SkyscraperCity banner

12701 - 12720 of 17206 Posts

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
^^ Great list Soorox.

That will be pure operational chaos. Scary to think how unprepared the airport is as it has no projects ready to go to facilitate the short term growth, let alone anything into the medium term.

Even bus operations won't cut it as there just aren't enough stand off positions. What's next, parking planes over near the BAE Systems Hanger? Long bus ride but hey I am sure they would consider it..

Welcome flights to HANGZHOU :banana::banana:

From 14/12
MF813 HGH 2015 MEL 0945+1. ..3..6.
MF814 MEL 1135 HGH 1905 ...4..7
Both flights extend to Xiamen
Welcome the Ali Baba Express :)

Operationally, the XMN tag is more than likely designed to enable them to have a pattern which will position the aircraft in HGH for the flight (XMN-HGH-MEL-HGH-XMN-MEL-XMN).

The amount of China options is certainly impressive.

Reactions: cesarod16

·
Registered
227 Posts

·
メルボルン | &#51652
4,229 Posts
^^ That is very encouraging to hear! MEL has always been the most successful market for Malaysia and it is only growing!

From Will Horton (CAPA):

Jetstar to launch Melbourne-Zhengzhou twice-weekly 787 service in December. Jetstar used to have flights to Wuhan until charter deal ended.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Interesting to see AirAsiaX’s plans in Australia over the next couple of years.

http://blueswandaily.com/airasia-x-aims-to-double-australia-operation-over-the-next-decade/

Relevant points for MEL:
They note Melbourne as their most successful destination in Australia. I think that statement might be true for Malaysia in general.

The CEO also states that they are considering making MEL 3x daily year round.
The future decision will largely depend on the impact of Batik Malaysia/Malindo's expected launch.

^^ That is very encouraging to hear! MEL has always been the most successful market for Malaysia and it is only growing!

From Will Horton (CAPA):
Just waiting for the schedule now - I expect sometime next week.

Great to see HGH confirmed, still waiting for confirmation on Kunming - Nanjing - Melbourne with lucky.

·
メルボルン | &#51652
4,229 Posts
Unfortunately it looks like OD have pushed back plans for adding the A330 to the fleet for now. So I don't think we may see them this year at all, but atleast we now that they have rights to fly to MEL so possibly maybe something like MEL-DPS-KUL could still happen.

The Lion Air Group are really messing up their aircraft allocations!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Unfortunately it looks like OD have pushed back plans for adding the A330 to the fleet for now. So I don't think we may see them this year at all, but atleast we now that they have rights to fly to MEL so possibly maybe something like MEL-DPS-KUL could still happen.

The Lion Air Group are really messing up their aircraft allocations!
Yeah i've lost track of whats going on there.

·
メルボルン | &#51652
4,229 Posts
^^ I actually have the whole schedule for the peak season, however there are variations and seasonal changes that i have not noted.

JETSTAR LAUNCHES DIRECT FLIGHTS TO MAINLAND CHINA

JQ to begin MEL-CGO flights on 06DEC, operating every Wednesday and Saturdays.

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
LOL - the frequency of international take offs during morning is more frequent than most tram lines in Melbourne at that time (12 take offs between 9 and 10!)

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
^^ I actually have the whole schedule for the peak season, however there are variations and seasonal changes that i have not noted.

JETSTAR LAUNCHES DIRECT FLIGHTS TO MAINLAND CHINA

JQ to begin MEL-CGO flights on 06DEC, operating every Wednesday and Saturdays.
Now up to 13 Chinese cities confirmed.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Yeah i've lost track of whats going on there.
I've lost track with what's going on with MEL new services period.... been sort of out of the loop for awhile...

So the new airlines (all wide-body passenger airlines) confirmed between now and the end of the year:

JAL
LATAM CHILE
SRI LANKAN
AIR CANADA (seasonal)
TIANJIN

Once Tianjin starts, I believe MEL will have the most mainland Chinese airlines flying here (outside of Asia of course)

....and I suppose still waiting to see what's going on with Cebu Pacific, Lucky Air and the above mentioned Malindo?

Anything missing? Soorox? ;)

So 31 international carriers confirmed of which 29 of them will be flying widebodies regularly here.

·
Proud Victorian!
7,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #12,714
Went to drop someone off at the airport this morning. Honestly the place is an absolute joke. It took THIRTY MINUTES to get from the Tulla Freeway exit to the terminal with traffic banked up all the way back to the T4/business park exit.

I am always left staggered as to why management are flat out refusing to do anything whatsoever to improve or expand the existing terminals and internal road network when there is a clear need to do so (has been for a long time now). What ever happened to the elevated loop road? The master plan had completion of it by 2018 but nothing has happened with the exception of the first stage as part of T4.

You've essentially got 1970's infrastructure trying to carry 2017 traffic volumes. ENOUGH! If anyone who works at the airport is reading this: DO SOMETHING!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I've lost track with what's going on with MEL new services period.... been sort of out of the loop for awhile...

So the new airlines (all wide-body passenger airlines) confirmed between now and the end of the year:

JAL
LATAM CHILE
SRI LANKAN
AIR CANADA (seasonal)
TIANJIN

Once Tianjin starts, I believe MEL will have the most mainland Chinese airlines flying here (outside of Asia of course)

....and I suppose still waiting to see what's going on with Cebu Pacific, Lucky Air and the above mentioned Malindo?

Anything missing? Soorox? ;)

So 31 international carriers confirmed of which 29 of them will be flying widebodies regularly here.
They're not likely to be narrow bodies are they?

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
They're not likely to be narrow bodies are they?
I'm talking about Fiji Airways and Aircalin which only send narrowbodies to MEL.

Air NZ sends a mix of widebodies and narrowbodies.

Most of the Pacific Island airlines send their narrowbodies to Australia.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Went to drop someone off at the airport this morning. Honestly the place is an absolute joke. It took THIRTY MINUTES to get from the Tulla Freeway exit to the terminal with traffic banked up all the way back to the T4/business park exit.

You've essentially got 1970's infrastructure trying to carry 2017 traffic volumes. ENOUGH! If anyone who works at the airport is reading this: DO SOMETHING!!!!!!
Good luck with that. Private corporate owners remember and those fund managers have only one goal - profit! :eek:hno:

Reactions: brianc68

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
FY2017 stats

Reading the above comments about the infrastructure had me thinking again....

Just looking at the full year stats.

International was up over 770,000 passengers and domestic up over 500,000 for the year compared to 2016. That's over 1.2 million more Passengers in total. There is no way the current layouts/sizes of the terminals will cope with everything that has come online and what is in the pipeline. I know his has been discussed ad nauseum but when will they realise the current T2 just cannot cope.

Even with all the new flights about to start, I don't think we will be seeing the huge % gains MEL has seen over the last couple of years as we are now building off a very decent sized base of numbers.

They still seem to be focussed on the third runway and retail enhancements. Perhaps this talked about T5 may be a significant addition but I'm skeptical the real areas of growth aren't being addressed.

Melbourne as a metro area and MEL as an airport are quickly becoming victims of their own success.

7 years in a row being named most liveable city only furthers our exposure. Perhaps we should stop talking about it ;)

12701 - 12720 of 17206 Posts