SkyscraperCity banner

221 - 240 of 272 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Okay. I am even more confused now. So which railway is being renovated from Naivasha to Kisumu if the railway is still functional? I thought they are renovating it because that railway is not functioning?
Mombasa Nairobi Nakuru Eldoret Malaba KAMPALA....

·
Registered
742 Posts
Some months ago there were posts about tank wagons of fuel being ferried to Uganda over Lake Victoria. They were brought to the lake over the same railway so it must indeed be functional for cargo.

This is about passenger trains, perhaps travel time needed to be improved for passenger services to be worthwhile.
Okay. This makes sense now if they are trying to increase its speed.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Some months ago there were posts about tank wagons of fuel being ferried to Uganda over Lake Victoria. They were brought to the lake over the same railway so it must indeed be functional for cargo.

This is about passenger trains, perhaps travel time needed to be improved for passenger services to be worthwhile.
Fuel is loaded at KPC in Kisumu on to Tank wagons. Then ferry

·
Registered
687 Posts
Okay. I am even more confused now. So which railway is being renovated from Naivasha to Kisumu if the railway is still functional? I thought they are renovating it because that railway is not functioning?
After Nakuru the rail branches off. One branch goes to Eldoret and onwards to Uganda. That has always been in use.
The other branch goes to Londiani and onwards to Kisumu. This is the one that needs rehabilitation.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
MGR from Mombasa - Malaba

Mombasa-Nairobi-Nakuru-Eldoret-Turbo-Kipkarren-Lugari-Webuye-Sudi-Bungoma-Mateka-Mianga-Kimaeti-Malaba >>>Uganda

I always thought the Eldoret-Malaba route was the busiest and most active one and that is why I was surprised when the SGR completely ignored it and made that turn to Kisumu. I am sure cost was a factor. By the way after Eldoret and before Turbo the railway branches off to Kitale (My Shags)​

Reactions: Tony254

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
I always thought the Eldoret-Malaba route was the busiest
In the end (2014) it was all transit cargo to Uganda, almost no business from the sidings in Eldoret, Kitale and Nakuru anymore. Once the factories with the sidings collapsed so did the rail cargo.

With the Kisumu route u have one difficult section (Narok-Kisumu) and two potential easy branches (Suswa-Nakuru/ Bungoma-Eldoret) with the Nakuru-Eldoret route u have a difficult (meaning costs are in the billions not 100 of millions) section and an equally difficult branch (Nakuru-Kisumu). Connecting all three (Kisumu/Nakuru/Eldoret) with the Kisumu route costs way less than with the Nakuru route.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Just wondering did Webuye Pan Paper Mills factory ever use the railway it its hay days?

·
Registered
117 Posts
1.Line to malaba has been functional..renovations were being done on the kisumu branch line which hasn't been working and had fallen into disrepair.
2.Completely new line is also being done to connect suswa SGR cargo ICD to the metre gauge railway at Longonot.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I recently watched a video of re-hab work going on along the Nakuru-Malaba stretch.

1.Line to malaba has been functional..renovations were being done on the kisumu branch line which hasn't been working and had fallen into disrepair.
2.Completely new line is also being done to connect suswa SGR cargo ICD to the metre gauge railway at Longonot.

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
Just wondering did Webuye Pan Paper Mills factory ever use the railway it its hay days?
Yes they had a siding. I guessing it was active at some point.

Reactions: Netlink

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Yes, the railway passes right there at the factory. They used it all the time for raw materials and for processed products.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Numerical Machining Complex at the Nairobi Central Railway workshops

Kenya Railways is refurbishing 31 locomotives to increase capacity in preparation for operations along the Longonot – Malaba Metre Gauge Railway (MGR) section and the Nakuru-Kisumu MGR branch line which are currently under rehabilitation.

Among the 31 locomotives, 9 are being rehabilitated and 22 others are undergoing an overhaul under the partnership between Kenya Railways and Kenya Defense Forces (KDF)
KDF is now being utilized on many projects. Wonder what they were doing the last 30 or so years?​

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
Maybe we should start considering use of ultra low sulfur diesel...

Numerical Machine has been a giant resource not used, and KDF should temper that giant like in the past... Might as well renew past partnerships and restart the Nyayo car but with an electric drivetrain with help from suppliers in China....

·
Registered
679 Posts
Can you see the "nyayo car" in the back - in the 3rd picture? - i would have thought it would have been stored in a better place.

Reactions: Adm.Adama

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
Can you see the "nyayo car" in the back - in the 3rd picture? - i would have thought it would have been stored in a better place.
All the models are sitting slowly wasting away at this complex. No one has even had an idea to restart the project and learn from what we did wrong.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Either peacekeeping or being comfortably kept and pampered in barracks to avoid another coup.
Counterintuitively this trending use of KDF in civilian projects can adversely affect military readiness and breed corruption in an outfit that was free of graft.China once had extensive PLA commercial ventures and a complete separation of military/commercial ventures was only achieved in 2020.Uhuru needs to tred carefully on this as China regretfully found out also.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Counterintuitively this trending use of KDF in civilian projects can adversely affect military readiness and breed corruption in an outfit that was free of graft.China once had extensive PLA commercial ventures and a complete separation of military/commercial ventures was only achieved in 2020.Uhuru needs to tred carefully on this as China regretfully found out also.
Very True!
Could it have been a plan all along though? In that China realized the private sector was too corrupt / "Cowboyish" for their ambitious plans to dominate. To bring in some order they used the military mighty but idle resources as an incubator for future state owned companies. Could Ethiopia be copying the same thing? Could Kenya be trying out the same approach?

China's end result however is the accumulated resources that they are now using to build this massive elite Military force that the west is now worried about.

This is just "wild speculation" on my part by the way I have not taken time to research the true engine/motive behind the rise of some of China's big companies.

221 - 240 of 272 Posts