Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Bad Moon Rising
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm originally from Calvert County and when I was younger and my mum was still working, I always loved sometimes taking the Metro to her office. In fact, we still take the Metro into DC whenever we go places like the zoo for instance.

Anyway, it seems like Ehrlich and O'Malley didn't/don't give two "you know what's" about SOMD and they traffic issues we have and somehow are more focused on wasting money on frivolous projects like the ICC, Purple Line and Baltimore Red Line. SOMD could really use a Metro down here instead of the commuter buses which serve the region.

I've heard rumblings that light rail may go as far as White Plains, but that's not good enough. So does anybody here think that Metro will come to SOMD? Or will the high cost, inept politicians and NIMBY attitudes derail that possibility?

·
Oh No He Didn't
5,297 Posts
Well there isn't really any density or traffic levels to support extending Metro anywhere in Southern Maryland with the possible exception of Waldorf. Honestly I think converting MD 3/US 301 to a controlled access highway from Millersville all the way to the Potomac River along with a conversion of MD 5 outside of the beltway to a controlled access highway would be a better use of funds in the meantime since it would allow north-south traffic to bypass the Capital Beltway.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
The Maryland Transit Administration should consider extending MARC down through southern Maryland as it becomes more heavily populated, perhaps with a line terminating at Leonardtown. It might be a better fit for the area than Metro -at least for the time being.

·
Registered
777 Posts
The Maryland Transit Administration should consider extending MARC down through southern Maryland as it becomes more heavily populated, perhaps with a line terminating at Leonardtown. It might be a better fit for the area than Metro -at least for the time being.
My thoughts exactly. There are certain density and ridership requirements for metro that SOMD just doesn't meet at this time. Though MARC has no such requirements and would be perfect. I'm not sure if there are existing right-of-ways in SOMD though.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
My thoughts exactly. There are certain density and ridership requirements for metro that SOMD just doesn't meet at this time. Though MARC has no such requirements and would be perfect. I'm not sure if there are existing right-of-ways in SOMD though.
They may have to purchase their own right-of-way from what I've seen, especially if you want a line that services Waldorf and La Plata. The only freight line that serviced Southern Maryland was the Washington, Brandywine, and Point Lookout railroad:

Although now that I look at it more closely, there is a spur that you can see on that old map that goes nearby what is now Waldorf and La Plata that was part of the Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Washington railroad network.

·
Oh No He Didn't
5,297 Posts
Regarding a possible MARC expansion to Southern Maryland, there is an active rail line that runs from Bowie to Waldorf and La Plata that is currently being used by CSX to transport coal to the Morgantown Generating Station with another branch serving the Chalk Point Generating Station, and the MTA actually conducted a few studies on examining a possible commuter rail service to Waldorf and La Plata. The only downside however is that it is a very indirect route to Union Station in DC plus would be needed to be expanded to two tracks and a few grade crossings would need to be removed.

Southern Maryland Commuter Rail Service Feasibility Study

1 - 6 of 6 Posts