SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll start this off with 1 pic,feel free to post your pics from this historic Liverpool occasion...I for one am looking forward to them.

·
Registered
83 Posts
A fascinating walk ! Didn't realise how steep it is and very informative , letting you know excactly what you are underneath ! Spot on :cheers:

·
3,334 Posts
Yeah this was a brilliant event, the air was very clear in there the fans obviously working well, the walls do need a coat of paint. When I was a kid the lower part of the tunnel walls were tiled, cleaners were in there most nights wiping them down.
You got a medal and certificate at the finish, a great family event well done Merseytravel!!

Some radio bloke, don't know who this is.

·
15,000 head under the Mersey for special walk

Liverpool Daily Post

MORE than 15,000 people enjoyed a Sunday stroll under the River Mersey yesterday. The walkers streamed through the Queensway Tunnel from a soggy St George’s plateau from 11am to around 3pm...continued

·
Banned
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Great pics all. Can anyone tell me what the spooky looking side tunnel in Ge's pic is?

Goldie,the spooky tunnel would be the Birkenhead Dock tunnel as seen bottom left in the pic on here http://www.tunnelusers.org.uk/history.htm

Click the WOWE thingy for a bigger pic.

Heres a few more pics..

Thanks Doug for posting your piccies..smashing they are as well..

If you have any connections with Merchant Taylors in Crosby you might just know this chap,Neville, the lollipop man.

·
3,334 Posts
Cheers Ged your pic from the steps is great, the tunnelusers link was interesting thanks. My only disappointment on the day was the no-show of the Phil orchestra, rumored to be playing at a mid point in the tunnel, caused some comment in the Brocklebank column this morning.

·
Fugly
11,296 Posts
Taking photos there any other day of the year would probably see you shipped off on terrosism charges. Stupid country. :eek:hno:

Great pics BTW. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Well done to all the walkers and the photographers.

I wonder about the state of that electrical gear in all the rain - though I suppose concerts suffer it too.

The RLPO played in the dip when I ran through there back in 94 to commemorate the tunnel's 60th birthday.

·
Liverpool, England.
12,595 Posts
Thanks for posting those photos Ged and Doug - good as ever. Makes me wish I'd gone along now.

I heard that my grandfather was responsible for working out the exact position for this sign when he worked for the City Engineer. In his day it would have said Birkenhead and Liverpool.

The Birkenhead dock tunnel was closed on the opening of the Wallasey Tunnel and is now only used for emergency access. Apparently, one use for it would be as a morgue in the event of a major disaster affecting Merseyside.

The tunnel lining definitely needs repair and painting. This shows how it looked when it first opened:

The black glass dado outlined with stainless steel strips that formed the original side walls was removed at an early stage because it was disorientating drivers and causing accidents. It was replaced with cream coloured tiling (apparently by the same manufacturer who carried out the work free of charge), which was in turn replaced by the corrugated sheeting in the 70s.

The lighting was replaced with a central fluorescent tube and the roof was painted dark blue to match the new Wallasey tunnel sometime in the 70s. I think that is more for reasons of driver psychology than anything else as it makes lighting conditions similar to driving along an open road at night.

The Wallasey tunnel is currently being repainted and I hope that Queensway will follow suit. There used to be a lorry mounted tunnel cleaning machine when the tunnel first opened with a gantry that followed the profile of the tunnel, but I think it is all done by hand now.

Next year, the tunnel will be 75 years old and it would be great if they could commemorate the anniversary by repainting the interior and replacing the Art Deco lighting feature at the Liverpool entrance that was removed when the flyovers were installed.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Great pics. But why Wirral coat of arms? Surely that should be Birkenhead coat of arms? Am not sure there is even a Wirral coat of arms? In much the same way that there arnt Sefton, Knowsley or Halton coats of arms.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Halton with a coat of arms! this just gets loopier. i think a better arrangement would be to have the original Birkenhead coat of arms in the Birkenhead tunnel and the original Wallasey coat of arms in the Wallasey tunnel.:eek:hno:

·
Registered
16,286 Posts
Great photos Ged and Doug. If this is repeated next year for the 75th anniversary I'm definately going. I reckon it could be quite some time before it's repeated again after that.

Interesting post Martin - several things I didn't know about the tunnel there. I don't know about the costs and the difficulties of doing it, but the corrugated steel could do with being removed. It's hardly the most attractive internal covering, and it seems to do a very good job of attracting and retaining dirt, and due to its shape, it can't be easy to clean. Hopefully whatever happens, as you say, it'll get a thorough clean-up for its 75th next year.

·
Banned
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Thanks chaps,according to the Echo Chris it will be repeated to mark the 75th ann next year,I'd be surprised if this does not come off and I think it should not be missed,as you say Chris,it will be a long time before it comes around again..

·
Banned
15,521 Posts
Halton with a coat of arms! this just gets loopier. i think a better arrangement would be to have the original Birkenhead coat of arms in the Birkenhead tunnel and the original Wallasey coat of arms in the Wallasey tunnel.:eek:hno:
All boroughs have coats of arms.

·
Banned
15,521 Posts
Knowsley Coat of Arms

Sefton's is used in its logo - and is the coat of arms of the Molyneux family (ie, the Lords of Sefton).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts