Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 249 Posts

·
flame on.
5,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i took a walk around the North end of the CBD today and was blown away by the amount of construction and planned skyscrapers happening in such a small few blocks!

i have tried to summarise what is happening. Over the next 5 years, the North end of Melbourne's CBD will be radically transformed!

1 - Bouverie Apartments - 60m - sales
2 - Swanston Square - 100m - Under Construction
3 - Zen - 171m - complete
4 - Vision Apartments - 226m - Under Construction
5 - Victoria One - 241m - sales
6 - Lighthouse Melbourne - 218m - sales
7 - My80 - 173m - Under Construction
8 - Empire Melbourne - 181m - sales
9 - Fulton Lane - 89m & 142m - Under Construction
10 - EQ tower - 203m - sales
11 - The Carlson - 109m - Under Construction
12 - Eporo tower - 150m - demolition

1 - Bouverie Apartments - 60m - sales

2 - Swanston Square - 100m - Under Construction

3 - Zen - 171m - complete

4 - Vision Apartments - 226m - Under Construction

5 - Victoria One - 241m - sales

6 - Lighthouse Melbourne - 218m - sales

7 - My80 - 173m - Under Construction

8 - Empire Melbourne - 181m - sales

9 - Fulton Lane - 89m & 142m - Under Construction

10 - EQ tower - 203m - sales

11 - The Carlson - 109m - Under Construction

12 - Eporo tower - 150m - demolition

·
Registered
12,897 Posts
I have also been amazed that northern Melbourne does what it does...places like Sydney and Brisbane when they are so far out of town relatively...

·
Go Ahead.....Make My Day!
5,497 Posts
If all these towers go ahead this northern skyline of Melbourne will be taller than most Australian capital cities :)

·
flame on.
5,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you can pretty much gaurentee all these towers will go ahead. nothing here is a proposal/vision... everything is well into sales :)

·
Registered
872 Posts
Melburn21,
Thanks for putting this this awesome thread together, so others can see how much of a change and what is being built, at the Northern end of the city of Melbourne.

I always look forward to seeing your photos and reading your post, when ever you post something on here and UrbanMelbourne Forum thanks for sharing and keep up the good work with your post and photos on here.

Make sure you keep all your photos that you take on any of these construction sites, cause who knows you may one day need them for a book, showing what Melbourne use to look like from the past and current.

·
flame on.
5,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^^ thanks. i obsess a little over collating information together... so i find making these threads fun :)

·
WARREN
8,205 Posts
Has the backpackers joint closed down yet? I remember there used to be a dodgy little bar on the ground floor on the corner - recall ending up there in the very early hours of New Year's Day 2012 with a couple of others and meeting shady characters trying to recruit new drug dealers :lol:

Pity they're all residential developments but at least something is happening up there. I remember the walk from the old Franklin St bus station down to Melbourne Central and thinking the area was such a wasteland for where it is.

·
Oh ma Lordee, lookee here
1,734 Posts
Again, thanks for this collating work. I feel the difference in this university precinct, with heavy Chinese/Asian investment, is that all these projects - as mentioned - feel certain to go ahead. The demand appears to be just endless, and its really going to become a forest of towers, quite quickly.

Melbourne has a lot of big tower proposals elsewhere, Southbank, Fishermens Bend, West End etc., but one tends to regard these individually as 50-50 chances of proceeding, or at least much longer waiting times before proceeding, sometimes in modified form. It was long neglected, but the dynamics in this northern end have now become just compelling.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
checked out this area today.. i am a very happy Melburnian

i would love to see more developments such as restaurants, cafes and supermarket around here too to cater all the influx of new residents

·
Registered
77,310 Posts
some great buildings there. some not so good. melbourne architects have to stop adding random colours to there towers.It doesnt make them look better. better off leaving alone. If the design is boring ,should have designed it betetr, not add bright colours? thats camoflaging faults.
Swanston square looks like paint tin fell over balconies?
anyway well done melbourne. hope all your towers get built.

Reactions: Grampians

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
some great buildings there. some not so good. melbourne architects have to stop adding random colours to there towers.It doesnt make them look better. better off leaving alone. If the design is boring ,should have designed it betetr, not add bright colours? thats camoflaging faults.
yeah, i hate when architects just chuck on bright coloured louvers to mask the obesity and blandness of the Sydney Sister Triplets and try to set them apart from by giving each one a different colour when everyone knows the only difference is a few floors here and there.

·
Registered
7,239 Posts
life is in colour so why shouldn't buildings be in colour too?

·
Registered
12,897 Posts
Life was much simpler in the sepia and black&white days...

·
Registered
597 Posts

♪ Here he comes to wreck the DAAAAAYYYYYY ♪

Reactions: melburn21

·
Lord Melbourne
4,257 Posts
The balconies are white, they are covered with black plastic to protect them during construction and also hide the main design of the south facade until the project is complete for an unveiling.

Unless you mean the colourful northern side in which-case... :eek:hno:

1 - 20 of 249 Posts