Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
An Olympic-standard ice rink on Kings Dock is at the heart of £1.5bn of proposals for Liverpoool city centre unveiled today by Mayor Joe Anderson.

A range of exciting schemes – estimated at creating 12,000 construction jobs – also include proposals to transform Lime Street and Mount Pleasant.

At Kings Dock the council is planning the new ice rink alongside an extreme sports complex, quality restaurants and family homes.

I hope to God they dont build the Lime St (Futurist) monstrosity.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/liverpool-city-centre-15-billion-7128109

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Liverpool council seem to be focusing on the wrong side of Lime St!
The strip - which falls inbetween the Crown pub and The Vines - just needs restoring (tidying up). Its the side with the former ABC cinema which is the biggest eyesore. Horrible post war structures - apart from the actual former cinema.

·
Registered
16,286 Posts
I really like the proposals for the remaining land at King's Dock. The watersports course will be quite unique in the area, and should sit well alongside the wakeboarding centre in Queen's Dock. The ice rink seems like a good idea too - hopefully it will be more than just an ice rink, and will come with sufficient spectator seating to enable it to host ice dancing competitions. The support buildings also look interesting and of an appropriate scale.

The plans for Mount Pleasant seem good too. An MSCP in that area is necessary, but it doesn't need to be so prominent, and create such a roadblock. Downsizing the MSCP (as it's never fully used anyway), and locating it in a less prominent part of the site is a good idea too. Additionally, I always thought the 051 site lent itself to a taller, landmark building so it's good to see plans along those lines on the cards.

Moving on, although I'm supportive of the plans to tidy up Lime Street, the plans there I'm less keen on. Hopefully by time full plans come before planning, new designs will have come along, as the current ones are quite underwhelming. We'll see.

Finally, Edge Lane starting in three weeks? Must be getting chilly in Hell.

·
Liverpool + Urmston
7,290 Posts
Keswick, thanks for posting these plans, but this post should be in the Metro thread as its a long way off becoming a reality. Don`t want to whinge to much but the graphics need to be a tad smaller.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Well it's certainly more ambitious thinking. I really like the replacement for the 051 building/car park and I think it will help connect the city better from the Ropewalks to the University's/London road. The Scale in this area should be larger.

The Lime St run is truly woeful and surprisingly bland.

The Kings Dock/Queens dock plans look great and would add real vibrancy to the last part of the Southern Docks jigsaw!

ABC Plans are great too. I think that whole block though including the former Blacklers building needs a holistic rethink.

Clayton Square and St Johns also need to go.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Not sure how old those plans are for the Kings Dock area actually as the apartments (that took a while to build) around the arena multistorey car park are not there?!

:D

·
Human Being
42,987 Posts
Of course, it is the local elections next week......

I'm not sure about the Extreme Sports centre TBH....is it really needed when we already have a water sports centre? And this is quite clearly some sort of rushed proposal - in time for the IFB - so that some ideas have been drawn up to show prospective developers what may be possible.

I like the idea of film studios though- but would have thought that we need something bigger, and maybe purpose built - and maybe down at King's Dock, instead of the 'extreme sports' idea ( which would sit unused for a good part of the year).
And the old ABC cinema needs to house something more publicly accessible - as it faces people immediately upon arrival at Lime Street.

With the new exhibition centre and hotel, and with the many residents already down that way, I think we need businesses which would serve them: cafes, shops, dry-cleaners etc

I don't want to be cynical - but I think this proposal is more of a fantasy wish-list which has arisen due to a brain-storming session somewhere on Dale Street, and with one eye on the upcoming elections.

·
Registered
921 Posts
It seemed from the picture showing the Vines and the new Futurist that the listed Crown pub had gone, but one of the other pics from the Echo article shows it still in place.

I wonder if the plans for Lime Street have taken any account of the possibility of an HS2 terminal there?

·
Banned
15,506 Posts
Only weeks ago Anderson was quoted in the Echo saying:

“I used to go there myself. I saw The Life Of Brian there – I had nuns lobbying me not to go in – and I saw The Exorcist there. We have also got control of the old ABC cinema building and there are really exciting proposals for that, but, again, things are on hold until we know about HS2.”

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Would be great if the plans came to fruition, with the exception of that Lime St run, as most have agreed.

The top building for me would have looked great in place of those blocks standing where Mann Island is now.

·
Banned
15,506 Posts
The building designs are all purely illustrative of course, showing no more at this stage than the likely massing of the eventual real designs, should the various schemes actually progress.

·
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER
20,727 Posts
I don't want to be cynical - but I think this proposal is more of a fantasy wish-list which has arisen due to a brain-storming session somewhere on Dale Street, and with one eye on the upcoming elections.
Jane all of these plans have been in the planning for years, the King's Dock masterplan has been in the planning for ages and this was pretty much all that they said they would like to see in there is there so it's not some recent good news story leading up to the election and the ifb. There's a link in the King's Dock thread, I'm positive it's for real, the article hasn't said how it's all going to be funded but it doesn't make it any less real though. All of this was mentioned in the 15 year materplan but now they're talking possible planning applications next year. You've only got to look at all of the old buildings being developed, the Exhibition Centre, Anfield, Greaty, new schools, hospitals, the Mersey Gateway etc to appreciate we now get things done.

·
Registered
13,981 Posts
This is fantastic news. Clearly they are only outline images and they could have saved themselves some negative feedback by making the Lime St ones better, but I love the fact that they are planning SOMETHING. Once the city starts to plan something for an area, it generally gets done in one shape or another. Eventually. Some of these ideas could take 15 years to come to fruition but it's far better to plan for something than just sit and hope development will happen.

