SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
oemoemenemoe
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeing the thread about how to store your images, it kind of made me wonder how everybody stores their images before they put it on their computer.

With this I mean, how many memory cards, which type, brand etc. And whether you use an imagetank or something like that.

I myself first had a 128 mb CompactFlash card, but found it to be less than sufficient, so I bought an additional 1GB card. Although this should, theoretically, provide me with 290 pictures in the highest quality (with an 8MP cam), I can still only shoot 117 pictures in RAW. I say 'only', because I'll be going on a 3 week holiday in a couple of months, and 117, or even 290 pictures, aren't nearly enough. I don't feel like buying more memory-cards, however, since for any other occasions a 1GB card is quite sufficient, it just isn't for 3 weeks of shooting ;). I am sceptical to buying cards larger than 1GB, because the cost of them are pretty steep, and having a single card of say 4GB kind of leaves you in the dark if it breaks down, so IMO having 4 1GB cards is safer than the other way around, but imagetanks are as susceptible to that ofcourse. I do have an Ipod, and I heard that there are solutions that use Ipod's as well. I'm looking for a range from say 5GB upward. I hope somebody can give me some info, and enlighten me about how you store your images :D

·
4,559 Posts
I shoot in the highest JPG quality, resulting in image files each on average 3.5MB. Until recently I used 256+128+128+64MB cards plus an 'image tank' ('digital wallet' bought in 2001, manufacturer soon went out of business) of 10GB. But several times downloading the pictures to the imagetank out on the streets became quite annoying, especially as (with old age) the rechargable battery pack lost its power quite fast. And carrying the imagetank (and power supply) means more weight and takes more room in the bag. So now I have a 2GB memory card, enough for short weekend trips. For longer trips I only need to download the images to the imagetank once every day in the evening in the hotel room.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I use a harddrive based MP3 player, iRiver H320.
I connect my card reader to it and store. It also works as a viewer too. Used it for my trip to India last winter and worked great.

·
122,309 Posts
I found an internet cafe near Leicester Square in London that has CD burners for only a pound an hour. I had my memory card reader with me so I just popped all my cards in and burned the photos onto a CD. Since then, I've used the internet cafe very often to unload my memory cards.

·
skyscraper connoisseur
6,206 Posts
Urban Dave said:
As far my cam only can store in Compact Flash (or megadrive) I own some CF.
a 128 mb and a 512 mb. I amb longing to buy a new one a 1 GB one, because in long travels, 512 it's not enough.
128mb! That's an ancient relic! For D70...1gig is a bare minimum. I'll go for 2 gig for sure.

·
Registered
139 Posts
that is interesting, i have a 2GB card, but i don't think it's enough for more than 2-3 days, i'm planning on buying somekind of portable storage when i'm going on big trips, i don't know where to start looking for this kind of device, any ideas?

·
oemoemenemoe
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
beivushtang said:
that is interesting, i have a 2GB card, but i don't think it's enough for more than 2-3 days, i'm planning on buying somekind of portable storage when i'm going on big trips, i don't know where to start looking for this kind of device, any ideas?
Yeah, that's what I wanted to know. Imagine being away for 3 weeks without being able to unload your files!

·
4,559 Posts
Some portable HD MP3 jukeboxes (like iRiver H320SE, 20GB storage) can be linked through USB directly to your digicam for download and storage. But this doesn't work for all digicams, only those that work without software drivers when connecting through USB.

·
Success and Happiness
6,696 Posts
I have these cards: 2 Lexar 80x 1 Gb CF, 1 Kingston 512Mb CF and 1 Kingston 256Mb CF. Thought of getting either:

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=49164278
or

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0401/04012802nikoncoolwalker.asp

hkskyline's idea of writing to CDs sounds good if the place has an internet cafe with CDRW capability. My friend dropped his portable hard disk and lost all the images stored in there... a week's pictures... in the end, he has only last day's pictures in his CF card :sleepy:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts