SkyscraperCity banner

121 - 140 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
11,990 Posts

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
There are a number of level crossings shown in the above video, none of which appears to have a grade crossing signal, sign or gate. Prepare for increased accidents at these points. Hopefully the govt/KR act to resolve this safety issue before a tragedy occurs.

Reactions: Kenguy

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
The service is finally going to commence this Friday. And will be commissioned by Uhuru.

The journey will cost Sh200 for about 5-6 hour journey all the way to Nanyuki. I expect this train will be very full especially since Christmas is coming and it will stop at several locations for us highland folks.

·
Kenyan stakeholder
204 Posts
If they could deploy DMUs during the Christmas period (when urban traffic is low), they could make a killing, especially if they do Nakuru, Kisumu, Eldoret and Mombasa.

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
If they could deploy DMUs during the Christmas period (when urban traffic is low), they could make a killing, especially if they do Nakuru, Kisumu, Eldoret and Mombasa.
The DMUs they have are just city trains.

They should buy CRRC used DMUs passenger trains like the models Sudan bought.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Some of those line to the West are unserviceable, and at various stages of rehabilitation.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
The scary bridge is in Maragua. I always pass it on my way to Muranga via Sagana. That price of 150 Ksh. Wait for the Christmas rush when matatu fares climb to astronomical levels, people will line up to use the train and to experience a novelty most of us missed out on due to the useless Moi regime.

I hope the counties can now wake up partner with KR and build proper passenger stations. Especially for the following: Kiambu county: Thika station, Muranga county: Muranga and Maragua, Nyeri county: Karatina and Kiganjo (or Chaka which might be busier), Laikipia County: Nanyuki station.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
The scary bridge is in Maragua. I always pass it on my way to Muranga via Sagana. That price of 150 Ksh. Wait for the Christmas rush when matatu fares climb to astronomical levels, people will line up to use the train and to experience a novelty most of us missed out on due to the useless Moi regime.

I hope the counties can now wake up partner with KR and build proper passenger stations. Especially for the following: Kiambu county: Thika station, Muranga county: Muranga and Maragua, Nyeri county: Karatina and Kiganjo (or Chaka which might be busier), Laikipia County: Nanyuki station.
You mean there are no stations. Even a simple one with canopy and platform is good rather than people jumping off the train steps as is commonly seen (which is dangerous, one can dislocate their leg while at it).

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·

·
ici maintenant & toujours
1,892 Posts
Travel agents have already seized the opportunity to market Mt Kenya Tourism circuit. . Hii traffic jam ya Kakuzi watu wasahau kidogo this Christmas period.Kenya Railways should also launch the Nyahururu and Nakuru routes

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 ·

If they also bring these back. I’m telling you to further enhance the tourism circuit will be amazing. Saddened the new generations weren’t trained to at least learn how to drive the steam trains.

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 · (Edited)

The seats are not suitable for an 8-hour train ride. But the scenic beauty of rural Mt. Kenya brings tears to my eyes.

I noticed they're building Chaka Rail station so it looks like there might be a commuter train operational between the different towns in the region.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts

The seats are not suitable for an 8-hour train ride. But the scenic beauty of rural Mt. Kenya brings tears to my eyes.

I noticed they're building Chaka Rail station so it looks like there might be a commuter train operational between the different towns in the region.
I'm glad they are building the Chaka station. Come to think of it, its very strategic. Its in between Karatina and Nanyuki on one side and on the other side you can approach Nyeri town using two different routes via Kiganjo and via Mweiga with the airport just next door. If they play their cards right (I'm looking at a future with much faster commuter trains and a busy airport) Chaka may become a transportation hub for the sub region.

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·

Hopefully KR listens. And increases frequency.

121 - 140 of 160 Posts