SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium member
9,988 Posts
Nice, but all these cables and wires are not really appealing.

·
Premium member
9,988 Posts
Urban cities have their power lines underground. These above ground powerlines are actually the opposite of urbanity. More a sign of suburbia or third world.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Urban cities have their power lines underground. These above ground powerlines are actually the opposite of urbanity. More a sign of suburbia or third world.
The powerlines are actually there for the tram system, so in reality they are NOT POWER LINES in the conventional sense, they are tram cables. Inner Melbourne has underground power lines bar the tram wires.

For me they actually add to the atmosphere and urban grit that makes Melbourne unique in Australia. It further distances Melbourne from other Australian cities with their clean cut, USA style inner city.

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
What??? They are for tram lines-- and contribute to the most urban and first world form you can possably get! Look at cities like Toronto, Berlin, Prague, and Vienna and they are the same-- are you going to label them third world??

·
Proud Melbournian
1,742 Posts
What??? They are for tram lines-- and contribute to the most urban and first world form you can possably get! Look at cities like Toronto, Berlin, Prague, and Vienna and they are the same-- are you going to label them third world??
:lol::cheers:

·
Premium member
9,988 Posts
LOL
I was not bitching about the street car wires. You find that in almost every european city as well.

This is what looks bad.

As if the above gournd powerlines are not enough, no they even have to cross the street every few houses.

And yes, Melbourne is a beautiful city overall.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
^^ where is this building located?

is it on corner of Franklin/William streets ?
if so - i know some one who is residing there...! :)

·
Registered
200 Posts
For me they actually add to the atmosphere and urban grit that makes Melbourne unique in Australia. It further distances Melbourne from other Australian cities with their clean cut, USA style inner city.
Interesting - what is the root cause of the differences between Melbourne and other Australian cities?

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
LOL
I was not bitching about the street car wires. You find that in almost every european city as well.

This is what looks bad.

As if the above gournd powerlines are not enough, no they even have to cross the street every few houses.

And yes, Melbourne is a beautiful city overall.
There are a couple of pictures that dipict street's with overhead power lines. This is no different to most cities in the world, and overall, most of inner Melbourne has underground power, and more suburbs than not do also.

This is no different to any other Australian city (with the except of Perth).

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
What is the root cause of the differences between Melbourne and other Australian cities?
Melbourne has similarities with other planned cities in Australia like Adelaide.
The Differences between Sydney and Melbourne are great though.

Melbourne was planned with a grid layout and surrounded by parks.
Sydney wasn't, the street layout follows the line of least resistance.

Melbourne was developed rapidly with the aid of gold discoveries nearby.
It was once the largest city in Australia and is on the way to claim that crown again.

Melbourne was founded by free settlers, Sydney was a convict settlement.

Melbourne kept its tram network and has expanded it to have it become the largest networks outside of Europe. Sydney has only one line.

Collins Street.

Melbourne made good use of its extensive lane network, to have it now become one of the main tourist draw cards.
Sydney removed nearly all of its lanes.

Block Place.

Melbourne Style City has retained most of its old architectural masterpieces and is not afraid to experiment with the new, using local architects.
Sydney has lost most of its old buildings and is famous for new buildings designed by international architects such as The Sydney Opera House and Aurora Place. Harry Siedler's buildings are the exception.

Windsor Hotel.

ARM's Storey Hall.

Melbourne embraces new arrivals, while Sydney is actively discouraging people from settling there.

There are other differences as well, but I'll leave those for others to state.

Is it on corner of Franklin/William streets ?
I know some one who is residing there...! :)
Lol, :wink2: Melbourne Terrace Apartments, corner of Queen and Franklin Streets.

My front door below.

The view from my main balcony.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts