Skyscraper City Forum banner
1381 - 1400 of 1412 Posts

·
Kairali
521 Posts
Don't ask me why the Kerala Govt does what it does, I don't think anyone is happy the way things are done.

Well none of those companies you mentioned there were startups from Trivandrum 😄

Calling VSSC a startup is like saying Ernakulam Junction is a business park.

And stuff like UST, they came cuz the government in their infinite wisdom decided to start Technopark in TVM and gave the city a 14 year head start.

The government giveth, and the government taketh away.

Even with that 14 year head start, Kochi has caught up with TVM and if I'm not wrong total IT exports from Kochi is either very close or more than TVM already!

That's what I meant by energy.
As per figures available Infopark SW exports are 6310 crores for FY 19-20 and for Technopark it's 7350 crores for FY 19-20.Technopark had crossed 7000 crores in 2018 itself.

Reactions: remobecks

·
Registered
689 Posts
Don't ask me why the Kerala Govt does what it does, I don't think anyone is happy the way things are done.

Well none of those companies you mentioned there were startups from Trivandrum 😄

And stuff like UST, they came cuz the government in their infinite wisdom decided to start Technopark in TVM and gave the city a 14 year head start.

The government giveth, and the government taketh away.

Even with that 14 year head start, Kochi has caught up with TVM and if I'm not wrong total IT exports from Kochi is either very close or more than TVM already!

That's what I meant by energy.
That's factually wrong. More than 60% of IT exports of kerala are from TVM( not just Technopark though as envestnet, EY etc are not in TP)

Talking of startups. Lets tall quality not quantity. The most successful homegrown product startup recently from Kerala is CareStack. And that is from Trivandrum. IBS and Suntec are both among the best IT product companies in India and they both were incubated here and scaled up in Kerala. The most famous of them due to its Social impact is GenRobotics and that's again from TVM. Forget services companies. I am referring to SaaS or Product firms. FlyTXT is a world leader in telecom analytics products and again is from TVM.

So pls check your facts before making bold claims .

·
Banned
153 Posts
That's why I said, it's either close or Kochi's overtaken. IP's exports grew by over 1100 cr in the last available report while TP's grew just 350 cr.

If you add to this the wealth of companies outside such as in KINFRA, CSEZ, Smart City, etc, I'd say that the difference would be minute or Kochi may even be ahead.

So yeah, my facts are pretty good. I even inserted a caveat cuz all the data isn't freely available and recent data isn't even published. Let's wait for FY 2021 data.

Aaannd. The argument could be made that although now based at Bangalore, FreshtoHome was founded as SeatoHome in Kochi in 2011, and it's raised more than CareStack (which is now based out of Florida)

·
Registered
3,177 Posts

Just read the begining story of VSSC.
India's Space journey started with some International Space Program called INSCOPAR..
Later on this became TERLS and their Advanced Research Center Became VSSC.

These areas are still preserved as Space Museum.Visit there,when you come to Trivandrum.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Been noticing this avalanche of comments from kochi guys in Trivandrum forums recently. They want to prove how brands in kochi Lulu are “better “ than the ones in Trivandrum . They want to prove that Kochi is the primordial energy source of all startups in Kerala . Next will be Vizhinjam . 😅. Like the famous Dhrishyam 2 meme : “eniku ningale manasilaakunnilla” muraliGopi.jpg .

·
Banned
153 Posts

India's Space journey started with some International Space Program called INSCOPAR..

These areas are still preserved as Space Museum.Visit there,when you come to Trivandrum.
It was still set up by the GoI.

What I meant is, you can't call a government enterprise a startup (well you can, but you'd be wrong)

And about Kochi guys on this forum, I saw Kochi being mentioned and complains against OC for "denying" TVM the startup ecosystem that Kochi has.

Just wanted to correct that.

·
Travancore
436 Posts
I know many EKM guys, they don’t have any issue with regionalism. The guys who have issue are from adjoining districts.

Many of the guys exited now are not real EKM guys.

These are like Mujahirs in Pakistan, they show more enmity towards India.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
It was still set up by the GoI.

What I meant is, you can't call a government enterprise a startup (well you can, but you'd be wrong)

And about Kochi guys on this forum, I saw Kochi being mentioned and complains against OC for "denying" TVM the startup ecosystem that Kochi has.

Just wanted to correct that.
Read the KSUM section from Technopark Page in :

In 2015 T-Tbi ( Technopark Technology Buisness Incubator ) rebranded as Kerala Startup Mission".
This rebranding was converting it from the Technopark - business incubator to a laisoning/nodal office.
That was the reason for setback for startups in Trivandrum.

Many people associated with T-BIC like Kris Gopalakrishnan,Chandrasekhar were shifted to new roles.

·
Banned
153 Posts
Read the KSUM section from Technopark Page in :

This rebranding was converting it from the Technopark - business incubator to a laisoning/nodal office.
That was the reason for setback for startups in Trivandrum.

Many people associated with T-BIC like Kris Gopalakrishnan,Chandrasekhar were shifted to new roles.
I don't understand - T-BIC was rebranded but the offices in TVM were retained. TVM has it's own incubators and office space available -just that it's less than Kochi.

Such re brandings and meddling often take place in Kerala, more often than not at Kochi's expense (Remember JNNURM A/C buses?)

What's your complaint here? That Kochi was given a share of the projects?

And about people being shifted out, that is routine in any project, governmental or private. That's how KMRL went from Elias George to Loknath Behra.

·
Banned
153 Posts
Listen, if you said something like, the Government of Kerala hasn't done enough to realize the state's potential (which includes TVM, of course), I'd agree with you.

But when you say the govt is favoring Kochi at TVM's expense, c'mon man. That's objectively not true.

Also, while listing startups from TVM - you should be listing establishments like Asianet, rather than stuff like VSSC.

Asianet was a true startup of it's time and a game changer in Malayalam TV.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
If You say E Sreedharan's name,I can agree.Don't compare Kris Gopalakrishnan or Chandrasekhar with Elias John or Beharaa.The former one was a professional.
In my view, even Mr. Sreedharan will not measure up in professionalism to Kris and people like him. Mr. Sreedharan is a typical government bureaucrat and knows how to play up to the political masters or vested interests, often compromising professionalism.

·
Registered
204 Posts

That article in that link you provided says on November 21, 1963, India successfully launched the subcontinent’s first sounding rocket.

Not exactly true.

In fact Pakistan Rehbar-I was subcontinents first rocket; launched by Pakistan's Space and Upper Atmosphere Research Commission (SUPARCO), on 7 June 1962. A good 1 year and 5 months before India.

Just see where our space programs are now. We are a space power now and space program is in shambles. All thanks to the great Sarabhai. No matter how far our city progresses, in which all spheres, the thing to be proud of (atleast for me) is that it’s our city that started India’s space journey.

Who knows a ‘century or two’ down the line we may find another planet to settle in and then establish few Technoparks and Technocity there!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Its been years since Tcs has been holding up the huge land parcel.If i m correct..more than 10 years.Since the global learning centre got outdated,not sure what exactly is stopping them from moving forward with building something.

Regarding WTC, the only update that we are recieving is that construction is about to begin.Thats what i ve been hearing right from 2019.I m curious to know what exactly is causing delay

Similar is the case with space park and Nissan

Is it the environmental clearences which causes these delays ?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Its been years since Tcs has been holding up the huge land parcel.If i m correct..more than 10 years.Since the global learning centre got outdated,not sure what exactly is stopping them from moving forward with building something.

Regarding WTC, the only update that we are recieving is that construction is about to begin.Thats what i ve been hearing right from 2019.I m curious to know what exactly is causing delay

Similar is the case with space park and Nissan

Is it the environmental clearences which causes these delays ?
1400th post
Yeah. Except for Sun Tec, all the other good projects in Technocity including TCS and WTC are delayed

1381 - 1400 of 1412 Posts