SkyscraperCity banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, sorry about another Rockford thread....but things keep happening. And to JB...who might read this, but promised not to respond to any more Rockford threads.....be assured that rail service to Rockford would also benefit Chicago. Hard to believe, Rockford benefitting Chicago in any way....but true. And to RockfordSoxFan (go Sox! btw), yep, it's another star article.

The reason I post these is that I really believe this should be news in Chicago, but the media there, being run by JB-types, ignores such stories.

Rockford delegation lobbies in capital
Larry Morrissey spends his first day as mayor pushing a transportation platform in D.C.

By CHUCK SWEENY, Rockford Register Star

WASHINGTON -- Larry Morrissey spent his first day as Rockford's chief executive stressing what he did during his campaign: roads, rivers and rails.

But Morrissey took his message outside of Rockford, joining a delegation of 130 Rockford area leaders Tuesday for a day of lobbying in the nation's capital.

Morrissey even buttonholed Sen. Barack Obama, a rising star in the Democratic Party, and had him spouting a favorite Morrissey-ism.

"I asked him what his priorities were and we talked about roads, rivers and rails," Obama said. "Our challenge is figuring out whether we get enough dollars in the transportation fund to take care of all the projects we'd like to do."

At 6:30 a.m., the delegation left Rockford on a chartered Hooters Air Boeing 737 and flew to Baltimore-Washington International Airport, about a half-hour train ride from Washington. The trip was sponsored by sponsored by Commonwealth Edison, AMCORE Bank and Rockford Health System. The Rockford Regional Chamber of Commerce, Greater Rockford Regional Airport, Rockford Convention and Visitors Bureau were hosts.

When the Amtrak airport shuttle arrived at Washington's Union Station, Morrissey hit the ground running, darting from meeting to meeting, starting with U.S. Rep. Don Manzullo, R-Egan, who discussed manufacturing, education and transportation issues with him.

Morrissey stressed the importance of his proposed "education and lifelong learning" czar to coordinate educational activity. Manzullo said Morrissey should make sure that person works to bridge the gap between what schools provide and what employers need.

"I know a company that wants to add a second shift but can't find workers that are trained," Manzullo said.

Morrissey, joined for much of the day by Winnebago County Board Chairman Scott Christiansen and state Sen. Dave Syverson, R-Rockford, told Manzullo that although he supports the Northern Illinois Commuter Rail Initiative to bring Metra trains to Belvidere and Rockford, "we want to let you know it's going to be a priority to bring rail to our airport. The airport has to be the first stop."

Manzullo and Morrissey agreed that the Rockford area will have to fight hard to make commuter rail to Rockford's airport a priority with Metra, the Chicagoland commuter railroad.

"We know there's folks out there who would just as soon not see any growth at Rockford airport because they want to build an airport at Peotone," the mayor said.

Gov. Rod Blagojevich presented a formal plan for building a Peotone airport to the Federal Aviation Administration.

"Ultimately, we'll put forth a local, regionally controlled operating company to build the (rail) infrastructure," which has been estimated at $80 million, he said.

From Manzullo's office, Morrissey went to the House Committee on Education and Workforce, to brief staffers on Rockford's needs and hear about legislation.

Staffers told him that the government wants to streamline the various federal programs to create a one-stop structure for people who need job retraining.

Morrissey suggested that Uncle Sam allow people who still have jobs to get retrained, rather than make them wait until they're out of work.

After that 20 minute meeting, the mayor power-walked to the Capitol Hill Club, a noted Republican establishment, where the Rockford delegation had lunch.

At the luncheon, Manzullo urged constituents to put more pressure on U.S. lawmakers.

"One problem we have is that we don't hear enough from people we represent," the congressman said.

Morrissey told the group that "we're going to have a lot of work to do. But we can see today that the community is ready to get to work. We sold a plane out in short order."

After lunch, Morrissey and about 30 delegation members hiked for nearly an hour from Capitol Hill to 14th Street and Constitution Avenue, to talk with Undersecretary of Commerce for Manufacturing Al Frink.

The meeting was closed to reporters, as were later meetings with the staff of U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Springfield, and Obama.

Interviewed later, Durbin said the discussions were fruitful.

"We talked about Metra, the (Rockford) airport and the future. And transportation is his major platform. I see eye to eye with him on that. So I told him, 'I look forward to working with you' and that's the way it will be," Durbin said.

The day's official events ended with an early evening reception in the Lyndon Johnson Room of the U.S. Capitol.

Obama was treated like a rock star when he walked into the reception.

"I didn't know that it was this big of a delegation. I was very very impressed," Obama said of the boisterous Rockford delegation.

Morrissey was upbeat after the trip.

"It's been a great day and and opportunity for me personally to meet the objectives I set out -- to meet with our congressman and U.S. senators," he said. "I let them to know I'm looking forward to working with them in a great relationship with the city of Rockford."

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
so...the newly-elected Mayor of a city representing a metro of a half a million people, within 100 miles of Chicago............ heads to Washington by a Hooters plane (that should be news enough) and meets with Congressional leaders (both Senate and House) to more or less DEMAND attention re:transporation initiatives that would greatly benefit Chicago by connecting the Loop to another 500,000 people.

this doesn't belong in the Chicago forum????

Chicagoans should be shouting and screaming in our nation's capital in support of such an initiative.

·
Registered
194 Posts
no thats not chicago thats rockford... what don't you get about it? this is a chicago forum if its not about chicago then don't post it here.

*also you shouldve name the title it something else. the only mayor i know and care about is mayor daley.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My guess is (and having met da mayor, he would agree)....

that you should welcome the expansion of Chicago. You should hang out with JB. Your (tiny teeny tiny) world views would mesh well.

·
Registered
194 Posts
you don't grasp the concept of this being a chicago forum not the chicago and everything in the 100 mile radius forum. you don't see posting about gary in here because gary is not chicago just as rockford isn't. you need to post you rockford crap in the midwest forum where it belongs.

right i have small world view.... sure... because when i goto a chicago forum i expect the threads to be about chicago not about rockford or gary or any other crappy city within 100 miles of chicago. if i want to read about rockford i'll goto the midwest forums which i migh you add you also make a mockery of yourself with your useless threads like, "Rockford US's leading GEN-X city " and "rockford leading america" .

just useless shit but at least you know where to post that crap the same needs to go with all of you rockford posts.

again let me say it this is a chicago forum. so keep it about chicago.

·
Cynical post-collegiate
937 Posts

that you should welcome the expansion of Chicago. You should hang out with JB. Your (tiny teeny tiny) world views would mesh well.
Name dropping doesn't change the fact that this is indeed an off-topic thread.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
and I suppose if someone posted something about Evanston, your righteous anger about crappy cities would ensue. You people are pathetic.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Rockford said:

You keep referencing me in this stupid post, forcing me to chime in.

What you don't seem to understand is that from my viewpoint, some of these things you post about (the 1,000 posts about Rockford Airport, etc) encourage more sprawl by making it more convienient for people to live in places like Huntley, Sleepy Hollow, Algonquin, and the like and continue to keep sprawling towards Rockford. That's what I don't like about it. My feeling is that many of these things help the residents of Rockford and the far northwest suburbs far more than they do the city of Chicago. I just can't believe that you think I would be excited about this kind of "expansion" of Chicago. I'm excited about new highrises going up downtown, infill in areas further out, and condos going up on the south side. That is what I am excited about.

I know I said I wouldn't reply to your posts anymore, but since you've decided to use your useless, uninteresting posts about Rockford as a private forum to take cheap shots at me, then you've left me with no choice.

