SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm using the term Metro Atlanta loosely here. Putnam and Morgan counties are a good bit to the southeast but this place is cetainly going to depend on Atlanta for visitors. The article mentions 2006 but the company has since issued a press release stating they would open the Georgia location in 2007. It'll be interesting to see if this actually happens and if they can make it work. I think they are too far from the city but then again, I'm not really their target audience so maybe people will be willing to travel more than I would.

Lake Oconee News

Theme park looking at property in Putnam

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A new theme park, once looking to locate in Morgan County, is now considering Putnam County too. Click "Read More" for details...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Extended News
Theme park looking at property in Putnam

A new theme park, once looking to locate in Morgan County, is now considering Putnam County too.

According to Ralph Vaughn of the Madison-Morgan Chamber of Commerce, MythFaire has narrowed its search to a site on the Morgan-Putnam county line. The 400 to 500 acre site is in both counties, although it was unclear how much land is in each.

Roddie Anne Blackwell of the Eatonton-Putnam Chamber would not comment on the proposed development.

But Sharyn Darlington, the director of the Putnam County Planning and Engineering Department, confirmed that she attended a meeting over a month ago with MythFaire representatives, Blackwell, members of the county commission and other local officials.

Darlington said she was not at liberty to disclose the specifics of the meeting. But she did say that the company had not presented any formal plans to her department.

MythFaire officials have not presented plans to Morgan County either, according to Allison Moon, a senior planner with the Planning and Zoning Department.

“We have not been seriously approached in our office,” Moon said “We haven’t seen a plat, we haven’t seen a concept plan.”

Acting County Manager Chuck Jarrell, who made a presentation about MythFaire to the Morgan County Commission in January, said he had not been contacted by the company since that time.

But Vaughn said he has been in regular contact with Michael Hamilton, MythFaire’s CEO.

“To my knowledge, this is the only site they are looking at in the area,” Vaughn said.

MythFaire is a new prototype family-oriented theme park comprised of five historic and mythic lands. In a bulletin board posting at the website www.renasissancefestival.com, Hamilton described MythFaire as “a new live experience where attendees become co-creators of their own entertainment experience.”

Hamilton said the park will afford guests an opportunity to participate in or witness real-time, live-action role-playing adventures. (Imagine Epcot crossed with a Renaissance Fair, and you will get the idea.)

There will be 30 to 40 acre areas based on ancient Rome (a replica Coliseum, Roman marketplace and Senate Forum), mythic Asia (the Great Wall, a Samurai village and a Ninja training center), and Arthurian Stonehenge (a walled Celtic Village town and a full military complex - and Stonehenge).

The park will also have a children’s village, Lyonesse, and a women-only area, the Isle of Avalon, which will have a spa, yoga classes and gardens.

Hamilton wrote that “MythFaire will replace the 90-second amusement park ride with a unique and unforgettable 90-minute epic adventure experience … [it] is a chance to be an extra in an

epic Hollywood Fantasy/Adventure film … [it] is stepping back in time to the way life might have been.”

Repeated attempts to contact Hamilton for this article were unsuccessful. But he has stated that the park will be constructed in an environmentally-friendly manner, leaving as many trees as possible undisturbed.

MythFaire has been looking at sites on all sides on the metro Atlanta area - Banks, Jackson, Hall and Bartow Counties are confirmed possible sites.

But it is also considering sites in New Jersey, Texas, California, Colorado and Massachusetts. Eventually the park wants to have several locations across the country, much like Six Flags.

The first location to open, however, will be in 2006 at the Georgia or New Jersey site.

The $70 million park would ostensibly bring several thousand visitors to the area each week. Hamilton has said it would employ about 1,000 people, although many would be professional actors.

The company has also stated that it will donate a sizeable percentage of proceeds to the community. How that money would be split between the two counties remains unclear.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
ha, this is absurd - sounds like plans for the Gone With the Wind theme park doesn't it?

.... pipe dreams.....

·
Registered
31 Posts
As "grand" as this sounds, they better get crackin' if it is supposed to open in 2006. I have heard talk about this park for at least a year now and it doesn't sound like they have moved forward an inch. Overall, not sure what to make of it. Sounds like it could be kinda fun but that's way OTP. Might be a little too scary for me to visit way out there.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've never been into the whole fantasy thing, but judging from the large number of people who attend DragonCon and mideval festivals around the country, it might have a shot. I look at it like the Nascar Hall of Fame... it isn't for me, but if it brings in more $$$ to the area, that's a good thing. I just wish they weren't looking at places so far out that are only going to cause more sprawl.

I did a bit more research and it sounds like they want to have the company's headquarters in Atlanta and that Wesley Clark is a member of the Board of Directors. strange...

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Anything to do with the Rennaissance Festival group scares me. I've been to one of those and except for one or two acts that had some semi-talented performers, the place seemed like a modern version of an old carnival, with all the bizarre and strange people in tow.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hey, Putnam Co. is my hometown. And my mom works in Madison (Morgan County). :) You're correct that calling the area "Metro Atlanta" is a stretch. Putnam Co. is actually considered Central GA. It's much closer to Macon than it is Atlanta.

There have been rumours of amusement parks being built in that area for as long as I can remember. Nothing has ever come of it. I doubt that this one will be built there. While people welcome new industry to the area, they do worry about the traffic a place like that can bring. The golf courses are one thing, but this would be entirely different.

Oh, and I never worry about urban sprawl in Putnam Co. They don't want it and they won't have it. People love the small town life there. I, however, don't.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
notoriousbib said:
Oh, and I never worry about urban sprawl in Putnam Co. They don't want it and they won't have it. People love the small town life there. I, however, don't.
Who thought that one day Cherokee and Forsyth counties would be taken over by suburban sprawl? But it is happening. It doesn't matter what the old timers in these places want. The developers have more money to invest in politics and lawsuits than everyone on a county like Putnum combined. If they feel they can get people from the current exurban fringe to move out further and make some $$$ off of them, then they'll do it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
AubieTurtle said:
Who thought that one day Cherokee and Forsyth counties would be taken over by suburban sprawl? But it is happening. It doesn't matter what the old timers in these places want. The developers have more money to invest in politics and lawsuits than everyone on a county like Putnum combined. If they feel they can get people from the current exurban fringe to move out further and make some $$$ off of them, then they'll do it.
IIRC, part of Atlanta is in Cherokee County. Forsyth Co. is roughly 30 minutes away. Eatonton is nearly two hours away.

Eatonton is a very generational town. It's not just the old timers. It's their kids and grandkids, too. It's rarer for people to stay there than to leave. Also, Eatonton has dealt with these issues and developers who had more money. Look at Reynold's Plantation. It has grown more into Green Co. than Putnam. The sprawl out there, it's largely in Greensboro. Most of the land out there is owned by private citizens who live (and in some cases work) on that land. For a lot of people, that land is all they have of a legacy. Few people want to give that up.

Anyway, if Eatonton becomes a suburb of anywhere, it will be Macon. Eatonton is much closer to Macon than Atlanta. (40 miles to Macon, 80 miles to Atlanta)

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Jasonhouse said:
Is it financed? If not, don't expect to be attending this place any time soon.

btw, it doesn't sound all that swift IMO. I'll stick with Six Flags when I go to ATL.
Oh admit it Jason - you're getting nervous that Atlanta is going to squash Orlando's position as a major entertainment center! This park will surely serve notice that Atlanta is a universal signficant city!

... ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts