SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 259 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Melrose Arch is a mixed-use new urbanism development in Johannesburg which has been in various stages of development for more than five years. More than R1 billion has already been spent on retail and residential developments while there is a five-star hotel, Melrose Arch Hotel, which is an African Pride Hotel brand of Protea Hotels.

This is a new thread for new developments taking place at the Melrose Arch business district in the northern suburbs of Johannesburg.

Please post pictures and articles on new developments that are taking place.

Here are the developments in Melrose Arch:

The Lincoln at Melrose Arch

Offices on the Piazza

Melrose Square on Oak Lane

______

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread on a superb mixed use project that was glaringly missing for a while.Just this morning i was battling to find something about this project which is arguable one of the most successful mixed use developments in South Africa.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Hmmm.. I distinctly remember posting a thread about the Oak Lane development, as well as Offices on the Piazza, The Piazza, and there was one more, but the name completely escaped me. hehe.

Nevertheless, great idea to start a thread, because there is a lot going on in this lovely gentrified area of Jozi.

The Piazza is going to be BIG.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Quite a pain in the ass for us who work here, i will tell you that.......

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
and those of us who live there!! My Jozi flat is in melrose arch and its gonna be one big building site for a while! but when its done it will be the best area of the city by far.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Can anyone supply some sort of map or overhead view of this district? I cant tell if its 4 buildings or an entire CBD.

·
BITTER HEART NEVER REST
11,390 Posts
This map shouws too much space on North side of it. How come we don't see BMW, VW and the new shopping centre on Melrose's exit?

·
BITTER HEART NEVER REST
11,390 Posts
^^ I cut them off. They were there, just as a strip right below Corlett Drive. But they're not really part of the Melrose Arch development.....
Jah, they outside Melrose Arch, can you please show us the space available for all these developments.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Thanks guys - looks like it will be a pretty cool development when its finished. Looks like a little chunk of Paris or Madrid in Joburg

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
yup its a great place. Are you popping to Joburg on your trip clive? If so try to get to moyos at melrose arch which is a great place to eat in the evening and also try to pop to the melrose arch hotel for a drink.

·
Registered
281 Posts
yup its a great place. Are you popping to Joburg on your trip clive? If so try to get to moyos at melrose arch which is a great place to eat in the evening and also try to pop to the melrose arch hotel for a drink.
We will be in Joburg - however the plan is only one night while moving between Pilansburg and Durban. I'd prefer to see a bit more, but am having a bit of trouble convincing my fellow travellers that Joburg is worth seeing.

I think part of the problem is that Joburg doesnt have anything specifically iconic that foreigners can associate with and visualise. I have raved about the Apartheid museum etc but they arent all that interested in the culture/history angle, unfortunately.

However ... how long is the drive from Sandton central to Melrose Arch... Maybe we can pop past (and what freeway is that in the pic?). Thanks for the recommendation.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
However ... how long is the drive from Sandton central to Melrose Arch... Maybe we can pop past (and what freeway is that in the pic?). Thanks for the recommendation.
bleh.. joburg's beauty is certainly not obvious but it's there. or maybe i'm just too patriotic. ;)

anyway, Melrose Arch isn't nearly as big as Umhlanga, but it'll certainly get bigger. it's not far at all from Sandton, just straight down the M1 and take the Corlett Drive offramp. take you about 10 minutes at the most.

but i wouldn't really go to melrose arch because personally i find it a little sterile, and as normal as any other place you'd find overseas. i'd give 4th Avenue in Parkhurst, or Gleneagles Drive in Greenside, or 44 Stanley, or Newtown, or 7th Avenue in Melville a try, as I think they're all authentically Joburger.

as for landmarks... we've always got the Nelson Mandela bridge. lol. no but seriously, our landmarks would be the museums such as the apartheid museum and the Constitutional Court and also Mapungubwe. they're all worth a visit.

·
BITTER HEART NEVER REST
11,390 Posts
Mike the coolset Moyo is the one by Zoo Lake. I also use to say that one in Melrose Arch is lekker.

·
BITTER HEART NEVER REST
11,390 Posts
bleh.. joburg's beauty is certainly not obvious but it's there. or maybe i'm just too patriotic. ;)

anyway, Melrose Arch isn't nearly as big as Umhlanga, but it'll certainly get bigger. it's not far at all from Sandton, just straight down the M1 and take the Corlett Drive offramp. take you about 10 minutes at the most.

but i wouldn't really go to melrose arch because personally i find it a little sterile, and as normal as any other place you'd find overseas. i'd give 4th Avenue in Parkhurst, or Gleneagles Drive in Greenside, or 44 Stanley, or Newtown, or 7th Avenue in Melville a try, as I think they're all authentically Joburger.

as for landmarks... we've always got the Nelson Mandela bridge. lol. no but seriously, our landmarks would be the museums such as the apartheid museum and the Constitutional Court and also Mapungubwe. they're all worth a visit.
They can even go to Soweto and have a day tour. Zoo lakes for drinks, etc. I think it will be best for Clive to contact Gauteng Tourism.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Thanks for the websites - will look at closely - hopefully there will be suitably sexy sounding stuff.

And for the record - I think Joburg rocks. Always have.

1 - 20 of 259 Posts