SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
city
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Citizens, let it be known that Ontario is leading the charge!

http://www.premier.gov.on.ca/news/event.php?ItemID=7944&Lang=EN

They are subsidizing a yet-to-be released U.S. built car. This is to reach the goal "to become a world leader in building and driving electric cars." Which is a noble cause.

Except there's no plan to add any new electricity to the grid. Building nuclear has just been set aside due to cost.

And it offers nothing to Ontario's manufacturing, as the Chevy Volt is built and assembled in USA.

My verdict: stupid.

·
~ Mysterious Entity ~
4,858 Posts
Ontario doesn't need new electricity to supply energy for electric cars since they'd normally be charged during non-peak times (namely overnight) when there is actually surplus capacity. As far as the place of production, I'd love to see Canadian made electric cars (particularly if made by a Canadian company rather than the Canadian subsidiary of an international company) but all such cars are neighbourhood electric vehiles and don't currently meet the requirement for operation at full speed in general traffic.

·
city
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't believe I forgot to mention, Ontario is a major shareholder in General Motors.

Just in case you were wondering what was really happening here.

·
Registered
13,365 Posts
I was going to mention that. If the province was really serious about this, they would offer the discount to any electric cars, and legalize the ZENN.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Until ZENN comes out with a car that can drive on freeways I doubt they will...

Although I hear ZENN is working on one.

·
Registered
13,365 Posts
They can allow it for less busy roads? Those little electric scooters can't go on freeways either but they're everywhere now. Why can't the ZENN be treated like them?

·
Registered
355 Posts
They are offering incentives to buy cars that are not even available yet and may not even be available in the projected timeframes. Greenwashing at its best. L

let's appear to spend money and be passing bills that have absolutely no bearing on today, uesless politics.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts