SkyscraperCity banner

561 - 580 of 621 Posts

·
112,706 Posts
China's train maker in full production to meet overseas orders
Excerpt

CHANGCHUN, Feb. 21 (Xinhua) -- China's top train maker CRRC is at full production capacity to meet six overseas orders, the company said.

The company is delivering a whole set of metro trains for the Australian city of Melbourne this week with the cargo sent to a Chinese port for shipping.

Since the outbreak of the novel coronavirus in January, the company has been making every effort to prevent and control the epidemic in its production base in the northeast China city of Changchun.

Production has been gradually resumed since Feb. 10, with priority given to catch up on orders due to be delivered in the first quarter, said Li Wanjun, senior technician of the CRRC Changchun Railway Vehicles Co. Ltd.

Production for six overseas orders, including a subway train for Boston in the United States, light rail trains for Tel Aviv in Israel and double-decker buses for the Australian city of Sydney, is at full speed.

Among them, the production of four trains of the light rail project in Tel Aviv has been completed on schedule. They will be transported on Feb. 25.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
OT I know, but double deck buses for Sydney? Surely they mean double deck trains, aka the remainder of the B sets??

·
17,877 Posts
From Level Crossing Removal Project website

https://levelcrossings.vic.gov.au/media/news/contract-awarded-for-the-cranbourne-line-upgrade

Contracts awarded for the Cranbourne Line Upgrade
16 Mar 2020

Contracts worth a combined $679 million to continue upgrading the Cranbourne line have been signed, with construction crews to start mobilising in coming days at Greens Road in Dandenong South.

The works – to be delivered by two alliances in partnership with the Level Crossing Removal Project – will allow for peak-hour services every ten minutes on the Cranbourne line.

Current single track between Cranbourne and Dandenong limits the number of services that can run on the line and leads to frequent delays.

An alliance comprising of McConnell Dowell, Arup, Mott MacDonald and Metro Trains Melbourne will duplicate track between Dandenong and Lynbrook and remove the Greens Road level crossing in Dandenong South

·
Registered
568 Posts
I really like the road crossing removal program in Melbourne. Not only do you get faster safer trains (less chance of running into cars) but also lots of areas have brand new upgraded stations with parks or recreation spaces below.

To think that some Melbournites complained saying that "sky rail will devalue my property!" Its the absolute opposite....I would say residential and commercial property values have gone up around these new stations.

I wish the South Australian government had the same level of finances to do the same thing in Adelaide!

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
I agree! The new stations and the spaces underneath are looking great - can't believe people were against this.

Too many of Melbourne's stations look downright neglected and are in sore need of renovation (Sydney had this problem throughout the 90s too). This program seems to be sorting out some of that along with of course removing those level crossings.

Some more from the same line, this is of the newly opened Mentone station.

·
Perpetual Bohemian
3,676 Posts
Is this program being funded out of the roads or public transport budget because it's something being done for road users? It's not something that trains benefit from operationally because they have right of way at level crossings anyway. I'd hate to think that scarce public transport funds are being channeled into something for the benefit of car drivers so that driving becomes even more attractive at the cost of public transport use.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Is this program being funded out of the roads or public transport budget because it's something being done for road users? It's not something that trains benefit from operationally because they have right of way at level crossings anyway. I'd hate to think that scarce public transport funds are being channeled into something for the benefit of car drivers so that driving becomes even more attractive at the cost of public transport use.
Level crossing removal permits higher frequency train services. We're about to remove a rake of crossings in Dublin to permit higher frequency suburban rail services. Not sure if that's planned in Melbourne?

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Though isn't frequency somewhat hampered by the level crossings? I've always seen this project as an enabler to increase frequencies across the network once the metro tunnel opens.

561 - 580 of 621 Posts