SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 371 Posts

·
klite
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since this is not a rail based system and ground breaking has taken place, I feel it deserves its own thread. Don't know why they have to name it Aerorail when it is originally called Aerobus and there is actually no rails but cables

Melaka To Have Aerorail System

MELAKA, Feb 27 (Bernama) -- Melaka is to have a RM1.8 billion Aerorail urban mass transit system, the first in Malaysia and Southeast Asia, which will be completed by 2010.

The Aerorail system will be built, operated and managed by Pyramid Express Sdn Bhd while the technical and project management support will be provided by Pinggiran Pelangi Sdn Bhd, the local agent of Aerobus International of Houston, USA.

Pyramid Express managing director Datuk Lim Sue Beng said today the company expects to earn RM600,000 a month from the operation of the aerorail system when it goes into service.

He said the aerorail will be built in two phases and the construction work will start within six months with a capital investment of RM586 million, while the second phase will cost RM807 million.

"For the moment, the second phase will only start after the repayment of the cost of the first phase is completed," he said after the ground-breaking ceremony for the first Aerorail Hotel and Station at Lebuh Ayer Keroh here.

Lim said the first phase will cover a distance of 9.565 km, which will include the construction of 10 station hotels.

In the second phase, another 8.77 km with an additional three stations will be built.

The system will cover a distance of 18.4 km. The route begins near the Ayer Keroh toll plaza and will proceed to Melaka Zoo, Melaka International Trade Centre, Melaka Mall, Melaka General Hospital, Melaka Sentral, Hang Tuah Mall, across the river to the Clock Tower and ends at the Mahkota Medical Centre in Bandar Hilir.

Upon the completion of the aerorail system, there will be 10 stations with 10 250-room 4-star hotels.

Lim said the company is investing RM500 million in the hotels.

Melaka chief minister Datuk Seri Mohd Ali Mohd Rustam, who performed the ground breaking ceremony, said the entire project is expected to create more than 5,000 job opportunities for the local population as well as economic benefits to local businesses.

"The Aerorail will also be a tourist attraction for both local and international visitors as it will be the only one in this region.

"In addition, it will be a convenient and efficient transport system for the benefit of the local population," he said.

Mohd Ali said the Aerorail will be a welcome boost for Melaka as it will not only reduce traffic congestion and pollution but also cater to the increasing tourist population, which is expected to reach more than eight million in 2010 from the 5.7 million last year.

website of Aerobus International http://www.aerobus.com/home.html

·
All Urban
4,348 Posts
sigh...it's a system for tourists...not locals...why do Malaysian governments persist in using gimmicks for public transportation????....:bash:

10 stations with 10 4-star hotels...:nuts:

What is the point of a system that would have to be shut down everytime there is a serious thunderstorm?

Cheers, m

·
All Urban
4,348 Posts
WTF is an aerorail.
it's a cross between a cable car and monorail...with "modules" connected together...into a "train"

Officially it is known as "Aerobus" by the company that built it (they've tested 2 versions, and are constructing one in China at the moment)...

I guess "Aerorail" sounds better than "Aerobus"....

Either way, it is a tourist system, with low capacity per train...headways could be high but it doesnt look like that is the plan, since there will be a 2 minute stop at every station....

Not a terrible piece of technology...but is it really practical for urban transit applications? Is it practical for application in Malacca?

BTW...I think the original plan for the monorail was to use the Aerobus technology but that fell through...then they shifted to Hitachi...then Mtrans after the 1997 crisis....

Cheers, m

·
All Urban
4,348 Posts
let's see what they have to say about this....

Cheers, m

RE: Aerorail proposed for Malacca - is this the appropriate choice?

When it was originally announced that Malacca city would have a revolving tower and LRT or monorail, I was definitely intrigued by the proposal. After all, Malacca does need some improvements to public transportation, and a revolving tower sounded like an interesting way to see this lovely historical city.

I only worried that the proposed tower and LRT or monorail might actually be built too close to the historic city. This fear came to life when construction at the original site of the revolving tower revealed that this was the site of one of the walls of the historic fort A'Famosa.

Fortunately, the government chose to move the tower its new site in Bandar Hilir, near Dataran Pahlawan, leaving the historical site alone.

But there was another concern in my mind, about the proposed LRT or monorail. The announcement seemed to focus on the benefits to tourists rather than the benefits to the people of Malacca. I worried that the LRT or monorail would be designed with tourists in mind, instead of being designed for the needs of Malacca's population.

Last night Chief Minister Datuk Seri Mohd. Ali Rustam announced the RM1.5 Billion "Aerorail" project, confirming that the urban transportation system that had been promised was not much more than a project for tourists.

The "Aerorail" is a name being given to the "Aerobus" technology built and marketed by Aerobus International. The reason for the change to "rail" is probably to imply that this is a "rail" system, which sounds better than a "bus."

But no matter what they choose to call it, this is not an effective choice for an urban transportation system. What we have is a RM1.5 billion "people-mover" system built to cater to the needs of tourists. The design for the "Aerobus" shows a vehicle that is a combination of a cable car (like the Genting Skyway or Panorama Langkawi) and a small monorail system (like the Sunway monorail). This technology is interesting but largely untried. There have only been 2 applications of the "Aerobus" so far. The first was a test line in Mannheim, Germany, and the other was at a ski resort in Quebec, Canada. Neither of these lines are still operating. There is a tourist-oriented "Aerobus" under construction in WeiHai, China. Interestingly enough, the "Aerobus" was even proposed for Kuala Lumpur in the 1990s, but ultimately rejected in favour of the monorail.

I am not criticizing the Malacca government for choosing the Aerobus system to build their "Aerorail" line for tourists. In fact, for a tourist-focused line, this technology actually makes sense. Perhaps, as the Chief Minister has said, the line itself will draw tourists.

However, what disappoints me is that the state government has encouraged us to believe, that they were building an urban transportation system to reduce traffic congestion in Malacca.

I am now concerned that the proposed "Aerorail" would do very little to improve traffic congestion and also prevent a proper urban transportation system from being built. The well documented failure of the Las Vegas Monorail should be an example of what not to follow. The last thing that Malacca needs is a poorly designed, costly unpopular and unused system that only benefits tourists.

Also, what is going to be done to improve public transportation and traffic congestion in Malacca over the next 6 years, while the project is under construction? Even when the project is completed, it will not do much to improve existing roads and public transportation. Malacca still needs a properly organized bus system with decent, frequent bus service, as well as additional roads and flyovers to reduce traffic congestion in the urban areas.

·
PROUD 2 B MALAYSIAN
38,439 Posts
anyway dis aerorail look scary....

n wanna knw y dey use aerorail??? coz its cheaper....

Aerobus Cost Comparison

Mass Transit Option Cost Per Mile
Subway 300m
Heavy Rail 150m
Light Rail 100m
Monorail 75m
Aerobus 15 to 30m

·
Registered
545 Posts
I think Melaka sud have one for the sake of the citizens and NOT for tourists... i read one chinese papers today said that the whole journey for one way cost rm 4.30...tat sound alot to me.... and is just one way for the whole journey....kinda expensive...even LRT in KL aso nt tat expensive for 1 way...

·
Registered
262 Posts
sigh...it's a system for tourists...not locals...why do Malaysian governments persist in using gimmicks for public transportation????....:bash:

What is the point of a system that would have to be shut down everytime there is a serious thunderstorm?

Cheers, m
I'm being skeptical too about this project. It just looks good but not practical. Why does each station need a hotel? Do they take into account of the cost of hotel per each station? Stop wasting taxpayers' money and spend wisely on conventional lrt or other rail-based transportation mode.

·
Banned
3,880 Posts

Cheers, m

don't worry allurban, it's all political gimmick since now is an election week, so...soon they will 'replan' the whole project again...

damn, are they trying to make melaka as 'theme park' rather than a 'heritage site'?:eek:hno:

·
All Urban
4,348 Posts
I think Melaka sud have one for the sake of the citizens and NOT for tourists... i read one chinese papers today said that the whole journey for one way cost rm 4.30...tat sound alot to me.... and is just one way for the whole journey....kinda expensive...even LRT in KL aso nt tat expensive for 1 way...
well, the project is for the tourists...many of whom wont object to paying RM4.30 for the whole trip...thanks to the highly favourable exchange rate for the RM to most foreign currencies...but not all tourists will use the aerorail if it is poorly designed...look at what happened in Las Vegas with their monorail....
I'm being skeptical too about this project. It just looks good but not practical. Why does each station need a hotel? Do they take into account of the cost of hotel per each station? Stop wasting taxpayers' money and spend wisely on conventional lrt or other rail-based transportation mode.
On the whole, the plan makes sense...a great people mover project for the tourists...hotels at stations provides for the tourists...the hanging design and the uniqueness means adventure for the tourists...hell, Im going up to Langkawi and I definitely want to see the Panorama Langkawi Cable Car....

Sigh...if the government wants to invest in untried technology that is fine...but dont pretend that it is really urban transportation...:bash: dont pretend that it is for the people! :bash:

Oh, here's another question...is Prasarana (government-owned National Infrastructure Co. which owns the LRT and cable car) involved in this project? It should make sense to have them involved...rather than a private one...

Cheers, m

·
Registered
545 Posts
I dun tink tats tax payer's money...is fully funded by PFI not by the government....

·
Penang Skyscrapers Hunter
10,128 Posts
anyway dis aerorail look scary....

n wanna knw y dey use aerorail??? coz its cheaper....

Aerobus Cost Comparison

Mass Transit Option Cost Per Mile
Subway 300m
Heavy Rail 150m
Light Rail 100m
Monorail 75m
Aerobus 15 to 30m
i think monorail should be cheaper since the aerobus costs RM1.8 billion for 18.4km but the monorail in Penang costs RM1.5 billion for over 30km??

·
Registered
608 Posts
i think monorail should be cheaper since the aerobus costs RM1.8 billion for 18.4km but the monorail in Penang costs RM1.5 billion for over 30km??
Could the money go to some ppl in the government? Or perhaps that include the 10 4 star hotels......

·
Registered
163 Posts
As far i am concerned the decision to use an aerorail is a bad decision. Why build something the other world rarely use. I know there is one in Germany but this thing is all about giving their 'friend chances'. For long term it is better to invest in LRT/MRT as it can carry more passengers. Melaka is not going to go small in the future but will grow into a big city. If this system is meant to be used by the tourist then there's no need to build one. The citizen expect to have a better transportation system as they are the one who will frequently use it. I just hope they will learn the mistakes of KL public transport. 3 different rail systems LRT 2 types and 1 monorail is not a good way to waste money. A proper long term plan which will serve the need of Malacan is needed. Personally if there are ppl whining about the jams in Melaka in the future i think you know who/what to blame.

·
Banned
3,880 Posts
i'm waiting for the black and white master plan...than i'll talk further. since now the launch just made for election gimmick...wasting time only to talk/condemn/bash state government over this...

·
Infrastructure
10,042 Posts
I wonder if the Aerobus has any room for expansion later, i think LRT, or at least, monorail is a better choice than this....

I also afraid the pylons will spoil the skyline....

1 - 20 of 371 Posts