SkyscraperCity banner

421 - 440 of 845 Posts

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Was there ever a design change?Are the renderings legit? First time seeing this thread.
It most certainly is legit this is the final design.

There was actually a major design change this was the original proposal ..

It was originally planned to be 388m (1273ft) to the tip of the 'spires' and 108 stories tall however an aviation ceiling (PAN-OPS) came into play and the building redesigned & reduced in height to meet that ceiling of 319m (inc BMU) however the '108' (referring to number of stories) was retained in the name.

I think the developers ignorance of the aviation limits actually resulted in a much better tower. The original was intended to be one of the tallest largely pre-fabricated buildings in the world but the design now U/C is more conventional.

Here's a closeup of the controversial 'Starburst' features which will house the recreation areas & infinity pools.

Thanks to Urban Melbourne http://urban.melbourne for the images

While the top floor (Level 100) features a penthouse that has already sold for A$25m - a record price for an Australian apartment to date.

Finally an excellent video can be found here ..

Taken from their website ..

http://www.australia108.com.au/

·
Registered
150 Posts
Thank you for the info. Great video. I'm still uncertain how I feel about the gold bow tie-looking section of the building, but it's certainly original. I like the horizontal lines. Much better design than the original, I agree.

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
Thank you for the info. Great video. I'm still uncertain how I feel about the gold bow tie-looking section of the building, but it's certainly original. I like the horizontal lines. Much better design than the original, I agree.
I guess we'll just have to not look up :)

Should be good when Australia 100 is finally finished though.

·
faster than buildings
10,324 Posts

That looks like quite some wasted space between the glass and the edge, I understand that the pool can only reach so far out, but this looks like a birds heaven.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
I wish this was a good looking supertall.
It looks like Eureka's ugly sister..... and that's ugly enough.
C'mon MELBOURNE..... you used to be a leader in design :(

·
Registered
251 Posts
I am willing to bet that this building will be called "Donald Duck building" after it is completed. Melbourne deserves a much better design than this.

421 - 440 of 845 Posts