Wilmington

Baltimore

Bethesda

Washington DC

Rosslyn

·
~ Mysterious Entity ~
4,859 Posts
I think he's referring to the 'Boswah' concept (Boston to Washington DC) sometimes referred to as a megalopolis since it's a large area of interconnected development but with multiple cores.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
The title is somehow misleading!

But that MexicoCity pano certainly shows a Megapolis.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do not think the title is misleading. Maybe I should have specified which megapolis. You need to read up on it. It is a well known region.

·
Here
2,065 Posts
The megalopolis is commonly known and defined as the long stretch of metropolis extending from Boston to DC.

You missed a few like Baltimore, New Rochelle, and Brunswick. But there are probably a lot more mini ones along the 95 that are insignificant, but could be included if you wanted.

·
No More Italian Mod
39,863 Posts
I do not think the title is misleading. Maybe I should have specified which megapolis. You need to read up on it. It is a well known region.
Yep, or at least in first post you had to clarify the pics are referred to East Cost megalopolis (with a little explication of waht it is)

Anyway: i saw you put pics even of Jersey City, Newark and so on... those places are actually in NY metro... then I think you could even put NYC secondary skyline, as Brooklyn one

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"You missed a few like Baltimore, New Rochelle, and Brunswick. But there are probably a lot more mini ones along the 95 that are insignificant, but could be included if you wanted."

New Rochelle I missed but the rest are in there.

·
chayawatchara
51 Posts
Bangkok mega skylines!

The city

Sathorn and Silom

Ratchadamri

Sukhumvit

Asoke

Asoke intersection

Crowded buildings

·
Registered
971 Posts
I think people are missing the purpose of this thread. Obviously it was to show that from Boston to Washington DC there exists a great concentration of big cities very close together with great skylines. Posting a pic of your ONE big city does not count!

It was a great idea for a thread and I'd love to see if there are any other megapolises in the world with such a large concentration spread out among multiple cities.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks MNiemann glad you get it....Every 20 minutes between Boston and DC there is some sort of skyline. I did not get them all because they are hard to find. For instance, Elizabeth, Morristown, Allentown...etc.

·
Banned
2,862 Posts
I think people are missing the purpose of this thread. Obviously it was to show that from Boston to Washington DC there exists a great concentration of big cities very close together with great skylines. Posting a pic of your ONE big city does not count!

It was a great idea for a thread and I'd love to see if there are any other megapolises in the world with such a large concentration spread out among multiple cities.
I agree. Some are misunderstanding the Geography concept here. In the Americas there are only two Megalopolis, both in the US: The BosWash ( from Boston to Washington ) and SanSan (from San Francisco to San Diego). Some geographers see another megalopolis in formation in the Americas from Rio to Campinas. The others Megalopolis, recognized by geographers are the Ruhr area in Germany and From Tokio to Osaka in Japan and that's all!

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks. Yes people do not realize how well connected the northeast Megapolis really is.
Some of these photos are terrible but you get the idea. Also the history is very rich in the region for the US. Paterson looks positively European.

New Rochelle is becoming a great place. Wish I could find a better photo. Also it is hard to find a good shot of Boston that shows the Back Bay and downtown skyline all at once. Wish I had time to shoot some photos.

·
Taking On The World
26,443 Posts
many people will dispute the term megalopolis to BosWash. It has been discussed here in SSC and at SSP multiple times. Europeans will readily tell you that the density between the cities cores in the BosWash area is SO LOW that the entire England area or a big part of Germany would be considered as "megalopolises" if the american density criteria was used there.

·
Taking On The World
26,443 Posts
SÃO PAULO

credit: Gerson Ibias (SSC forumer)

credit: Gutooo (SSC forumer)

SÃO CAETANO DO SUL

SÃO BERNARDO DO CAMPO

OSASCO

source: Wikipedia

SANTO ANDRE

source Wikipedia

BARUERI

source: Wikipedia

CAMPINAS

credit: Wikipedia

SANTA BARBARA DO OESTE

credit: Wikipedia

AMERICANA

MOGI DAS CRUZES

SÃO JOSÉ DOS CAMPOS

TAUBATE

SÃO JOSÉ DOS CAMPOS

RESENDE

VOLTA REDONDA

RIO DE JANEIRO

NITEROI

NOVA IGUAÇU

source: Panoramio

SANTOS

credits: Urbano Santista

GUARUJÁ

total pop: about 40 million

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the pics but I was hoping this thread would be more about the discussion of the Northeast Metropolis. I am starting to think that all of the cities are going to see a renaissance within this belt because of their accessiblity to one another.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts