SkyscraperCity banner

201 - 220 of 272 Posts

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
Maybe they should consider welding the rail. For a smoother and faster experience.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Amazing what a dedicated funding source for continuous investment in the railway network can do for it - I hope one day they will just use it to continue SGR westwards slowly by slowly
I believe you're referring to the Railway Development Levy. BTW is there any Data available as the sums collection pee since introduction
I can recollect figures for first three or four years.

·
Registered
11,994 Posts
Sometimes I think Eldoret got a raw deal in terms of infrastructure during the colonial days. The had no proper railway station built while neighboring Nakuru and Kitale on the other hand got elaborate stations. Maybe the Brits just did not want to invest too much in areas dominated by Afrikaners like Eldoret. For example there was segregation even among whites in Eldoret. The Boers had their own schools teaching in Afrikaans while the Brits attended different schools teaching in English. If it was not for the Moi era and things left to continue as they were, Eldoret would have been left in the dust while the likes of Kitale would have really flourished. Sadly, the Moi years were the dark ages for Kenya Railways so Eldoret lost a golden chance for a proper station.

That said, I think its a really good opportunity for the county of Uasin Gishu and KR to build a station befitting Kenya's fifth largest city. Posted a pic of the Kitale station to compare to the " Eldoret station" platform as seen in the video above.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts

Today, Nzoia Sugar flagged off its first sugar consignment slated for transportation via rail from its Bungoma Headquarters destined for Nairobi
Team led by MD Mainga toured the Nzoia Sugar Company ahead of revitalisation of the Nzoia Sugar rail siding which has been rehabilitated as part of the National Railway Rehabilitation Project.

This development comes at the back of sustained investment by the GoK in the rail sector. Reforms in the sugar sector based on the Crops General regulations 2020 will also support sustained growth of the sugar industry throughout the country.

May be if we had been doing this since 1978 by now Nzoia Sugar would have enough money to Tarmac all those roads leading in and out of the facility without needing help from the government... And may be we could be exporting this stuff to the rest of the continent too......

·
Registered
687 Posts
I heard the Nzoia MD saying that the landed price of sugar in Nairobi will be Ksh 101 per Kg. That means the retail price in supermarkets will be around Ksh 110. That is a sharp drop from the current price of Ksh 120 per kg.

Well done Nzoia.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
May be if we had been doing this since 1978 by now Nzoia Sugar would have enough money to Tarmac all those roads leading in and out of the facility without needing help from the government... And may be we could be exporting this stuff to the rest of the continent too......
This was the first thing I noticed as well.. A whole major processing company, and it has dirt roads leading into and out of it's main facility 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
118 Posts
I believe you're referring to the Railway Development Levy. BTW is there any Data available as the sums collection pee since introduction
I can recollect figures for first three or four years.
auditor oukos report was closeto a billion dollars b4 he retired

·
Registered
13,463 Posts

Reactions: mtu_saba

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
Build SGR to Malaba and forget about this old railway, it’s a waste of money and not a longterm solution for our future.

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
Despite any justifications that will be given for the metre gauge railway, I will only support the leader who will revamp the whole system with SGR. The sound and discomfort in the metre gauge rail was enough for me on my way to Mombasa when the device was still working. Had enough of that.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Despite any justifications that will be given for the metre gauge railway, I will only support the leader who will revamp the whole system with SGR. The sound and discomfort in the metre gauge rail was enough for me on my way to Mombasa when the device was still working. Had enough of that.
Not happening any time soon considering the country debt situation.

·
Registered
755 Posts
They never did they still transport something like 200-300,000 tonnes to Uganda.
Okay. I am even more confused now. So which railway is being renovated from Naivasha to Kisumu if the railway is still functional? I thought they are renovating it because that railway is not functioning?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Some months ago there were posts about tank wagons of fuel being ferried to Uganda over Lake Victoria. They were brought to the lake over the same railway so it must indeed be functional for cargo.

This is about passenger trains, perhaps travel time needed to be improved for passenger services to be worthwhile.

201 - 220 of 272 Posts