector development in the area.”

The former Maynards toffee factory in the Lower Steenbergs Yard will be converted into 24 office units varying in size between 500sq ft and 800sq ft.

They will be aimed at the commercial creative market such as graphic designers, software engineers and architects.

The space is expected to fetch around £18 per sq ft.

When finished the building will be home to 160 staff, with around 50 of these expected to be new jobs and it is hoped 12 new businesses will be attracted to the region.

The plans will see the remaining walls and floors of the existing Victorian building preserved.

The factory, which was under threat of demolition 10 years ago, is a throwback to when the Ouseburn Valley was at the heart of Tyneside’s industrial revolution.

Following more than a decade of redevelopment work, the area now boasts artists and recording studio 36 Lime Street, the 1848 flax mill designed by John Dobson, which houses dozens of artists and craft workshops, the Cluny and Ship Inn pubs, the Seven Stories centre and the Ouseburn Farm.

David Cramond, director of capital development at One North East, said: “The toffee factory will be a major addition to the cluster of creative businesses that are already making the Ouseburn Valley a unique investment location.

“The delivery of this facility will be the first phase of a wider vision to regenerate the Lower Ouseburn.”

Bill Shepherd, Newcastle City Council’s executive member for regeneration, said there were obvious benefits in bringing together the digital and creative sector in one place.

He said: “We have a chance to make a big impact in a relatively short period of time.

“By attracting these creative types to one place we can offer real benefits to businesses that are already in the area but just a little more spread out.

“I know from my own experience running small start-up businesses that one problem can be trying to find the right office space and of the benefits of having like-minded companies around you.”

·
Architect
3,725 Posts
I wish we could see more images of the proposed Toffee Factory conversion. If done well, and xsite and a decent practice, this could be a cracking landmark for the valley.

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
i wonder where the journal got that picture from, as i dont recall seeing it in the planning documents. I think this one will be done to a slim budget due to public sector pressures on spending, so it will have to be very intelligently and sensitively constructed. those coloured panels in particular could end up looking awful and cheap, or just the right amount of liveliness to spruce up the industrial shell.

Anyway, it is great news that this will be going ahead along with the 100 large apts/townhouses (i'd love to see some visualisations of these). it's even positive that there's proposals in the upper valley too, even if neither of those are of the best quality.

·
Super Moderator
22,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A larger version of the picture in 'Post 61' (from a 'hard-copy' of this mornings Journal) plus a view of the site as it is now . . .

·
Architect
3,725 Posts
I think the top floor is actually accessible from the bridge anyway, although I have no idea what I've seen/read/dreamt that makes me think that!

I really hope this scheme turns out well, it's a great opportunity to create a high quality landmark down there.

·
Super Moderator
22,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Newcastle firm xsite architecture are awarded
Ouseburn contract

May 12 2010 by Peter McCusker, The Journal

NEWCASTLE-based xsite architecture have been awarded the contract for the former Maynard's factory in the Ouseburn and are planning to transform it into a home for creative businesses in a £6m project.

And now the public have the chance to see behind the scenes as part of a 40-minute guided tour of Ouseburn, with members of the xsite team as the guides, and an outdoor cinema projection of historic photography of Ouseburn, alongside future proposals.

The redevelopment of the former factory will continue the development of Newcastle’s emerging cultural district.

In March, One North East had agreed to give the scheme £2,750,000, and there will be a further £3m from the European Regional Development Fund, with Newcastle City Council agreeing to contribute £250,000. This will see the former toffee factory in Lower Steenbergs Yard converted into 24 office units, varying in size between 500sq ft and 800sq ft.

They will be aimed at the commercial creative market such as graphic designers, software engineers and architects. The space is expected to fetch around £18 per sq ft.

When finished, the building will be home to 160 staff, with around 50 of these expected to be new jobs, and it is hoped 12 new businesses will be attracted to the region.

The plans will see the remaining walls and floors of the existing Victorian building preserved, including the landmark chimney, whilst adding modern features. Xsite were chosen because of their expertise in creating spaces for the creative industries.

The xsite tours are this Friday and Saturday from 7pm and start at xsite's home in Ouseburn, Foundry Lane Studios.

Tours are free - For more details call 0191 287 2161 or
visit - www.xsitearchitecture.co.uk

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Did the Ouseburn walk today, From Brandling Villa, to The Tyne and spotted a few men in yellow jackets :) Then noticed there was work going on. It looks like just basic site clearing (Rubble etc.), but maybe something has started?

IMG_4184 by stamford0001, on Flickr

IMG_4186 by stamford0001, on Flickr

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Just remembered I got these pics of the old Maynards site, last week on my walk down by the river.

Some work continues on the site since my last visit.

29th July 2010

IMG_5002 by stamford0001, on Flickr

IMG_5003 by stamford0001, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Brims Construction wins Toffee Factory contract
North East firm Brims Construction has been chosen as the contractor to develop the former Maynard’s toffee factory in Newcastle’s Lower Ouseburn Valley.

The derelict buildings will be redeveloped into 15,000 sq ft of office workspace in 25 units. The £6m project is due to be completed at the end of 2011.

Jim McIntyre, CEO of 1NG, the city development company which worked with the council and regional development agency to bring forward the contract agreement, said: “The imminent building activity kick starts the wider development of Ouseburn which will ultimately see it provide a mix of office, residential and leisure uses to capitalise on its already well-established hub of digital and creative activity.”

David Cramond, director of capital development at One North East, said: “The Toffee Factory will be a major addition to the cluster of creative businesses that are already making the Ouseburn Valley a unique investment location and one of the region’s and UK’s most significant cultural clusters.”

The project is part financed by the European Union’s ERDF Competitiveness Programme 2007-13, having secured £3m ERDF investment. One North East is investing £2.75m in the scheme, with a further £250,000 support from Newcastle City Council.
http://www.propertyweek.com/news/brims-construction-wins-toffee-factory-contract/5005820.article

·
Registered
3,135 Posts

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
1 - 20 of 117 Posts