Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
I'm opposed unless it unlocks other improvements, such as a river crossing. Why should we give our assets away to the country for no return, especially as the country has been so mean in tolling our esturial crossings.

·
Registered
660 Posts
The crown estate owns the river down that way. I don't believe it's Peel.

Anyway, if we are really serious about becoming a green energy centre then these are the kind of projects we have to get behind.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Its also the type of project we should be seeing some return and benefit for the city, a percentage of any profits going towards projects within the city perhaps? obviously never happen but would be nice.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I'm having difficulty visualising a barrage that stretches from Dingle to Garston. Surely that is a promenade?

·
Banned
3,318 Posts
What are the chances of a new cross-river road or even light rail system on the top of this barrage?

If this became a barrage with a tolled road on the top of it, it could compete with the Mersey tunnels, hopefully uncutting them and forcing tolls down....or at the very least offering an alternative choice of route. The very worst that could happen is an identical toll, which could help offset some of the capital costs of building the barrage.

(before anyone accuses me of hypocracy, I am against public bodies funded by tax payers charging to use what should be, in my opinion, a completely free road....a private company building a tolled road on it's own infastructure, with money from it's own coffers is a completely different thing and I would welcome MT having some competition).

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Would a barrage from New Brighton to Bootle not work?

Ideally, we need a walkable bridge between the Pier Head and Birkenhead to link the two commercial centres into one and fully integrate Birkenhead and Wallasey into the city.

·
Banned
3,318 Posts
My understanding is it needs to be either at New Ferry, or at the north at New Brighton.

Anywhere in between is apparently not feasible due to the way the river runs (something to do with it being shallower and therefore more energy being channelled through at those two particular points.

If the barrage was at the north of the river it would of course interfere considerably with shipping.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
What are the chances of a new cross-river road or even light rail system on the top of this barrage?
If this became a barrage with a tolled road on the top of it, it could compete with ....
I believe that is not practical. The costs of enhancing a barrage to accommodate an all-weather highway compromises the design of both and ends up more expensive than building each separately. It might, just might, be feasible for a very broad and shallow crossing such as Chesapeake Bay or Ijsselmeer but not for the Mersey.

On the other hand a fair-weather, lightly-travelled crossing, closed whenever shipping needs to pass and used primarily as a leisure or tourist attraction is entirely feasible. Just don't hope for 365/24/7 operation.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
... or at the north at New Brighton.
... If the barrage was at the north of the river it would of course interfere considerably with shipping.
Yes, huge locks would be needed.

However,
(1) New huge locks are entirely feasible, comparable with those at Panama canal.
(2) A New Brighton to Langton alignment need not affect shipping using the container port river entrance.
(3) A Northern barrage would improve, rather than damage, flood defenses.
(4) A Northern barrage would provide an opportunity to intelligently manage upstream water levels and salinity to the benefit of both commerce and wildlife.

The Dingle - New Ferry alignment is probably cheaper and more profitable if one ignores benefits to the public as contrasted with profits to the owner. Which is of course the modern political fashion.

·
Banned
3,318 Posts
In New Brighton there is a very vocal and determined NIMBY brigade who have, rightly or wrongly, managed to scupper many a potential project. Neptune have taken over a decade to get permission and acceptance for a massively compromised (from their point of view) scheme.

The people in North Wallasey were prepared to knock back 75 million pounds worth of investment.

This scheme would never be accepted in North Wallasey due to the huge changes it would make to what is a beautiful environment, the noise and the fact that it would ruin the view.

I don't believe that residents of Wirrals "rust belt", should have to suffer noise and compromised views either, but if there is to be a barrage, due to the already industrial nature of that part of the Wirral you would expect that it will be placed there....and I suspect Peel know this and that's why they aren't pushing for it to be further up river.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
In New Brighton there is a very vocal and determined NIMBY brigade who have, rightly or wrongly, managed to scupper many a potential project. Neptune have taken over a decade to get permission and acceptance for a massively compromised (from their point of view) scheme.

The people in North Wallasey were prepared to knock back 75 million pounds worth of investment.

This scheme would never be accepted in North Wallasey due to the huge changes it would make to what is a beautiful environment, the noise and the fact that it would ruin the view.

I don't believe that residents of Wirrals "rust belt", should have to suffer noise and compromised views either, but if there is to be a barrage, due to the already industrial nature of that part of the Wirral you would expect that it will be placed there....and I suspect Peel know this and that's why they aren't pushing for it to be further up river.
You don't half like artificial geographies. You affiliate to a fantasy "Wirral" identity (when it's a collection of discrete suburbs like Hoylake, Heswall, Tranmere, Wallasey) and now you seem to be merging NB with Egremont and God Knows Where Else.......bits of Liscard and Wallasey Village..........!!!?!!!?!!!!?!!!!! into an artificial "North Wallasey" construct. "North Wallasey" indeed! Where did you get that from? Is it a new zone imposed by "Wirral" Council to denigrate the constituent towns of their artificial and unpopular composite "borough"?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts