SkyscraperCity Forum banner
2101 - 2120 of 3116 Posts

· smooth operator
3,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,101 ·
Are Grocon that stretched that they can't build it themselves?!
either that or they have sniffed the industrial relations wind...

· Registered
51 Posts
find it interesting that multiplex has tendered for the build on 551 swanston st (portrait). anyways shouldn't be too far off starting
Very interesting, I just saw this on estimateone myself. The industrial relations thing was my first thought too.
Estimateone lists this as building 5, do we know if it is definitely Portrait or could it be the 10 level timber apartment building?

· Registered
18 Posts
Very interesting, I just saw this on estimateone myself. The industrial relations thing was my first thought too.
Estimateone lists this as building 5, do we know if it is definitely Portrait or could it be the 10 level timber apartment building?
According to Cordell, 551 Swanston St is (the building formerly known as) Portrait.

SWANSTON SQUARE (FORMER CUB SITE) STAGE 1A BUILDING 5
Details
  • This was previously known as The Portrait and will include 536 residential apartments over 27 levels, and 2 basement levels, ground level and lobby for commercial uses; also 4 levels of car parking.
  • A 31-level reinforced concrete apartment building to be situated at the centre of the site.
  • One of the last traditional elders of the Wurundjeri-william clan in Melbourne, William Barak (1824-1903), will have his image rendered on the side of the building; using white balconies and black glass behind them, the image will appear abstract from close up but will resolve into the portrait from two blocks away; also included are alterations and additions to the Swanston Street Malstore heritage building and modifications to the heritage bluestone wall on Bouverie Street to create vehicle access.

Additional Details
  • TPM-2010-23 (DPCD 2010/022948/A/B) Please see related projects ID 1448310, ID 1499452, ID 1450270 & ID 1500443.
  • PLEASE NOTE: Town Planning Approval for DPCD2012004954, has been received from the Minister for Planning, comprising use and development of the land below RL 35 for approved Building 5, alterations and additions to the Swanston Street Malstore heritage building, modifications to the heritage bluestone wall on Bouverie Street to create vehicle access and a reduction in the car parking spaces.

· Registered
21,898 Posts
I know it's only a rumour but I heard they might put a caravan park there ?

But wait......think of the tourists....they would love it...really ! Don't even have to buy a Myki : )

· Registered
2,398 Posts
Another incarnation?!? Grollo, just build the f****n' thing already! This will become an icon for Melbourne. It's current design is unique - but won't be for long. Another building using this design concept will get built somewhere else and this will just become a cheap copy. What is wrong with you guys?!? Apartment buildings are going up all over the place in Melbourne at the moment but this one cannot get off the ground?

· Registered
29 Posts
it looks like portrait site to me, maybe organising excavation/construction staging. could it be for the larger associated car park, retail and public areas too? it looks like they are working next to and behind maltstore (building six on old plan map below, wow from july 2007!) in the area for building 5 which is portrait and the area next to maltstore is the covered retail walk bit from swanston which has been showcased in portrait images (below)(between builds 5&6 and building 2&3 on map below)

you can see portrait nearly flush up against maltstore on swanston. the shrine viewing corridor ground level is at about 2 stories below swanston st ground level (at malt store) and a supermarket is meant to be below that and carparking levels below that (they haven't changed any carparking to be above ground, have they?!) so a bigish basement going in, originally they hoped to do a QV big dig, but changed to staging the site, so would they be doing the basements for the retail/public areas and portrait and Delta (wooden building), say the middle third of site.

lest we forget:

2101 - 2120 of 3116 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.