As has been mentioned, despite long delays in Anfield/Great Homer St, things are now really happening. None of it would have taken place without similar long term visions.

Interestingly, Lime St and the Mt Pleasant MSCP are all in single ownership now, which should speed things up. No need for CPOs etc.

I agree that IFB would have concentrated people's minds to get these plans together in some respect, but that's no bad thing. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see these images plastered on the hoardings being erected on Lime St over the derelict frontages. Basically, they'll be used to counter that initial concern people might get when arriving and being presented with Lime St as it is.

You never know, some visitors at IFB could end up looking for investment opportunities and you need to present them with ideas so they can start that conversation.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I really like the proposals for the remaining land at King's Dock. The watersports course will be quite unique in the area, and should sit well alongside the wakeboarding centre in Queen's Dock. The ice rink seems like a good idea too - hopefully it will be more than just an ice rink, and will come with sufficient spectator seating to enable it to host ice dancing competitions. The support buildings also look interesting and of an appropriate scale.

The plans for Mount Pleasant seem good too. An MSCP in that area is necessary, but it doesn't need to be so prominent, and create such a roadblock. Downsizing the MSCP (as it's never fully used anyway), and locating it in a less prominent part of the site is a good idea too. Additionally, I always thought the 051 site lent itself to a taller, landmark building so it's good to see plans along those lines on the cards.

Moving on, although I'm supportive of the plans to tidy up Lime Street, the plans there I'm less keen on. Hopefully by time full plans come before planning, new designs will have come along, as the current ones are quite underwhelming. We'll see.

Finally, Edge Lane starting in three weeks? Must be getting chilly in Hell.
I agree Chris. Like it apart from the Lime Street visualisations.

The ABC Cinema conversion to film studio could be fantastic - provided they involve the production companies and get the correct facilities/office space they really require. The West side of Lime Street between the ABC and Ranelagh St really needs to start from scratch. The West side of Lime Street - I personally think this needs to considered as a strategic site for a new Liverpool Lime Street HS Station. It may be that Lime Street Station itself can be expanded for captive HS2 trains, and some services diverted to make room - via and Edge Hill spur-like plan. If so, then I think a commercial office development should be considered for this site.

Those visualisations of the shop fronts between the vines and the crown hotel are like a nasty 90's out-of-town retail development. Not suitable for adjacent to the World Heritage Site.

·
Registered
8,175 Posts
I don't feel there's much point in focussing too much on the Lime St illustrations. What it does demonstrate is the scale of the land available for redevelopment... for something decent... for something worth having...

The mount pleasant plans look more detailed and convincing.

·
Registered
13,981 Posts
The studio idea has been mooted for a while, so they have obviously been talking to interested parties e.g. Lime Pictures etc. I remember the headline some while ago about trying to set up a permanent film studio in the city on the back of it's popularity as a filming location.

They could even get Bay TV filming in there, once they start broadcasting their local news output. They're planning to start this year from Toxteth TV apparently.

·
Liverpool + Urmston
7,290 Posts
Don`t Delay....

I don't feel there's much point in focussing too much on the Lime St illustrations. What it does demonstrate is the scale of the land available for redevelopment... for something decent... for something worth having...

The mount pleasant plans look more detailed and convincing.
I agree, the Lime Street redevelopment should proceed ASAP.[ not as shown:eek:hno:] and not be blighted by HS2 . I am convinced that Edge Hill should be the HS2 terminus with a tram system allowing easy access to the Waterfront, CBD, Liverpool ONE & Liverpool Waters.

·
Registered
8,175 Posts
I agree, the Lime Street redevelopment should proceed ASAP.[ not as shown:eek:hno:] and not be blighted by HS2 . I am convinced that Edge Hill should be the HS2 terminus with a tram system allowing easy access to the Waterfront, CBD, Liverpool ONE & Liverpool Waters.
Sorry, you misunderstand me.

Edge Hill is absolutely not the place for any railway terminal, being that it is a huge distance away from the majority of the city centre. There is no chance of any tram system in Liverpool beyond a limited number of hyper-local streetcar systems, but it would in any case defeat the point of having a 45 minute journey to Birmingham if you have to spend 30 minutes on a tram getting to the station (or indeed if you had to use any mechanised transportation method for any period of time).

Lime Street is the historic home of long distance travel in Liverpool, within walking distance of much of the city centre, and connected by Merseyrail to the rest. There are other strategic reasons of benefit to Liverpool of getting HS2 into there, primarily the push that then gives for finalising the Edge Hill spur scheme, boosting local connectivity, not to mention being something that can truly grab this whole area - from London Road to Mount Pleasant - by the scruff and repair it.

There is no need for HS2 to be anything other than an asset to Liverpool. An elegant structure connected to the existing terminal, at the heart of a much wider development (where you can see the scale of the area the station can merrily interact with from the designs), will go very nicely here and provide the gravitas necessary to truly transform this area, which will underpin all the redevelopment right up to Mount Pleasant.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I think as others have pointed out...all this stuff is not really new...most of it are aspirations that have been buried in various master plan reports over the past few years. Hopefully by going public Big Joe is confident that various operators and investors are on board and we will start to see things happen. Not sure for example what they mean by TV studios for Lime Street, who is going to operate them ...for what company...only thing I can think is perhaps Bay TV want their local station based there. Good news if we finally see some movement on Edge Lane would settle for demolition to get underway.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts