Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
300+
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember reading somewhere that Melbourne Central was planned to be 300+ but that they ran out of cash during construction and stopped at it's current height. Could the top of the building be dismantled and the extra 100 metres added now or would it be impossible due to cost etc...

·
Registered
297 Posts
Well, the foundations were set for an 88 story building... so that should be fine. Whether they used sufficient strength in the concrete core for another 30 odd storys, we don't know. The facade also has to be redone (at least the white bits) as they culminate at the top of the tower now but would look weird if an extension was made.

Plus it would cost a LOT of money to dismantle the upper section, from the actual demolition work to the loss of revenue from leases. Also, on top of that we need to take into account the cost of building the actual extenion, so IMHO I doubt it would ever happen...

·
Registered
820 Posts
Although, adding 100 metres would be cheaper than starting a 100 metre building from scratch. Still, I can't see something like that happening.

·
Registered
297 Posts
sirhc8 said:
Although, adding 100 metres would be cheaper than starting a 100 metre building from scratch. Still, I can't see something like that happening.
Logically it does seem so, yes. But if we used that logic then we should have 1000m+ scrapers in our cities, all 100m building stacked on top of each other as the need arises. ;)

·
Registered
820 Posts
^
Not the point. I mean, given it has already been built with the requirements for a taller building, you're essentially just completing the job.

·
Melburnaholic
567 Posts
no, there is no way an extension on MC would go ahead

I actually doubt that building an extra 100m on MC would be cheaper with an 100m building - it certaintly wouldn't be as easy - as there are massive logistical issues, loss of money from leases (as skies said), loss of use of communications equipment and the whole facade issue. I think (most) people are content with the current height of the building.

·
Registered
138 Posts
DrDan said:
no, there is no way an extension on MC would go ahead
Not now: not under current market conditions, not with the current cost of construction, and not with the NIMBYs who would surely complain over the slightly longer shadow :lol: But in the future, once all the significant sites in the city centre are used up, it could well come into play.

But I agree, it ain't going to happen for a looong time, if ever.

·
Insert text here:
1,228 Posts
speaking of spaces in the sydney CBD, how many are left to be built on? including low rises that can be demolished

·
Melbourne Zealot
1,300 Posts
Agree, it wouldn't be realistic or practical to extend a scraper. Has it ever been done on this scale even? But the facade wouldn't need to be "repaired". The "scullion" design is set back in "blocks" of 3 (1 block is around 7-8 window panes high I think). i.e. 3 blocks, set back, 3 blocks, set back, 3 blocks, set back. But the last scullion is only 1 block high, which means you could easily extend it by another 2 blocks. The last block is also where the sloping roof begins, so that who last bit would have to be reconstructed. Sounds like penile extension, really.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Keep forgetting to tell you all that the Little Lonsdale Street buble bridge is under construction. They have started with the underside of the bridge first.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
If you haven't seen the buble bridge under construction, you will need to go for a walk along Little Lonsdale Street from Swanston St to Elizabeth St. So far, so good! :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts