Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
BAND AID
4,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was lucky enough last month to spend just over 3 weeks in Melbourne. I could waffle on all day about what a fantastic city it is (which it most definitely is) but all you want to see really are the pics, trouble is......I've took 100's and I'm still going through them myself, so this thread is probably gonna be an ongoing thing.
I'll start off with Rialto Towers which is the tallest office block in the city (SSP lists 3 more higher but that is including their spires) and also some pics of Eureka Tower which will be Melbournes tallest building and in fact the worlds tallest residential tower when completed .

Rialto Towers 251 metres 63 floors

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Been there, spent a week there - fantastic place isn't it - a real model for all cities - what did you think of Eureka (massive!).

Did you go up the Rialto?

·
BAND AID
4,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry Rickster didn't really answer your question......yeah Eureka looks huge, and they could still build even taller in the city there have been a few proposals for worlds tallest (that was before Dubai went bonkers).
I took loads of pics from the top of Rialto which I will post up on here soon.....you're totally correct about it being a model for all other cities. I'll be back there again next year definitely

·
Registered
13,365 Posts
I enjoyed the parks when I was there, Fitzroy Gardens, The Royal Botanical Gardens, Royal Park and the Shrine of Remembrance. The parks reminded me of London. The trams are good too, Flinders Street Station, The "G" the Victorian city centre and the skyscrapers and the ever changing weather.

A great place

·
Lord Melbourne
4,257 Posts
Good to know people form another country like the place. The thing is, Eureka will keep growing (well not the core, its comming down as we speak(well in the morning anyway))

Comm'on Smileyface, you posted more pictures in the ozscrapers sections, post the pics here too, plus new ones :p

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Euerka is a real gem for Australia and Melbourne, us forum members here in the UK can only dream of a building like that. The cladding is great as well, the blue and yellow go well.

When i was over there last October, it was a lot smaller, are there were two Grocon cranes on it, i see one is being dismantled.

Heres what it was like when i was in Melbourne for a comparison!:

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Those two Eureka/FWP shots make a great comparison.

Melbourne is such a photogenic city, i got some amazing shots from the Rialto observation deck.

I visited Adelaide, Melbourne, Canberra and Sydney and Melbourne was my favourite Australian city; its just got so much to offer, sport, great outlying countryside (Wilsons Prom, Philip Bay, Morrington Penninsular), and is such a well planned city. The tram system is excellent and very cheap, the parks a sparse, the skyline is just phenoneminal, such a wide range of architectual styles. It was also very clean, tidy and had little of the dreaded city pollution i got when i visted places such as HK or KL.

My favourite buildings were the Rialto (obviously), ANZ Headquarters, Bourke Place and Melbourne Central. Rialto is just a focal building, its look is so solid, esp with the blue glass facade, and its bulk really makes its mark on the skyline, I also liked the way the two roof sections lit up blue at night - very cool!

·
Lord Melbourne
4,257 Posts
Yes i like the blue lights of the Rialto.

The trams, used to be cheaper, but then the trams and trains were privatised.
And rickster, one crane is slowly being dismantled, and relocated (well thats the rumours)
It will be a stunning veiw from the big E too, much higher then the Rialto, also out of the CBD not in it, so you can get alot of good veiws. (hopefully)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Please no more pictures!! Spent 7 months in Australia in 2001/2002 and fell in love with this city, 1 month there and i never once became bored, im becoming ill with jealousy when i see these pics.

·
BAND AID
4,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
^^^^^^^^

I've been back three weeks now and I can honestly say that my first two weeks back I had the holiday blues really bad. I'm back into my normal routine now but these photo's bring back so many memories and remind me of what a great place Melbourne is.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts