Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 387 Posts

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Back in 2016, CCCC Railway Consultants has submitted a feasibility study for the Nairobi Central - JKIA leg of the Nairobi Light Rail. By April 2018 they have started deploying surveying teams on site. Recently, CCCC has released more information about the works of 3 survey teams in Nairobi, Eldoret and Mombasa. It appears the scope of this project has been expanded since it was first conceived.

According to CCCC Railway Consultants, formal agreement for this project will be signed during the coming FOCAC meeting which will be held in September 2018.

http://v.qq.com/txp/iframe/player.h...rtvc&autoplay=false&full=true&show1080p=false
^^ video showing the works of the 3 survey teams

^^ safety and technical handbook for the surveying teams

Survey Team 1 Stationed in Nairobi

Survey Team 3 Stationed in Eldoret

source source source

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
This is the most exciting news here in a while. Modern commuter rail to Nairobi & Mombasa CBD. That wouldn't cost much. On Eldoret branch line, where does it start and end. It can't be Naivasha because of distance and topography so is it Kericho where SGR Kenya passes in Phase 2B from Narok heading to Kisii.

Thanks LaoTze, your contributions to all Africa's country forums is very refreshing. Go China/Africa developments.

·
Registered
723 Posts
With the help of Google translate - and from @laotze post source link - here is what the text says. Some of the meaning is lost translation -- like what is "rice track" ?
My question is (to @Laotze) - is the meter rail being rehabilitated by the chinese gov. or is this just a survey? to find out what ?

I still think the meter rail network has a lot to give interms of logistics -- it can be a commuter rail/light cargo rail etc.

====
Railway Administration People's Store on Kenya's Centennial Meter Rail

The road to rebirth

122 years ago, at the beginning of the construction of the Mi-Rail Railway, Kenya was still a wasteland between Uganda and Mombasa. Over three years, at the cost of more than 9,000 casualties, the Mi-Rail Railway was built from Mombasa to Nairobi; in 1901 the meter track continued to extend inland to Kisumu on the shore of Lake Victoria; in 1931, it finally connected to the Ugandan capital Kampala. Thousands of kilometers of meter railroads can be shuttled to the seafront, highlands, rifts, and jungles of East Africa, becoming the only modern means of transportation from the east coast of Africa to the inland plateau. With the extension of the railway, the population along the line quickly gathered and grew, and the Republic of Kenya was born. In the evolution of history, the cities were formed one by one, and the Kenyan people accumulated deep feelings for the meter-rail railway. However, after hundreds of years of operation, due to natural aging and lack of maintenance, the operating speed of the Mi-Rail railway has dropped to 20 to 40 kilometers per hour , and accidents have occurred frequently. This has created a century-old railway in Kenya that has been dilapidated.

In April 2018, the engineers of the China Railway General Corporation appeared along the rice track. Their hard work saw the Kenyan people in their eyes. Soon the residents along the railways began to pass word of mouth: The original yellow-skinned Chinese people were able to get a new look for our Mi-Rail Railway. They could help Kenya. The realization of the 2030 Vision.

It is not as easy as the imagination to repair and reform the existing lines. Kenya crosses the equator, and the initial survey work was carried out under the scorching sun in Africa. At this time, it coincides with the rainy season. It has just struggled with ultraviolet rays, and it has to compete with the wind and rain for the second. The condition along the railway is bad, the mottled road is lame, and the vegetation is prickly. After the rain, it was covered with silt and walking was inconvenient. The work in the field is not only difficult but also labor intensive. Every day thunderstorms do not move ten kilometers or more. Some team members wear shoes, some have sunburned skin, some have blisters on their feet, and some are scarred by vegetation... but the team members work hard and follow the work plan in an orderly manner. task. Within the scope of the survey of a team, the railway is crossing Kenya's largest Kibera slum. The sewerage in the slum area is full of people's hearts and is filled with dirt and violence. Under the close protection of the armed police, the engineers successfully completed the investigation of this section.
The reform of the rice track continues. It is believed that under the meticulous organization and tireless efforts of the Mi-Rail Project Command of our institute, the Kenyan-Railway Railway, a century-long railway crossing 100 years of space, will in the near future carry the Kenyan century-old feeling of Nirvana rebirth and bear in the new century. The new mission is also the common expectation of all our workers!

(Contributed by: Chen Mengxi, Editor: Zhou Zhiguang, Auditing: Wang Yantao)

source

·
Registered
14,255 Posts
This is very exciting.

Odd they haven't talked about surveying the Mt. Kenya stretch and having that rebuilt and rehabilitated.

Reactions: Kenya Patriot

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With the help of Google translate - and from @laotze post source link - here is what the text says. Some of the meaning is lost translation -- like what is "rice track" ?
My question is (to @Laotze) - is the meter rail being rehabilitated by the chinese gov. or is this just a survey? to find out what ?

I still think the meter rail network has a lot to give interms of logistics -- it can be a commuter rail/light cargo rail etc.

====

"Rice track" should be metre gauge. Google translating Chinese text leaves a lot to be desired. :lol:

At this moment the scope of this project is still largely unkonwn. We know that 3 team are now conducting survey on site and CCCC mentioned they are preparing the detailed tel-communication and signaling design. This link also mentioned that the metre gauge makeover is one of this year's FOCAC project, which normally means there will be actual, concrete works.

I guess we will have to wait till September for more details.

·
Registered
12,659 Posts
This project is essential, especially for Eldoret and Nakuru. Hopefully the Mt Kenya region as well. That will ensure almost 90% of the Kenyan population has access to reliable rail services.

·
ici maintenant & toujours
1,974 Posts
I was surprised that the metre gauge still has some cargo business when the fuel wagons derailed over the weekend. Soo much attention is on the SGR. I have not seen the SGR transport fuel yet. So its seems this metre gauge still has some value. They better refurbish it asap esp for cargo on the traditional routes

·
Registered
12,659 Posts
I was surprised that the metre gauge still has some cargo business when the fuel wagons derailed over the weekend. Soo much attention is on the SGR. I have not seen the SGR transport fuel yet. So its seems this metre gauge still has some value. They better refurbish it asap esp for cargo on the traditional routes
The metre gauge still functions. Always hear train horns from my house in Eldy.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
SGR Kenya don't have any fuel or gas wagons to transport it. It was never part of the plan since Kenya pipeline is soon launching a new 24 inches pipeline between Nairobi and Mombasa that will completely meet our current and future needs.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
SGR Kenya don't have any fuel or gas wagons to transport it. It was never part of the plan since Kenya pipeline is soon launching a new 24 inches pipeline between Nairobi and Mombasa that will completely meet our current and future needs.
Tank cars do not exclusively carry only liquid petroleum. There are different chemicals and commodities of the liquid/gaseous variety that will need these wagons as a means of transportation, esp. if Kenya increases her manufacturing base. As such, I would think the train operators will invest in these wagons in the future, if they have not already.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Tank cars do not exclusively carry only liquid petroleum. There are different chemicals and commodities of the liquid/gaseous variety that will need these wagons as a means of transportation, esp. if Kenya increases her manufacturing base. As such, I would think the train operators will invest in these wagons in the future, if they have not already.
True, I forgot about chemicals imports/export. Ethiopia is having problems exporting Chemicals through Djibouti port due to high temperatures in the country which reaches 40 degrees centigrade. Lamu port appeals to them due to cooler atmosphere which ranges from 30-35 degrees. Once the SGR bridge at KPA Mombasa port is completed this month. It will link it to convectional berths 1-10. Thereafter all that RVR business of steel, clinker etc will now shift to SGR.

·
Registered
14,255 Posts
Why doesn't the government make a massive deal with Tata Chemicals and other companies and we lure them to Magadi and set up an industrial zone. The Soda Ash that's mined could be turned into finished products which we can ship abroad for double the cost of whats mined.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Why doesn't the government make a massive deal with Tata Chemicals and other companies and we lure them to Magadi and set up an industrial zone. The Soda Ash that's mined could be turned into finished products which we can ship abroad for double the cost of whats mined.
Its already happened!

Tata Chemicals Magadi (TCMLL) occupies a significant place in the African economy. It is Africa's largest soda ash manufacturer and one of Kenya's leading exporters. Just as significant, the company is an important part of the socio-economic fabric of the Lake Magadi region in Kenya where its soda ash facility is based.

Formerly known as Magadi Soda Company, TCMLL has been a part of Tata Chemicals since 2005. Tata Chemicals (TCL), a part of the global Tata group, is one of the world's leading chemical companies, with a widespread portfolio of household products, industrial chemicals and agricultural inputs. TCL's operations are located in the US, the UK, Kenya and India.
Source

·
Registered
6,774 Posts
What is modernization exactly? What are they exactly wanting to do to modernize it. We get lost in these words and then we are duped because we didn’t know what to expect in the first place. Can we know scope of works then we can judge for ourselves what this so called modernization is all about.

1 - 20 of 387 Posts