SkyscraperCity banner

16661 - 16680 of 16866 Posts

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Perhaps you can enlighten everyone then?
From Monash University Study based on Census.

"Australia’s Jewish population was estimated to number 112,000 people in 2011 and constituted 0.5% of the national population. A more recent estimate in 2016 revises the figure to 113,000.7 The community is principally bimodal with 87% of the population living in Victoria or New South Wales. Within Victoria, 98% of Jews live in Melbourne, and in NSW 95% of Jews live in Sydney."

Figure 1: Proportionate distribution of the total Australian Jewish population by state and territory

18% in Sydney of South Africa extraction, 8% in Melbourne.

Australia very popular for Israeli backpackers at one end and high tech businessmen at the other.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Why wouldn't SYD be in the mix? According to Wikipedia Australia has 120K Jewish, of that Sydney has 50K. Unless Melbourne is home to the rest (70K, which I doubt) Sydney either has more Jews or Sydney and Melbourne are on par. I'd suspect it's the latter or those figures from Wikipedia are wrong. Sydney is also the biggest tourist and financial centre in Australia so nothing to sniff about.
In saying all that I reckon MEL has got this one. MEL airport and the Victorian government will likely be throwing everything at LY (incentivies) to secure the flights and bragging rights. If flights are a success long term (remains to be seen once incentives are removed and competition to Europe ramps up) I wouldn't be surprised to also see LY in SYD. Then there is LY's financial health to consider and Covid is still a headache so let's see how it plays out...
Melbourne for a long time after WW2 had by far the biggest Jewish population but Sydney has been slowing catching up.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
From Monash University Study based on Census.

"Australia’s Jewish population was estimated to number 112,000 people in 2011 and constituted 0.5% of the national population. A more recent estimate in 2016 revises the figure to 113,000.7 The community is principally bimodal with 87% of the population living in Victoria or New South Wales. Within Victoria, 98% of Jews live in Melbourne, and in NSW 95% of Jews live in Sydney."

Figure 1: Proportionate distribution of the total Australian Jewish population by state and territory

View attachment 173238

18% in Sydney of South Africa extraction, 8% in Melbourne.

Australia very popular for Israeli backpackers at one end and high tech businessmen at the other.
Cool.

Not much in it really between Sydney and Melbourne, even considering the South African Jewish population.

Just over 100k population doesn't seem enough to maintain an air route so they would definitely need transit and tourist traffic.

·
Proud Victorian!
7,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #16,664
Cool.

Not much in it really between Sydney and Melbourne, even considering the South African Jewish population.

Just over 100k population doesn't seem enough to maintain an air route so they would definitely need transit and tourist traffic.
As has been discussed before, LY cannot rely solely on the Jewish community to succeed. They will need to position themselves as a viable option for Australia-Europe traffic (made easier now with QF's shelving of Project Sunrise) and capitalize on a growing business and tech sector between the two countries (which I understand is expanding significantly during COVID).

·
Registered
16 Posts
they would definitely need transit and tourist traffic.
As has been discussed before, LY cannot rely solely on the Jewish community to succeed.
Well, I can tell that LY has a codeshare flight from/to my local airport in Poland to TLV, unlike EK, that I've been so far using to fly to Australia, but for which I need to travel to Warsaw, so if other things are also convenient, like domestic code share with QF, price, and not long connection time in TLV, I might be using it the next time instead of EK.

Anyway, while reading this discussion about the viability of the route I'm wondering why does nobody question EK's, QR's, EY's viability, since I didn't see that many Arabs on streets of Adelaide, Melbourne, Brisbane, Sydney...

·
Registered
197 Posts
Well, I can tell that LY has a codeshare flight from/to my local airport in Poland to TLV, unlike EK, that I've been so far using to fly to Australia, but for which I need to travel to Warsaw, so if other things are also convenient, like domestic code share with QF, price, and not long connection time in TLV, I might be using it the next time instead of EK.

Anyway, while reading this discussion about the viability of the route I'm wondering why does nobody question EK's, QR's, EY's viability, since I didn't see that many Arabs on streets of Adelaide, Melbourne, Brisbane, Sydney...
DXB, AUH and DOH are completely different in my opinion. Sure O&D between Australia and the UAE and Qatar is minimal but the ME3 have incredible networks throughout Europe, Africa and the Indian subcontinent which make all three almost unbeatable. Then there are the excellent connections through their respective hubs and the airfares. LY will find it hard to compete with a lot of this especially with onward air connections to North Africa, Middle East and the Indian subcontinent. I do realise LY has a good network into Europe but whether frequencies can compete with EK, EY and QR is another thing. Flight times to TLV is also longer due to air restrictions enforced by Israeli airlines over Middle Eastern countries so this also creates an issue making the flight less economical.

Sydney has a large Middle Eastern population, particularly from Lebanon and Iran. LY won't be able to steal these pax off the ME3 due to restrictions and political issues between most/all Middle Eastern nations and Israel.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Because LY and Tell Aviv aren't really known for transit passengers or this type of model. The middle east carriers have been doing it for decades, and before that the Asian carriers for decades.

·
メルボルン | &#51652
4,220 Posts
I guess that there are upsides to the corona virus. It may allow smaller markets the opportunity to develop and get more exposure.

There are talks of a travel bubble to include Singapore and South Korea later in the year. This will allow Australians to be more exposed to markets like South Korea, this could allow airlines like OZ and KE consider launching permanent services to MEL. Other 'safe' countries like Taiwan could also see upside effects, Taiwan is still relatively 'undiscovered' by Australians and this could be a great opportunity to encourage travel there, I know Taiwan has been trying to push Taiwan tourism in the Australian market in recent months. Same could be said about the Pacific, shame that SB has decided to pull out, but we could see more increased travel to Fiji and Vanuatu and perhaps see services extended to places like Samoa.

Then you have other opportunities like LY and Israel looking at launching services. It's very interesting to see how things will unfold.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Air Calin is only suspending flights until 2023 due to delaying delivery of their 2nd A320NEO.
If the travel bubble with the South Pacific goes ahead l don’t think they will suspend the service.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
SQ start next Tuesday 9th June
On top of the many already operating cargo only and on top of that the SQ Cargo freighters. SQ (incl freighters) had 30 movements at MEL last week.

Today’s freighters include Cathay, Atlas, Qatar and Emirates. CX in general rather busy today at MEL.

And... Etihad flying in this colourful livery this evening...

·
Registered
197 Posts
Air Calin is only suspending flights until 2023 due to delaying delivery of their 2nd A320NEO.
If the travel bubble with the South Pacific goes ahead l don’t think they will suspend the service.
SB flights will remain cancelled in the short to medium term.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Tuesday was a particularly busy day at MEL for EK, with up to 5 EK B77W's in/out, combo of freight and now pax flights.
I counted 6 EK movements yesterday.

Inbound EK406 EK408 EK2668 EK2665
Outbound EK2665 EK2669

Total of 33 intl heavy movements at MEL yesterday operated by:

EK SQ CX QR QF CZ NZ EY BI UA
and QR EK CX and Atlas freighters

·
Proud Victorian!
7,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #16,679
According to a couple of sources/ contacts of mine, LY appears to be off the table for now. They are less enthusiastic about MEL and have concluded that it's not commercially viable in the short to medium term (COVID aside). Whilst not a properly tested or scheduled service, the repatriation flight was a big loss-maker for the airline and they were using their LAX services as the main benchmark for assessing the numbers of whether a MEL service would stack up. Apparently they've concluded if they can somehow leverage TLV to be more of a hub for Australia-Europe then something may be possible but this is not on the agenda for now and would require a lot of work (security arrangements etc.).

16661 - 16680 of 16866 Posts