Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's post all signs or roadside monuments showing where a meridian or parallel passes. The two Tropics, the Arctic Circle, the Equator and the Greenwitch meridian are included.

I start with my county, Italy. Northern Italy is crossed by the 45N parallel who marks the halfway distance between the Equator and the North Pole (5,000km from both). Due its particularity, it's signposted in many places.

A21 Brescia-Turin near Voghera

A7 Milan - Genoa near Casei Gerola

Chieri, near Turin

Chieri again

Scardovari, near Po delta

Restaurant "45° parallelo" in Voghera

SS309 Venice-Ravenna

·
Islander
23,628 Posts

·
Deadpan Snarker
9,489 Posts
^^ "Miles." :eek2:

;-)

·
Korpus niedyplomatyczny
220 Posts
Cross the 50th parallel every day on my way to work, never seen a sign though...

·
Leudimin
No 41, not good
8,991 Posts
And I was about to post it, too :lol:. The 'Berbegal meridian', as I call it as it passes through that town, isn't marked at other points, though: A-22 at Prime Meridian. OTOH, there is a monument on N-420 where it crosses the zero.

By the way, I've read somewhere that the parallel 45ºN is actually a bit closer to the Equator than is to the North Pole, due to the Earth not being a perfect sphere.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The town of Termoli, Molise, Italy is known primarily for three things: the Fiat plant, the ferry service to Tremiti islands and for being at the junction between 42°N and 15°E.
The 15°E meridian is the central meridian of the Central European Time Zone (UTC+1), that rougly extends from 0° (Greenwitch) and 30°E. For this reason, in Italy, especially in the past, UTC+1 was also known as "Termoli time".
A monument was recently built at the junction of 42°N and 15°E.

15°E across a rondabout.

·
Leudimin
No 41, not good
8,991 Posts
The town of Termoli, Molise, Italy is known primarily for three things: the Fiat plant, the ferry service to Tremiti islands and for being at the junction between 42°N and 15°E.
The 15°E meridian is the central meridian of the Central European Time Zone (UTC+1), that rougly extends from 0° (Greenwitch) and 30°E. For this reason, in Italy, especially in the past, UTC+1 was also known as "Termoli time".
A monument was recently built at the junction of 42°N and 15°E.
I knew that Termoli was home to that confluence (thanks to my Italian road atlas), but I believe it is at the very shore line.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Funkin' down the Track
706 Posts
I also recall 46th parallel signs in Trentino, Italy. Small brown sign with "46" and the word parallelo underneath it. Can't find any on Streetview though, and the holiday from which I recall passing these signs is some 20 years back ...

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Some pics of the Arctic Circle

Dalton Highway, Alaska, USA

Somewhere in Sweden

Near Rovaniemi, Finland

Dempster Highway, Northwest Territories, Canada

Nenetsky Autonomous Okrug, Russia

Grimsey island, Iceland

1 - 20 of 96 Posts