And to that end, I agree with mypetrobot. Your inconsequential little posts about Rockford do not belong in the Chicago forum, even if you try and qualify them by saying that this is "great news" for Chicago. No it isn't.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Rockford said:
and I suppose if someone posted something about Evanston, your righteous anger about crappy cities would ensue. You people are pathetic.
You dont' understand the difference between Evanston and Rockford to us? You must be a fucking idiot.

I'll tell you what though, if Evanston elects a 28 year old mayor, I'll be all over it. I'm going to go right to the U.S. or Midwest forum, and call it the America's new GEN-X CITY. I'm sure everyone will be really impressed.

·
Registered
194 Posts
look at a map evanston is a lot closer and creates more of an impact on chicago than rockford i believe.

hell rockford isn't even a suburb of chicago. if it were at least then i couldn't complain to much but its well outside of chicago.

just because its a city in northern illinois doesn't make it news about chicago. i don't even know if i put rockford in the northeastern illinois region more or less putting in the area as chicago.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cheap shots JB???

Well, now I am a "fucking idiot" in addition to being a douchebag and an asshole.

Thanks bud.

Look, we are both people who love cities, urbanity etc. As someone who loves cities, how do you reconcile the fact that there are one million human beings living along a 150 mile corridor extending northwest from Chicago (on the way to the Twin Cities nonetheless) that have no access to train service???????????????

That's what these posts are all about genius.

Building the consciousness within the Chicago metro to forget about Washington and build a regional infrastructure that serves Chicago's future. And if you really think that the mayor of Rockford heading to Washington to demand attention to such infrastructure is of no news to Chicago.

then the names you have been calling me are a serious example of verbal self-projection.

·
Registered
194 Posts
it doesn't matter you post a thread named with "mayor morrissey" in the title.... the only mayor we care about is daley...

just because the article referenced "chicagoland" you feel the need to post in here. i would much rather have milwaukee connected to chicago before rockford. so please if the article is mostly about rockford like this one then post it in the midwest forum not in chicago forum.

·
Registered
207 Posts
so much anger over Metra expanding to Rockford? hah. comon, this is good shit right here. Metra is expanding to Milwaukee and Rockford. Pretty soon half the damn midwest will be part of Chicagoland.

how many fortune 500 companies is that? ;)

·
Banned
4,217 Posts
A lot of people(at least me), saw Mayor Morrissey, I ask my self, who is that? Probabaly some suburbs.

Rockford should be in the midwest forum like Milwukee, which is only 92 miles from chicago, closer to chicago than rockford to chicago and Milwukee's south suburb(Racine) is so close to Chicago's northern suburb(only 10 miles or less away in Kenosha) and Mil. is going to join Chicagoland faster than Rockford.

Point being, another major city closer to chicago than rockford is in the midwest forum, so does Rockford.

As much as I like Rockford, Chicago and rockford doesnt really have anything to do with eachother.

Wait some more(maybe decades) years, than Rockford could be in the Chicago forum.
Thats why there is an Midwest forum.

On a side not evanston is just next to chicago, only a street away. Having more connection with chicago than rockford.

·
Rockford, IL
55 Posts
Hey Rockford, to put it in perspective... I dont much care about Dubuque IA, about 100 miles from Rockford, nor would I care if Dubuque and Rockford were connected by rail, nor do I care about Dubuque's Mayor, or Dubuque's airport. Thats JB, RN, and MPR point, and I respect that. This is a Chicago forum, and the reason I found this forum, is because I love architecture, and skyscrapers. If Rockford IL had its own forum in the midwest page, would you want someone gumming it up with Dubuque news??

Sorry Rockford, I am all for good Rockford news, but as a fellow Rockfordian, your getting a bit carried away here in this forum....

·
Registered
469 Posts
Azn_chi_boi said:
Here is an idea. Ask the mods if an rockford thread, only for rockford news can be establish on the midwest forum page.
Why? Only one guy would post in that forum...and we all know who that would be.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.