SkyscraperCity banner

181 - 200 of 272 Posts

·
Mnadhimu Mkuu
1,015 Posts

According to the residents there is a clear boundary between the KR property and Kibos Nubian Village settlement whic had been demarcated in the 1930's but KR disregarded the Map and came up with another one and issued eviction notice....residents had moved to court to stop the eviction but KR demolished the village regardless, crushed their houses and belongings with dozers refusing to give them time to remove.

·
Registered
11,994 Posts
Going by what I'm seeing on the ground, the demolitions countrywide are taking huge sections of our urban landscape, neighborhoods being wiped off the map. Given that the railway lines by design were passing near CBDs of most towns, some CBDs may become unrecognisable when this exercise is concluded. Its almost as if we had a natural disaster tearing through western Kenya. I cant even count the number of homeless or businesses brought down in these difficult times.

Like the Kibos case, I have a feeling some people are taking out communities using the railway as an excuse maybe for electoral or other reasons. Just like what they used to do in the US to black neighborhoods, plan a highway or a railway through the unwanted community and wipe it off the map.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
^^
Are this communities encroaching on the railway corridor?

Its very sad what is happening. If we are to correct past mistakes in terms of encroachment, illicit/illegal buildings many poor souls will suffer. But again, this is the cost of development. It has its casualties especially coming from past corrupt and inept regimes.

·
Registered
148 Posts
^^
Are this communities encroaching on the railway corridor?

Its very sad what is happening. If we are to correct past mistakes in terms of encroachment, illicit/illegal buildings many poor souls will suffer. But again, this is the cost of development. It has its casualties especially coming from past corrupt and inept regimes.
... i remember a few years ago in the kariobangi area ...i saw people settling in the land set aside for the sewage system .....it was clearly demarcated......i was in the area doing the bvr electoral registrations.......and i told a friend that the houses wil b demolished ...and last year they were demolished......who is to blame ...i had sonko pulling the president's name in the saga ......

·
Mnadhimu Mkuu
1,015 Posts
Going by what I'm seeing on the ground, the demolitions countrywide are taking huge sections of our urban landscape, neighborhoods being wiped off the map. Given that the railway lines by design were passing near CBDs of most towns, some CBDs may become unrecognisable when this exercise is concluded. Its almost as if we had a natural disaster tearing through western Kenya. I cant even count the number of homeless or businesses brought down in these difficult times.

Like the Kibos case, I have a feeling some people are taking out communities using the railway as an excuse maybe for electoral or other reasons. Just like what they used to do in the US to black neighborhoods, plan a highway or a railway through the unwanted community and wipe it off the map.
The destroyed mosque was more than 90 years old, Nubians have been disenfranchised so much in this country, they have been denied IDs and even registering and getting title for the land that they had been allocated by the colonial Government, while other people who encroached and grabbed land where their village stood have gotten titles and escaped the demolition.

Same happened in Kibera when they were building the access road, the Nubian community was adversely affected and so many of them lost their housed and land.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts

Amazing how different a project looks when given to our cowboys vs these guys!
What are they doing with that cleared space on the sides? It is not just a maintenance road right?

181 - 200 of 272 Posts