SkyscraperCity banner

241 - 259 of 259 Posts

·
BITTER HEART NEVER REST
11,390 Posts
There's a development here that is either complete or almost complete that we never covered in this thread. When I get time I will try get photos.

·
There's cake, right?
3,362 Posts
Marriott outlines Melrose Arch plans

Nasdaq-listed hotel operator Marriott International will be opening two new branded Marriott properties — a hotel and an executive apartment complex — in Johannesburg’s Melrose Arch precinct in February next year.
The president and MD of Marriott Middle East and Africa, Alex Kyriakidis, said yesterday that despite the brand having had a presence on the continent for the past 35 years, it had not been represented in SA and wanted to “plant its own brand” here because the South African market was unique.

Marriott will partner with property developer and owner of the Melrose Arch Precinct, the Amdec property group, for the project, which will include a 150 room hotel and an executive apartment complex consisting of 200 units.
Read more: SA Commercial Property News

·
1,785 Posts
I noticed that these buildings were coming down a few weeks ago. Interesting that the next Melrose Arch expansion is happening here, and not in one of the more obvious places.

http://businessmediamags.co.za/built-environment/infrastructure-pr/icon-demolition-for-melrose-arch-extension/

There's also a new building going up which you can see in the Google Earth image, I think where the old Meat Co. used to be.

I will try go for a walk around here in the next few weeks. Drove though recently and the whole area is really looking great!

·
South Straddie QLD
10,874 Posts
There is a new mixed use behind the old meat co which is no Amdec offices and is a protected building. Building is on the old car park of the hotel.

The other building on Corlett is not a Amdec melrose arch building but a private developer , old hotel is also being cleaned up

·
1,785 Posts
Article states that the demo is to make space for an extension of the Melrose Arch super basement and for the construction of a further mixed use building? Has another developer bought into the Melrose Arch idea?

Here's a render of the new building behind the Meat Co:

From http://www.tri-starconstruction.co.za/

What do you mean it's no Amdec offices and is protected?

·
South Straddie QLD
10,874 Posts
not sure mate but its outside the boundaries of the melrose arch JV (its owned by Amdec and L2D) so might be Amdec on there own but doubt it as they still have massive amounts of bulk undeveloped in the JV as first priority (as its proclaimed and liable for rates) but because they have a lot on the go in the Cape and ones balance sheets only so big. I heard it was a private developer but may be wrong.

I think is dilutes the value of Melrsoe to go outside the gates and into the grubby corlett drive

·
1,785 Posts
The article says that Amdec awarded the demo contract, so must be them alone.

I think that the expansion into Corlett is literally the best news ever! The developers clearly have a larger vision here, and don't just want to create a gated and closed off environment only for the residents of the area. If they can get the integration along Corlett Drive correct, it will be hugely beneficial to the area.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The article says that Amdec awarded the demo contract, so must be them alone.

I think that the expansion into Corlett is literally the best news ever! The developers clearly have a larger vision here, and don't just want to create a gated and closed off environment only for the residents of the area. If they can get the integration along Corlett Drive correct, it will be hugely beneficial to the area.
They need to start with redoing the Corlett Drive road!

·
South Straddie QLD
10,874 Posts
Zoal agree it would be great news but if i was a shareholder i would be asking why not move on the zoned and serviced bulk first?

secondly I 10000% agree withDari that melrose achillies heal is Corlett drive especially for M1 to first gate

What makes Waterfall work is that fact that developer and landowners went outside the boundary to fix lights, pavements , landscaping etc and then worke with other large landowners to invest in infrastructure (new M1 / Woodmead intersection for R53mil leading down woodmead past world of golf etc), Developers of precincts need to step outside the manicured gates and see what a visitor or tenant sees everyday

·
Registered
491 Posts
Wonder if they’ll achieve finishing this project with those 2 big sections still to go and the very precarious economic situation??

241 - 259 of 259 Posts