SkyscraperCity banner

16641 - 16660 of 16859 Posts

·
メルボルン | &#51652
4,220 Posts
Looks like EL AL is on its way, the rumoured service could happen by years end!

Israel seeks quarantine-free travel with Australia by December as gateway to Europe

Israel wants to introduce direct flights to Australia and waive quarantine requirements for travellers by December, as countries that have so far successfully contained Covid-19 jostle to be the next destination added to the Australia-New Zealand tourism bubble.

Israel, seeking to make permanent the roughly 17-hour direct flight from Tel Aviv to Melbourne or Sydney, is also working with other nations to position itself as a gateway hub for Australian travellers to transit quarantine-free on their way to European countries considered safe, such as Greece, Norway, Denmark and the Czech Republic.

Read More: Israel seeks quarantine-free travel with Australia by December as gateway to Europe

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Turning out to be another decent week for the intl heavies. I don’t bother with the small stuff.
Take off the Melbourne filter though and there are plenty of small planes filling the skies over Australia.

So for Monday - Thursday MEL has seen 130 intl widebody movements. Up approx 8 over the same period last week. Again, hard to capture everything.

24 carriers have operated:

UA QF QR MU CZ MH CX NZ CI EK GA BI SQ EY AI UL PR TG VA.
Plus the freighters: EK QR CX K4 SQ and Atlas flying for QF.

EK had 9 movements yesterday including 2 cargo.
PR and TG both visited for the first time in awhile.
UL is back today again.
EY flew in its ADNOC Choose Thailand 789 yesterday.

Today shaping up to be another busy day.
VA and QF to LAX today as well.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Looks like EL AL is on its way, the rumoured service could happen by years end!
Interesting that SYD is also in the mix, either way long term this might be a hard route to sustain but definitely an exciting one to watch and see. Creating a travel bubble between Israel and Australia and onwards to some European countries may be a nice way to gain some customers in the short term but in 1 to 2 years once all carriers are kind of back on track and competition heats up it may be hard for LY to keep up.
Anyway if this becomes a reality from either MEL, SYD or both Israel will certainly be accelerated close to the the top of my bucket list.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Article in the heraldsun today regarding Melbourne being the box seat for qantas pilot training unfortunately article behind paywall.

Qantas Airways is considering a sweeping expansion of its Melbourne pilot training operations after scrapping plans for a $120 million centre in Sydney.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Article in the heraldsun today regarding Melbourne being the box seat for qantas pilot training unfortunately article behind paywall.

Qantas Airways is considering a sweeping expansion of its Melbourne pilot training operations after scrapping plans for a $120 million centre in Sydney.
That's funny, the Courier Mail is reporting the same thing for Brisbane. It appears the deal has fallen through with the current proposed relocation site in Sydney. I suspect QF is after another interstate bidding war.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
AirAsia X 333 making a return to AVV tonight. Been about two months!

D7 216 about to land on runway 36.

Reactions: Decatur

·
Proud Victorian!
7,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #16,647
Interesting that SYD is also in the mix, either way long term this might be a hard route to sustain but definitely an exciting one to watch and see. Creating a travel bubble between Israel and Australia and onwards to some European countries may be a nice way to gain some customers in the short term but in 1 to 2 years once all carriers are kind of back on track and competition heats up it may be hard for LY to keep up.
Anyway if this becomes a reality from either MEL, SYD or both Israel will certainly be accelerated close to the the top of my bucket list.
Would be a real kick in the pants for MEL if SYD got the service after all the fanfare and behind-the-scenes work that went on in Vic last year.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Yesterday was the quietest day this week for intl heavies at MEL.
Only 26 movements @ MEL on 13 carriers (incl QR, SQ, EK freighters). GA was in again. D7 at AVV as mentioned above.
UL is back again today.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Wonder if this is going to be a normal pattern? Second week in a row all arriving Monday morning (0700-0730). UA from SFO, QF and VA from LAX.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Would be a real kick in the pants for MEL if SYD got the service after all the fanfare and behind-the-scenes work that went on in Vic last year.
They are out there seeing which Airport offers the best incentives. In this market all airlines will do that. Just wait until the Chinese airlines get into the act. It will be who wants it more. I can also tell it won't happen until a woman wanted on 74 charges of sexual abuse is extradited from Israel to Australia. The Government has made it a condition.

·
Proud Victorian!
7,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #16,651
They are out there seeing which Airport offers the best incentives. In this market all airlines will do that. Just wait until the Chinese airlines get into the act. It will be who wants it more. I can also tell it won't happen until a woman wanted on 74 charges of sexual abuse is extradited from Israel to Australia. The Government has made it a condition.
I don't even know why SYD is in the mix. Yes, it's a bigger tourism destination and business center, but in this case MEL makes more commercial sense as it's geographically closer and is a bigger source of demand owing to the larger Jewish community.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I don't even know why SYD is in the mix. Yes, it's a bigger tourism destination and business center, but in this case MEL makes more commercial sense as it's geographically closer and is a bigger source of demand owing to the larger Jewish community.
Why wouldn't SYD be in the mix? According to Wikipedia Australia has 120K Jewish, of that Sydney has 50K. Unless Melbourne is home to the rest (70K, which I doubt) Sydney either has more Jews or Sydney and Melbourne are on par. I'd suspect it's the latter or those figures from Wikipedia are wrong. Sydney is also the biggest tourist and financial centre in Australia so nothing to sniff about.
In saying all that I reckon MEL has got this one. MEL airport and the Victorian government will likely be throwing everything at LY (incentivies) to secure the flights and bragging rights. If flights are a success long term (remains to be seen once incentives are removed and competition to Europe ramps up) I wouldn't be surprised to also see LY in SYD. Then there is LY's financial health to consider and Covid is still a headache so let's see how it plays out...

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Intl widebody movements for the week 25-31 May.

Total of 209 at MEL and 2 at AVV. Prior week had MEL at 212. Busiest day at MEL was Thursday with 37 movements. Quietest day was Sunday with a mere 19 only.

Busiest carriers were: EK (22), SQ (20), CX (19) and QR (18). Busiest freighter airline was SQ with 10 movements. CX and EK both had 6.

25 carriers at MEL and 1 at AVV had intl heavy ops last week:

EK, SQ, CX, QR, QF, CZ, MH, NZ, EY, MU, AI, BI, UL, UA, CI, GA, PR, TG, VA, D7

Cargo airlines: SQ, EK, CX, QR, K4 and 5Y

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Why wouldn't SYD be in the mix? According to Wikipedia Australia has 120K Jewish, of that Sydney has 50K. Unless Melbourne is home to the rest (70K, which I doubt) Sydney either has more Jews or Sydney and Melbourne are on par. I'd suspect it's the latter or those figures from Wikipedia are wrong. Sydney is also the biggest tourist and financial centre in Australia so nothing to sniff about.
In saying all that I reckon MEL has got this one. MEL airport and the Victorian government will likely be throwing everything at LY (incentivies) to secure the flights and bragging rights. If flights are a success long term (remains to be seen once incentives are removed and competition to Europe ramps up) I wouldn't be surprised to also see LY in SYD. Then there is LY's financial health to consider and Covid is still a headache so let's see how it plays out...
Not to get too deep into the LY thing but just be aware a majority of the Sydney based Jewish population is from South Africa. That also has a dynamic that needs to be considered. If it happens it happens.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Those numbers are completely and utterly false.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Those numbers are completely and utterly false.
Hence why I said "according to Wikipedia"! Can you shed any light on Jewish and more precisely Israeli numbers in Australia, sounds like you have an idea? I get a figure of between 11-15K of which appear to be fairly evenly spread between Sydney and Melbourne. Would be great to have some more reliable figures.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Heard the other day that JAL are looking to restart soon as well, probably with a weekly cargo only flight, don't have any further details, apparently quite a demand for freight on the Aus-Japan corridor.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Garuda Indonesia during the month of June 2020 continues to operate interim schedule for International routes, serving 10 destinations from Jakarta. Planned operation as of 29MAY20 as follows.

Jakarta – Melbourne 1 weekly A330-300

16641 - 16660 of 16859 Posts