SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
76,997 Posts
gee at first glance i thought this pic was Circular Quay with cahill exway infront.

some good pix and some not so good.lol

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
^^^Still interesting though.
I like the shot of Bourke Street before the Mall and tree invasions. :)
As much as I like trees, they sometimes restrict the view of some great buildings. Lol, sometimes I have to wait until winter for the planes to drop their leaves so I can get that perfect shot. :)

·
Registered
652 Posts
Collector, I know exactly what you mean! :) It is worse for me - I am a horticultural scientist, so I am really "torn" between my love of the trees and my love of the buildings behind them! :lol:

Winter is definitely the best time to photograph buildings. Not only are the decidious trees bare, but the light is softer so the details of the buildings show up better.

Muse, nice pics BTW!

·
Registered Melbourne
4,166 Posts
The low angle of the sun, combined with all that reflective glass & the bare branches makes winter an ideal time to photograph city buildings.

·
Registered
8,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers The Olderfleet

Pics of 1969 from the original Vic Arts Centre (NGV) gallery guide booklet:

Loving the timber boards. Mountain ash: eucalyptus hardwood...

Groovy chick!!

Sea urchin chandeliers were the 'go'...

·
Registered
652 Posts
Muse, more great shots - well done!

BTW, have you (or anyone else) got a more recent colour shot of the foyer, from before it was gutted?

Muse said:
I recall going on school excursions to the NGV. I just loved that interior, it was so unique and almost mysterious.... I still cannot believe that it was all destroyed..... just unbelieveable.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
I think its taken from the southwest corner of the site, near Nolan St/Southbank Blvd and Sturt St. There is no Vic Arts Centre & Hamer (Concert) Hall, that's why you can see the city skyline.

·
Registered
5,652 Posts

The new gallery renovations have been executed with sympathy to Roy Grounds original design.
The whole job was carried out in such a way, that in future if they desire to restore the original floor plan, they can without any damage to the building.
I wont hear of any lament!
We needed this done to showcase our massive art collection!! :yes:

One can now access the rear garden through the Leonard French Ceiling room, which was inaccessible to the public in the past.
Note the entrance to the new sculpture garden on the left.

A render of the finished renovations. :)

·
Registered
526 Posts
Excellent NGV pictures; while I think that the renovations are a reason job, sympathetic to the original design, I miss the extensive amount of timber that was in the original, it's a better contrasting material to the stone than metal; the yellow carpet was a good colour in the environment but must have been a bugger to keep clean - grey carpet is so PC; the Lindsay Court, hemmed in by the sky light, has lost the soaring quality it originally had; and what happened to all the Featherston furniture?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts