SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went for a drive from Melbourne to the 12 Apostles and back on June 2nd. Here is an overview.

Heading off

Southwest over the Westgate Br

and on via the Princes Fwy

Took a break just north of Avalon for a pie and a long black....

and a look at the trucks..

and a short yarn with a trucky

Then I took the next exit for a look at Avalon Airport

Road works in progress at Geelong's nothern entrance

Continuing through Geelong

and onto the B100 towards Torquay

Past Torquay the B100 becomes 2 lanes

The Great Ocean Rd begins

Handy reminder of which country I'm in

Lorne

Rugged coast

After Apollo Bay the going gets faster.
With the impending sunset I get a move on......

Just in time!

·
Registered Melbourne
4,166 Posts
Cute, but having travelled from Melbourne to Apollo Bay about a thousand times by now, I'd recommend when you get to Princetown, get out of your car, turn off the ignition, lock the car, and walk or clamber down Gibsons Steps, and just look and listen to the sea. For a while: for a good while. Especially at sunset.

(and next time: leave in the morning!)

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^^
Indeed.
I was away much later than planned (12 midday). By the time I was on the Ocean Rd I really had to move on to get to the Apostles

·
Registered Melbourne
4,166 Posts
^^
Indeed.
I was away much later than planned (12 midday). By the time I was on the Ocean Rd I really had to move on to get to the Apostles
I've been watching those shadows (in your photos) ...

seriously, give the Otways ... the Surfcoast, and the Shipwreck Coast their due. The Ocean Road is pretty special: did you realize there's a spot along there where people almost always stop to photograph the koalas? Don't rush it. I've been in a bus that stopped for an echidna crossing the road.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I definitely plan on re-doing the drive next time I'm there. Possibly staying a night at Apollo Bay or thereabouts so I can spend more time down there.

·
Regulator
392 Posts
Good pics and info. Nice work.

I haven't been down that way since 2003.

Is there any 100km/h sections left between Anglesea and Apollo Bay?

·
Registered
1,788 Posts

Not many.
Was there last week and its still one hell of a drive even though Ive been doing it for 50 years.

A lot of people esp the ones on tour buses only get as far as Port Campbell but there are many more spectaular sights past that point and if you have the time ( more than a day trip) visit Port Fairy,Warrnambool and Portland for a lot more spectacular sightseeing.The Cape Otway Lighthouse is also worth the 30 KM diversion.

·
Registered Melbourne
4,166 Posts

Very little so far as I am aware: a lot of the road is under speed restrictions during the summer months, and driving at 100 km/kr would be just plain dangerous ... even if there were no buses on the road.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Fantastic photos! It's very nostalgic as I have family in Warrnambool and have done that drive many times. I love the pics of just driving down the roads, as that's how I remember the trips

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
This photo set was taken by expensive private car. How would one do this same trip by using Mass transport? As one should be able to visit these places by Mass transport!
They can tour the region by bus. However this is not always practical as the distances are far .

Not everything is related to "mass transport" (there are no masses to transport!), this is a thread showcasing a region; so your comment is uncalled and rude.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This photo set was taken by expensive private car. How would one do this same trip by using Mass transport? As one should be able to visit these places by Mass transport!
If this area was accessible on Mass transit it wouldn't be worth visiting any more (+ Victoria would be bankrupt). As stated by Alphaville, there are plenty of bus excursions for those without a car.
Same goes with my choice of beach. If it's served by PT I avoid it. I don't like crowds.

·
Registered Melbourne
4,166 Posts
Not sure about mass transport, but regarding public transport options:

• V/Line runs 4 services up and back to Lorne daily, 3 of which continue to Apollo Bay

• Every day, about 6 large (non-V/Line) buses off-load mainly international tourists at Apollo Bay for lunch, en-route to the six Apostles

• a similar number of mini-buses filled with back-packers also turn up, for lunch, late morning tea, or whatever.

• V/Line runs services from Apollo Bay to Warnambool via the 12 (or however many) Apostles three days a week. I have taken this service: in my estimation, not over-patronized. The bus stops along the "Shipwreck Coast" for ten minutes at "Bay of Islands" and "London Bridge", fifteen minutes at "Loch Ard Gorge", and thirty minutes at "The Twelve Apostles".

Anyone without a car but with a concession card ... take note! Actually, it's probably cheaper, even if you do have a car and don't have a concession card ... :)

On alternate days, the V/Line service runs out of Warnambool through the Grampians ... and back via Ballarat to Melbourne ... so if you can find a bridge to sleep under in Warnambool ... or you can afford to book into a backpacker's, you're laughing!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts