Skyscraper City Forum banner
301 - 320 of 3116 Posts

·
Registered
78,004 Posts
lol, i dont think its construction with no approved DA yet.? maybe early site works like geotech ect.which requires pile driving.all a good sign for impending works at years end

·
Registered
78,004 Posts
bluestone remains 1992
Bouverie Street

i like what theyve done to the interior

·
Registered
78,004 Posts
^the block -form masterplan has been approved by minister but the detailed DAs havent been approved yet. as far as i know? that could take 6 months.

·
Developer
7,734 Posts
If they stick to the masterplan the Planning permit should only take a month at the most. The minister makes the decision and there is no public consultation and no appeal rights ;-)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello,

Obviously I am a little late coming to this thread..

but hey this is great work guys! It's excellent how into this site you all are, and well yeah so you should be..this site has always been so pivotal to Melbourne and its northern suburbs! Pity it has sat here for so long..all that aside..I am keenly awaiting!

I should intro myself..I am tim, and currently doing my final year in architecture and construction management.

I am actually doing my thesis on Memory and Place within Carlton with relation to the CBD, and for my final design project will be undertaking the CUB site as a design competition.

Hence reading all this is undoubtedly been the best source I can find. Obviously I have had conversations with Grocon and NH...but this thread is pretty unbeatable!

Anyways..on the topic, I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations for me? in terms of the site from more an urban level..some perspectives on that, as well as the topic of gentrification...

i.e how the people that gave carlton its character, were not there anymore once all the development occured as they could no longer afford it..sites like the CUB can have very dramatic effects... a little off topic I know, but any help or direction would be much appreciated!

Also CULWULLA, the models you make of the city, I was wondering where these now sit? I'd love to have a look.. I will be making similar models obviously when i come to next semester..

Lastly, if anyone has any resources that would be much appreciated? where could I get a sketch up model of the site and surrounds with proposed building envelopes!

hope this all makes sense and cheers!

tim:):):)

·
Registered
12,941 Posts
twentymt.....also, welcome to SSC ! Saw this article in today's 'Age' referring to affordable housing......and the CUB site. Cheers.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys,

thanks for the kind welcoming!

yeh this is great, thanks again!

does anyone know where one could source a 3d model of the city..well at least the area surrounding the CUB site..

can you buy such a thing?

cheers!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey guys,

thanks for the kind welcoming!

yeh this is great, thanks again!

does anyone know where one could source a 3d model of the city..well at least the area surrounding the CUB site..

can you buy such a thing?

cheers!
The only 3D map I know of, is one being developed by the MCEC.

It has yet to be released(with no release date yet set) , will be web based, and is to be used as a marketing tool.

I don't know what the quality of the map will be like, nor its features.

Anyway here is a link: http://www.mcec.com.au/Explore.html

Hope it helps.

·
Registered
439 Posts
The only 3D map I know of, is one being developed by the MCEC.

It has yet to be released(with no release date yet set) , will be web based, and is to be used as a marketing tool.

I don't know what the quality of the map will be like, nor its features.

Anyway here is a link: http://www.mcec.com.au/Explore.html

Hope it helps.
Someone needs to develop something similar to e都市 in China. All the major cities are one there, it can be found here http://sh.edushi.com/ at the moment it is black and white out of respect for the victims of the earthquake in Wenchuan, Sichuan Province... but usually it is colour.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,23794047-661,00.html

From The Herald Sun

Beer theme in lane names
Ian Royall
June 02, 2008 12:00

SHAMROCK Lane and Clydesdale Lane will soon be added to the street maps of central Melbourne on the former CUB site, thanks to Herald Sun readers.

The new names were chosen from hundreds of suggestions for lane names in the $800 million development in Carlton.

Shamrock was one of the five original breweries that combined to form Carlton & United in 1907.

And Clydesdale Lane will remember the draught horses that hauled beer wagons until the 1950s and are still a symbol of the Carlton brand today.

Construction giant Grocon is redeveloping the 1.8ha site on the city centre's northern edge.

The project will be a mix of flats, offices and shops in five buildings, separated by Melbourne's trademark alleys.

Grocon chief executive Daniel Grollo appealed in April for Herald Sun readers to come up with names for the new lanes.

"It's been great to have some community involvement in the naming of these laneways and Grocon is glad both the names have links to the heritage of the brewery," Mr Grollo said.

Clydesdale Lane was a popular choice among many contributors, but Peter Burns, of Oak Park, was first in line.

"Being the original site of the Carlton brewery it just seemed such an obvious choice," he said.

Ken Barclay, of Merbein, wanted to pay tribute to one of the five original breweries - McCracken, Victoria, Shamrock, Foster's and Castlemaine.

Grocon has already chosen Brewery Lane and Ballarat St for other lanes.

Construction on the site, bordered by Swanston, Bouverie, Victoria and Queensberry streets, should start by year's end and be finished by 2012.

·
Oh ma Lordee, lookee here
1,735 Posts
PROJECT: RMIT Design Hub - 8 storey northern lights for CBD

Hope this is the way to start a project thread, and an 8 storey building is considered worthy of that attention : but Godsell's RMIT Design Hub sounds like it will sit very innovatively next to CUB, and be a major sight in its own right. I'll scan and edit in a render pic shortly.

http://business.theage.com.au/design-school-promises-to-shine-light-on-city-20080701-304c.html

Edit: Hmmm now wondering whether this should have gone in the CUB thread (up to you Mod, if you think so) - but the RMIT project is not under the Grocon aegis, and this Sean Godsell design seems to have a discrete feel.

Building itself looks pretty blocky, but the light treatment sounds special.

Scan of render from The Age today:

·
Developer
7,734 Posts

Students and staff inside the building - which will include fashion and textile designers, industrial designers and landscape architects - as well as passers-by out on the street, will be treated to a stunning light show.

"It will be very prominent in the street, almost as a light sculpture," Mr Godsell said.

"So it's got a number of lives as a facade and what is an apparently simple form is actually quite animated both day and night."

Mr Godsell, a multi-awardwinning architect, is constantly pushing the boundaries of design, giving builders a challenge whenever they transform his sketches into steel and glass.

The structure of the facade allows it to be back-lit and rearprojected so the entire building has the potential to become a digital billboard. When it rains, the sandblasted surface will change from translucent to transparent, creating new textures.

The glass cylinders running east to west across the building will rotate vertically to follow the journey of the sun during the day and will be commanded by a building automation system to help shade and power the building.

301 - 320 of 3116 Posts