Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey mates! (is that how I would say it?) I thought I would show you all some pictures of my hometown, and the birthplace of the American Revolution, Boston! :)

The truth is, I have actually been obsessed with Melbourne for about a decade now, although unfortunately have not been able to make it over there yet. Our skylines were comparable about 10 years ago, but since then you guys have been super lucky, while we are rather stagnant due to a combination of NIMBY's, idiocy, bad luck, and yes, I'll even go so far as to say corruption (which is what happens when you have the same mayor for 20 years!!!).

I have been super impressed with Melbourne through the years, and was mostly introduced to it through Tayser's photos (this is not meant to be a knock to the rest of you). While I am not on his level, I have done my best to emulate his style. Here are some of the pictures I have taken over the last couple of years, and I will be sure to update it from time to time, especially if you want to see more!

Hope you enjoyed it. If anybody wants to see more, I would be happy to oblige with some future updates :eek:kay:

·
I need to find myself
5,583 Posts
Good thread. May I request for pictures of Boston dining rooms?

·
Yes. No. Potato?
3,023 Posts
Beautiful pictures. Would really like to visit some day.

·
Put it in your mouth
7,111 Posts
Boston guys have the hottest accent. I'll marry one... one day.

And Boston looks 100 times more interesting than little old Melbourne.

·
WARREN
8,207 Posts
And Boston looks 100 times more interesting than little old Melbourne.
I was about to say that if Boston is meant to be just like Melbun, then I don't see any point in ever going there.

:lol:

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Having spent some time in Boston I can't say that there's any real similarity between it and Melbourne ,nevertheless I thoroughly appreciated the city while I was there. I particularly enjoyed some of the great restaurants you guys have and I also found the people to be very friendly and helpful.

·
Chip on my shoulder (BBQ)
3,135 Posts
^^ I agree - the two cities are completely different.

I was there a few years ago and loved the city - with San Francisco, it would be in my top couple of US cities. I stayed in the Back Bay district which was great.

My highlights were watching the Red Sox at Fenway - (best ball park in USA easily), walking around the Harvard Yard and visiting Lexington, Concord and the Massachuttes Atlantic coast.

A wonderful town - very sophisticated and generally peaceful with an abundance of history.

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
I tend to not understand that idea that Melbourne and Boston are similar, people seem to have taken the sister city idea literally and ran with it.

From an urban planning perspective its more like Sydney, in that it grew organically into a bit of a mish-mash of streets. Melbourne probably has more of a typical US-city style lay out than Boston, with its rigid inner city blocks, and larger ones extending out into the suburbs, eg/ Chicago, Philadelphia, and even LA.

I think the similarities between them are more social, both served important roles in the development of their respective nations. But then Melbourne is probably more comparable to Philadelphia in that regard (as former capitals). The only obvious similarity is that they are both the leading University cities of each country.

I love the idea of Boston. When I was in NY last year the choice was either a roadtrip to Boston or Montreal- we went with the latter, which was still amazing (albeit slightly over-hyped).

Seattle is another American city which looks insanely appealing.

·
Chip on my shoulder (BBQ)
3,135 Posts
^^ Philly's CBD is nothing like Melbourn'es. It is also a very crowded, unplanned sort of place. Its streets are narrow and a bit chaotic.

That is not meant to be a criticism as its a fascinating place - arguably with the best historical precinct in America.

But from a town planning point of view, its ad hoc.

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
I wasn't referring to just the CBD, broadly the city has a similar pattern of blocks to other US cities and Melbourne, but absent in Sydney and Boston. There are more obvious examples though, like Chicago.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Great pics, post more.
Brings back childhood memories, i was lucky to be over there in 'the fall' when i was 13 when my father was sent there to work.. :)
We stayed mostly in Salem but went to Boston a few times when my dad was not working, it seemed dark and damp and i just loved it.
Ive returned 2 times to USA but sadly ive not returned to Boston, though i vowed i would when i was a kid your pics have brought back some of those cool memories.
The Hancock building brings it all back..

·
Registered
4,505 Posts

Hopefully over the years they will utilise the space given from putting the freeways underground.

its a good project but right now that open space looks a bit bleak. It's still severing the city in two.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the comments! I don't really have any dining room pictures at the moment but maybe I'll try to grab some soon. I'm thinking of going into the city for new pics sometimes this week.

The "greenway" is currently suffering from a lack of funding and extremely poor vision. I have 2 quick examples of this. First was there were plans to build a sleek ~350' glass apartment tower while saving the structure of one of Boston's beautiful older buildings (Shreve, Crump, and Lowe building). It was deemed "too iconic", shortened, redesigned into a much poorer looking tower that now includes the demolition of the older building, and APPROVED(!!!) The other is there is currently a huge parking garage next to the Aquarium, blocking access to the waterfront. The developer proposed a couple large towers, topping in the 600's, including an opening in the middle to provide nicer harbor access. However, he is feuding with the mayor, whose puppet organization (the BRA, Boston Redevelopment Authority) decided to make 200' the uncompromising height limit for the location. It's all pretty disgusting if you ask me...

Anyways, here are a few more pics just for the heck of it. Cool? ;)

(the smaller skyline seen across the river in some shots is Cambridge, home to such famous universities as Harvard and MIT)

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A couple panos from this month. I wanted to submit one as a banner, but unfortunately they no longer accept new ones...

Scroll >>>>>>>

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
The big dig was an amazing process and has dramatically reshaped Boston.

That was a great vision for the city, which no Australian city has come close to doing, nor would likely ever undetake.

Boston is an amazing city.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
The "greenway" is currently suffering from a lack of funding and extremely poor vision. I have 2 quick examples of this. First was there were plans to build a sleek ~350' glass apartment tower while saving the structure of one of Boston's beautiful older buildings (Shreve, Crump, and Lowe building). It was deemed "too iconic", shortened, redesigned into a much poorer looking tower that now includes the demolition of the older building, and APPROVED(!!!) The other is there is currently a huge parking garage next to the Aquarium, blocking access to the waterfront. The developer proposed a couple large towers, topping in the 600's, including an opening in the middle to provide nicer harbor access. However, he is feuding with the mayor, whose puppet organization (the BRA, Boston Redevelopment Authority) decided to make 200' the uncompromising height limit for the location. It's all pretty disgusting if you ask me...
LOL, sounds like our 2 cities have more in common than i thought.
We have a city councile that has tried to stop a building development because they have deemed it ''too iconic'', and a heritage hotel redevelopment thats being challanged by the courts so it can be dumbed down to a point that actually more heritage aspects of the hotel will be lost than in the original and better proposal. :eek:hno:

·
Agenda 21 Advocate
4,151 Posts
The big dig was an amazing process and has dramatically reshaped Boston.

That was a great vision for the city, which no Australian city has come close to doing, nor would likely ever undetake.

Boston is an amazing city.
If only it didn't piss away half as many dollars.

1 - 20 of 143 Posts