Skyscraper City Forum banner
2181 - 2200 of 3116 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Nonsense. Very little wind tunnelling in that immediate area. There was a squall that came through and blew hard on an evidently weakened structure. It happens from time to time in all parts where there are aged brick walls. Didn't something similar happen on Sydney Road with last 2 years?

·
Proud Victorian!
7,867 Posts
Nonsense. Very little wind tunnelling in that immediate area. There was a squall that came through and blew hard on an evidently weakened structure. It happens from time to time in all parts where there are aged brick walls. Didn't something similar happen on Sydney Road with last 2 years?
The intersection of Swanston and Franklin Streets can be like standing in a category 5 hurricane on some days - definitely a wind tunnel there. No doubt about it.

Perhaps it impacts the CUB area too but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
12,941 Posts
Don't look for a scapegoat ! This was a brick wall standing in isolation for over a decade, maybe two ? It had the elements blasting it from both sides over that time. It is shocking that two lives are lost and another in peril...but as in that TV series 'life after people' stuff falls down with help of nature over time. Being in the wrong place at the wrong time gives such results...for any of us. Sad really.

as for the pundits of skyscrapers causing such mayhem......I was out in the west of Melbourne at the time and felt huge blasts of wind on my vehicle as the front passed overhead. It looked quite amazing with blue sky to the east and settled clouds behind but the turmoil overhead was stuff that happens...

·
メルボルン | &#51652
4,328 Posts

·
Registered
12,941 Posts
I agree a site should be kept safe but heck this site has been derelict for decades and when structures are stripped down to an outer brick wall and expected to take it from both sides...the weather I mean, It's just a crazy situation leading to a terrible outcome. Most times when a wall is saved the project follows soon and things like this don't happen. Bet it brings changes to building sites. OK, Grocon has to carry the responsibility for this site but wonder if there is recorded angst from the Union about the said wall ? Maybe in future a site can not be cleared till a project is approved and going ahead. Although I know this site has stumbled with grand plans over many years.

·
Proud Victorian!
7,867 Posts
From http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/s...gs-hit-by-wall-identified-20130329-2gz5q.html

...But union leader John Setka is already blaming construction group Grocon.

''They don't care about safety, they never have,'' said Mr Setka, the CFMEU secretary.

''People can say I'm trying to make political mileage out of it. I don't care. I've kept my mouth shut for long enough when it comes to Grocon."...

^^ What else would you call it then?

There are multiple investigations underway with, as yet, no definitive cause and all this idiot can think of is scoring cheap political points and sympathy in favor of the CFMEU!

How will he look if it's determined that Grocon had nothing to do with it?

·
Registered
520 Posts
From http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/s...gs-hit-by-wall-identified-20130329-2gz5q.html

...But union leader John Setka is already blaming construction group Grocon.

''They don't care about safety, they never have,'' said Mr Setka, the CFMEU secretary.

''People can say I'm trying to make political mileage out of it. I don't care. I've kept my mouth shut for long enough when it comes to Grocon."...

^^ What else would you call it then?

There are multiple investigations underway with, as yet, no definitive cause and all this idiot can think of is scoring cheap political points and sympathy in favor of the CFMEU!

How will he look if it's determined that Grocon had nothing to do with it?
Second death on a Grocon site in the space of a month. It is precisely the Union's job to be highlighting this very sort of issue. I'd be interested to know whether you think the estimable Mr. Setka would be doing his job and representing his membership in saying nothing?

·
Proud Victorian!
7,867 Posts
Second death on a Grocon site in the space of a month. It is precisely the Union's job to be highlighting this very sort of issue. I'd be interested to know whether you think the estimable Mr. Setka would be doing his job and representing his membership in saying nothing?
As I said, it maybe that it had nothing to do with Grocon. CUB has been a bombsite for YEARS - way before Grocon bought it from RMIT. Also, there was no work happening at CUB opposed to Emporium where a worker was killed.

It's just that the site happens to be owned by Grocon - the same company that is at loggerheads with the CFMEU.

I wonder if Mr Setka would be getting into the same tizz if it were a Contexx or Multiplex site?

That being said, had Grocon not been hanging around with their thumb up their arse and getting on with Swanston Square like they said they would a year ago, 3 young people would be alive and well today.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I don't think any sane individual has an issue with making sure of work place safety.

However, you have to agree it's simply foolish and premature to blame the construction company for the incident before any sort of investigation has determined the actual cause of the collapse.

Setka's typical response just reeks of opportunism and is completely political - even though he stated it was to the contrary - in taking yet another shot at Grocon rather than showing any type of concern for the people who were killed and injured. Right now is not the time for the blame game.

·
Registered
403 Posts
The blame game will come a little later. Someone should be accountable. Did nearby site works undermine or compromise the wall? Is there an issue with the water table? Did maintenance or construction of footpaths, tramstops and the like using vibrating machinery weaken the wall? Should it have been braced? These are the questions amongst others the investigations must answer. Until that happens, any suggestions any one or other party is to blame is premature at best.
Setka and Grollo hate each other's guts, but one would've thought there would be decency enough to show respect for the dead and their families by waiting for conclusive answers before pointing fingers and blame.
Shameful behaviour.
Blue

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
It's worth noting Setka himself was witness to the accident, and appears to have been in the group of people that initially arrived on the scene to assist. Obviously would be very stressful for the guy, no matter your political standing. I agree, he should hold his tongue and wait for an enquiry, but this incident in particular is very close to the bone for the Union because it occurred across the road from their premises, and killed three members of the public. That is a substantial industrial incident. Ultimately the brick wall was in the ownership of Grocon and it was THEIR responsibility to ensure its stability. Unfair or not, the blame falls in their lap, if the enquiry shows that it could have been prevented.

This is actually an instance of where Unions are an immensely positive mechanism in society.

·
Registered
6,329 Posts
It's worth noting Setka himself was witness to the accident, and appears to have been in the group of people that initially arrived on the scene to assist. Obviously would be very stressful for the guy, no matter your political standing. I agree, he should hold his tongue and wait for an enquiry, but this incident in particular is very close to the bone for the Union because it occurred across the road from their premises, and killed three members of the public. That is a substantial industrial incident. Ultimately the brick wall was in the ownership of Grocon and it was THEIR responsibility to ensure its stability. Unfair or not, the blame falls in their lap, if the enquiry shows that it could have been prevented.

This is actually an instance of where Unions are an immensely positive mechanism in society.
If only they hadn't been such a negative mechanism in society, you wouldn't have to post this.

·
Registered
12,941 Posts
A couple of days ago the site looked, like it has for quite a while......I know better than nothing but most is still nothing.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
I made this post back in December..........It was better than what happened last week. : (
Looks so innocent.............

2181 - 2200 of 3116 Posts