SkyscraperCity banner

581 - 600 of 621 Posts

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Thsoe engines sound seriously quite weird. Not a massive fan of the train myself.
I agree, quite odd and not too sure I've ever heard engines that sound like that.

The interior looks nice at least and offers an upgrade over earlier rolling stock with improved dynamic information displays, open gangways between carriages and WiFi - though the lighting is a little cold imo. They will also be compatible with the platform screen doors being installed in the new Metro Tunnel.

·
6,421 Posts
Is this program being funded out of the roads or public transport budget because it's something being done for road users? It's not something that trains benefit from operationally because they have right of way at level crossings anyway. I'd hate to think that scarce public transport funds are being channeled into something for the benefit of car drivers so that driving becomes even more attractive at the cost of public transport use.
Removing one level crossing is a road improvement project project.
Removing all level crossings is a rail improvement project.

·
112,708 Posts
Further delays hit $2.3 billion next-generation trains
The Age Excerpt
Sep 24, 2020

New trains being delivered from China as part of the already late $2.3 billion high-capacity metro train program are likely to be further delayed because of COVID-19, leaked cabinet documents warn.

The delay comes amid a broader productivity slowdown on major infrastructure projects caused by the coronavirus restrictions. Confidential Treasury advice to cabinet obtained by The Age warns projects could get bogged down by contractual disputes.

The delivery of 65 high-capacity trains – ordered under a partnership between the government and private consortium Evolution Rail – is already running more than a year late.

More : Further delays hit $2.3 billion next-generation trains

·
112,708 Posts
Victorian train deal with blacklisted Belt and Road firm referred to corruption watchdog, auditor
The Age Excerpt
Oct 5, 2020

The Victorian Liberal opposition has asked the state's corruption watchdog and the Auditor-General to probe the $2.3 billion contract to deliver Melbourne's new train fleet owing to probity concerns and lengthy delays.

The Liberal request came on the same day Premier Daniel Andrews partly addressed concerns the Chinese company building the trains posed a national security risk and benefited from exploited Uighur labour by saying "we are about getting things done".

Opposition public transport spokesman David Davies has written to the bodies requesting they investigate the 2016 deal to build 65 high-capacity metro trains (HCMT). The trains – to be delivered by a consortium that includes Chinese state-owned firm CRRC Changchun Railway Vehicles, Downer EDI and Plenary Group – are 18 months late and the government does not have a completion date.

More : Victorian train deal with blacklisted Belt and Road firm referred to corruption watchdog, auditor

581 - 600 of 621 Posts