Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soon, all of Florida's four largest metropolitan areas will have local access to at least two airports with their respective region.

On July 18, Skybus Airlines will start commercial service out of St. Augustine. St. Augustine Airport is also working on building a new commercial terminal and getting approval for Transportation Security Administration screening equipment.

Since its located south of Jacksonville, it should grow to be a decent alternative to JIA, which is located north of downtown and the I-295 loop.

Skybus serves eight cities, offering one flight a day to Columbus, Ohio, from Burbank, Calif.; Kansas City, Mo.; Richmond, Va.; Portsmouth, N.H.; Bellingham, Wash.; Greensboro, N.C.; Fort Lauderdale and Oakland, Calif. There are no connecting flights: A passenger going from Fort Lauderdale to Oakland, say, would pay a fare for each leg of the trip and would have to collect baggage and re-enter the terminal in Columbus.
http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/053007/bus_173686345.shtml

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I'm guessing this will be huge for the growth of Flagler and St. Johns county, already a fast growing area. Hopefully this moves forward.

·
jimmy
2,892 Posts
well, Jaxport isn't all that busy or big. even in the '70's it was overshadowed by Hartsfield. It was always small and still is-- same amount of gates with a new landside terminal built in the '90's (for the Jags).

Flagler residents have DAB off of US 92 in DB to serve them. But, now they will have another option. Just like in Miami-Ftl-WPB, OIA-OSI, and TIA-STP airport "bundles" around the state.

I know OSI in Sanford opened their commercial terminal in 1995 which serviced international charter flights. Around 2000, they started servicing domestic flights and built a new terminal. Seminole County did heavy investment and marketing for that and is also a major business destination, and having Disney nearby was essential for their success.

I don't see what kind of market can support Skybus up there. So many carriers have come and gone at OSI in 10 years b/c not enough people use those flights to off-brand airports... yet, new carriers have replaced them and the cycle goes on.

they are probably using the OSI model and are trying to replicate it, but St. John's County is no Seminole County population and business-wise. And the region's strength to lure business (flights) b/c of business or tourism is a fraction of CFLA's by comparison. I don't see it sustaining... but what do I know.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know what the market is for commercial flights into St. Augustine, but I'd suspect that it's tourism industry makes up for the business climate in Seminole County. St. Johns is also one of the rapidly growing counties in the state and JIA is on the northside of Duval County, meaning St. Augustine's airport is actually easier to get to for many Southside (Jacksonville) residents. Anyway, it should be interesting to see what happens down there. Other than that, a little competition for JIA, can't hurt.

Btw, I think JIA is in the middle of an expansion. I'll dig around and see what I can come up with to verify this statement.

·
Registered
102 Posts
never hurts to have some infrastructure. sarasota's airport is a complete joke, but it gets a few flights and one day when tpa is overbooked (and the roads are too crowded to get to it) it can take off some steam. so this airport is probably a good idea, it just wont be really a 'profitable' airport for decades to come. other problem will be proximity to orlando airport, it'll suck away all the hub-and-spoke and international travelers regardless.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think the airport is already profitable. Its the home of a major aircraft manufacturer. The commercial side of things will most likely be catered to St. Augustine's tourist market and as an alternative choice for the companies in Jacksonville's southside and rapidly growing Northbern St. Johns County.

·
Registered
85 Posts
never hurts to have some infrastructure. sarasota's airport is a complete joke, but it gets a few flights and one day when tpa is overbooked (and the roads are too crowded to get to it) it can take off some steam. so this airport is probably a good idea, it just wont be really a 'profitable' airport for decades to come. other problem will be proximity to orlando airport, it'll suck away all the hub-and-spoke and international travelers regardless.
Not trying to derail, but whats so bad about SRQ?

·
Florida
1,295 Posts
Nothing at all. Yes it doesnt quite have the flight selection of Tampa or Fort Myers, but it is a great airport. Its very quiet, and hardly ever busy. I always use it for domestic flights, and only go to Tampa for family vacations to England.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Not to be negative, but I think Skybus will be the only airline to operate out of St. Augustine. Skybus purposely chooses airports not served by other passenger airlines in order to keep costs down (I don't know why they chose FLL though since it is a very lage airport). This why I think SRQ will be next on Skybus' list. It's smaller than TPA and RSW yet close enough to draw passengers from both areas. RSW already is well served for its size. Domestic service to 41 destinations, direct international service to Dusseldorf and Munich (Berlin possibly in the future), direct service to Toronto and Montreal, and the airport is also trying to get direct service to Latin American destinations. Not bad for a area with an MSA of 600,000.

·
Florida
1,295 Posts
Not to be negative, but I think Skybus will be the only airline to operate out of St. Augustine. Skybus purposely chooses airports not served by other passenger airlines in order to keep costs down (I don't know why they chose FLL though since it is a very lage airport). This why I think SRQ will be next on Skybus' list. It's smaller than TPA and RSW yet close enough to draw passengers from both areas. RSW already is well served for its size. Domestic service to 41 destinations, direct international service to Dusseldorf and Munich (Berlin possibly in the future), direct service to Toronto and Montreal, and the airport is also trying to get direct service to Latin American destinations. Not bad for a area with an MSA of 600,000.
If that 600,000 number is indeed correct, it makes me sad because the Sarasota-Bradenton metro area makes up nearly 750,000 people. Yet RSW is down there with 7 million passengers while SRQ is just now getting back up to 1.5 million. The pull of Tampa International has ruined SRQ for decades.

·
Registered
82 Posts
If that 600,000 number is indeed correct, it makes me sad because the Sarasota-Bradenton metro area makes up nearly 750,000 people. Yet RSW is down there with 7 million passengers while SRQ is just now getting back up to 1.5 million. The pull of Tampa International has ruined SRQ for decades.
I believe Lee County gets more tourists than Sarasota. We see over 2,000,000 a year (not counting snowbirds). Add that 2,000,000 to the 2,000,000 Collier Co. gets and that accounts for 4,000,000 of the 7,000,000 passengers (almost all tourists in Lee Co. arrive by air).

Sarasota Co. population-369,535
Manatee Co. population-313,298
Sarasota+Manatee= 682,833

Lee Co. Population-571,344
Collier Co. Population-314,649
Lee+Collier=885,993

More tourists, a bigger population pool, and less competition from other airports has made RSW very successful. There was a time though that I think SRQ had more service than we did (back then it was Page Field though and not RSW)

·
Registered
85 Posts
I believe Lee County gets more tourists than Sarasota. We see over 2,000,000 a year (not counting snowbirds). Add that 2,000,000 to the 2,000,000 Collier Co. gets and that accounts for 4,000,000 of the 7,000,000 passengers (almost all tourists in Lee Co. arrive by air).

Sarasota Co. population-369,535
Manatee Co. population-313,298
Sarasota+Manatee= 682,833

Lee Co. Population-571,344
Collier Co. Population-314,649
Lee+Collier=885,993

More tourists, a bigger population pool, and less competition from other airports has made RSW very successful. There was a time though that I think SRQ had more service than we did (back then it was Page Field though and not RSW)
I don't know about Lee county getting more tourists than Sarasota, but the difference would probably be a lot smaller than you think. (I really can't find numbers otherwise, but I would be interested to see them) Manatee county has tourism too. Also, you are also serving a lot of Charlotte County. Really the main reason is next to no competition and a larger service area.

I live about 8 miles from SRQ and for years I have flown out of Tampa because you can save $20 bucks on the hub and spoke flights. Nowadays I am flying more out of SRQ because getting to Tampa can be a pain.

And anyway, SRQ does have passenger service if you didn't know... it might not be huge, but 1.5 million people use it a year. So its not like we have "no passenger service" as you say. Airtran, continental, delta, jetblue and some canadian airlines all serve SRQ (The main ones being Airtran and Delta).

·
Florida
1,295 Posts
I don't know about Lee county getting more tourists than Sarasota, but the difference would probably be a lot smaller than you think. (I really can't find numbers otherwise, but I would be interested to see them) Manatee county has tourism too. Also, you are also serving a lot of Charlotte County. Really the main reason is next to no completion and a larger service area.

I live about 8 miles from SRQ and for years I have flown out of Tampa because you can save $20 bucks on the hub and spoke flights. Nowadays I am flying more out of SRQ because getting to Tampa can be a pain.

And anyway, SRQ does have passenger service if you didn't know... it might not be huge, but 1.5 million people use it a year. So its not like we have "no passenger service" as you say. Airtran, continental, delta, jetblue and some canadian airlines all serve SRQ (The main ones being Airtran and Delta).
U.S. Airways as well ;) Now a days unless you really have to take a non-stop flight from Tampa because SRQ doesn't offer it, there really is no reason as to why you shouldnt fly out of Sarasota. Prices have gone down and are comparable to every destination matched in Tampa. Yet people continue to fly out of TPA because they are ignorant and its pretty sad.

·
Registered
85 Posts
U.S. Airways as well ;) Now a days unless you really have to take a non-stop flight from Tampa because SRQ doesn't offer it, there really is no reason as to why you shouldnt fly out of Sarasota. Prices have gone down and are comparable to every destination matched in Tampa. Yet people continue to fly out of TPA because they are ignorant and its pretty sad.
:)
Yeah, they seem pretty close in prices nowadays. Especially during the winter. People will change, just takes time.

·
Florida
1,295 Posts
Agreed, once it starts to take well over an hour to reach Tampa from Sarasota, thats when people will really start using SRQ. The conveince is amazing with an airport only 15 mins from my house.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Look on the bright side. You could live in a county where you have TIA to the west and OIA to the east. Talk about an airport killer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts