SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
(none)
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SUMMARY
Given the construction boom in Downtown Seattle and busy construction year of 2015, I thought it would be great to close it off with a meetup and an extensive tour of the Seattle construction projects in the afternoon of December 30, 2015. The weather is looking much better for long walks in Seattle for the rest of 2015 compared to the first four weeks of December.

This is a makeup for the canceled tour in August 2015 and the tour is open to all who are interested.

ITINERARY
  • Meetup at King Street Station pedestrian bridge & see Stadium Place East.
  • Walk over to Columbia Center, go up to the Starbucks on the 40th floors. Enjoy some drinks while looking down on The Mark, Madison Centre and northeast to Luma on First Hill.
  • Continue walking north into Amazon Campus, Denny Triangle, Pike Place Market area, Belltown (in no particular order) and visit all active skyscraper (>200'/60 m/20 stories) construction sites (we can skip the inactive Potala site). We will hit up 2nd & Pike, 2nd & Pine, Tower 12, Amazon Rufus 2.0 Campus, Insignia North Tower, 2202 8th Avenue, 2101 9th Avenue/Stratus, Midtown 21, Tilt 49, Kinects, 808 Howell Street (again, in no particular order).
  • OPTIONAL Depending on where we end up and how everyone's legs are feeling, we can continue onto SLU and take a look at the projects there. We could also catch the sunset somewhere around the SLU-Denny Triangle-Belltown-Waterfront area. Do note the sun sets around 4:25 pm.
STARTING LOCATION AND TIME: King Street Station, pedestrian bridge above Amtrak and Sounder platforms and next to Stadium Place East construction site. 1:00-1:30 PM PST, Wednesday, December 30, 2015. It should take about 3 hours to roundup the projects and enjoy drinks at the 40th floor of Columbia Center.

CONTACT INFO: My cell - 650-307-0813. If you are running late, call me or shoot me an iMessage or Whatsapp (can't receive text messages). Alternatively, you can head to the Starbucks on the 40th floor of the Columbia Center or wait at one of the construction projects from (except for Luma and Potala Tower) - if you are going to be really late or want to join in later.

If you can not make this tour, enjoy the burst of photo updates in the project threads and happy new year.

·
Purdue U. / Marquette U.
2,394 Posts
Really wish I could come, but that's right in the middle of a work day. Thanks for setting it up, and I'll try to catch the next one.

·
Transit Photographer
3,196 Posts
I'll make the 2-hour trek down for this, weather permitting.

I'm hoping to swing by the Federal Reserve Bank Building (2nd & Madison) sometime during the day as well.

EDIT: Forgot that I have an appointment that day. Whoops.

EDIT 2: And looks like that appointment is canceled. So I could make this one.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thanks for setting something up, but this is pretty much impossible for me to attend with a short notice and during the work week.

I would be definitely be interested in maybe a Saturday tour in the next few months if something can be set up 2, 3 weeks in advance...

·
(none)
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll make the 2-hour trek down for this, weather permitting.

I'm hoping to swing by the Federal Reserve Bank Building (2nd & Madison) sometime during the day as well.

EDIT: Forgot that I have an appointment that day. Whoops.

EDIT 2: And looks like that appointment is canceled. So I could make this one.
@SounderBruce - the weather is looking clear and sunny for December 30. I wanted to be sure we had clear skies and no possibility of rain for this tour. Yes - the Federal Reserve Bank Building is along the way - we can walk up 2nd on our way to 2nd & Pike, 2nd & Pine, etc. I can also give you a ride home to Arlington. Maybe you can shoot some pictures of I-5 congestion along the way. And there is a possibility of northern lights after dark.

I'll try to make it to this one, I haven't been to a meet up yet. No stops at a bar right? I'm not 21 yet.
@art5617 - We are not going to a bar.

Thanks for setting something up, but this is pretty much impossible for me to attend with a short notice and during the work week.

I would be definitely be interested in maybe a Saturday tour in the next few months if something can be set up 2, 3 weeks in advance...
@JD206 Points taken. Thanks for the feedback. I do envision these construction tours to be recurring events and I am thinking of another meetup in April. For this tour, the short notice is due to me wanting assurance of good weather and it is a challenge to find a clear day 2-3 weeks in advance during the winter season. Hopefully, for spring, it is easier to find a clear day about 2-3 weeks in advance.

Working during the week too. Any chance of changing to the 2nd or 3rd?
@BoulderGrad & others who can't make this weekday time - I don't mind doing another walk for those who can't make this weekday time on Jan 2 and Jan 3. (Correct me if I'm wrong) However, I believe the Columbia Center 40th floor Starbucks is not open during weekends and so we won't be able to look down on the The Mark and Madison Centre construction sites or northeast to Luma on First Hill on weekend meetups (unless someone knows another publicly-accessible floor or vantage point nearby that is high up).

·
Registered
725 Posts
@BoulderGrad & others who can't make this weekday time - I don't mind doing another walk for those who can't make this weekday time on Jan 2 and Jan 3. (Correct me if I'm wrong) However, I believe the Columbia Center 40th floor Starbucks is not open during weekends and so we won't be able to look down on the The Mark and Madison Centre construction sites or northeast to Luma on First Hill on weekend meetups (unless someone knows another publicly-accessible floor or vantage point nearby that is high up).
You are correct that the Starbucks isn't open. but the viewing deck is and the views from there are amazing (though not quite so good for peeking at The Mark or Madison Centre.

·
Registered Abuser
538 Posts
Y'know, that might not be a bad opportunity to switch Starbucks with a bar.

·
10,984 Posts
Meetup pictures

Beautiful day, good fun! Thanks for arranging this, Chun!

I'm sure that Chun and Bruce will be posting their pictures soon. Since they're much better photographers than I am, I mostly deferred to them. Here are a few of mine, some from Columbia Center 40th floor Starbucks, others from ground level.

First though, the cast of characters...

From the Columbia Center Starbucks...

From ground level...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts