Votes: 24 18.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
32221 - 32240 of 32261 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Here's something interesting: Singapore has 10-12 years of pre-tertiary schooling, depending on the track.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_Singapore

Similarly, in Switzerland, only 25 pct of students who finish primary school go on to secondary and receive a total of 12 years of schooling.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_Switzerland

75 pct go to other schools and receive a minimum of 9 years of schooling.

In short, in some countries, there's no 12-year requirement. Instead, students take different tracks, and if several take up to 12 years or more, they do so outside secondary school.

Finally, in Taiwan, they started preparing for K to 12 in 1983 and implemented it decades later:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_Taiwan#National_Education

That's because they had to come up with pilot programs first. In contrast, the Philippines implemented the program fully after a few years (and incorrectly), and then reviewed it later instead of using pilot programs first. Not surprisingly, the result was failure:

https://www.bworldonline.com/k-to-12-review-finds-declining-test-scores-skills-mismatch/

What they should have done was just modify the old program and copy Singapore.

·
Banned
1,179 Posts
Let's keep the K-12, it's been debated a million times. There is no other way but to move forward!

Someday Singapore will copy us and not us copying them! Itaga mo sa bato yan!Shall we?:lol:

Itong iba masyadong believe sa mga singaporeans!!

·
SPEED
3,131 Posts
Singapore also came out as number one in Asia for English proficiency at a recent English proficiency ranking . PHils came second. This reinforces my observation from having visited Singapore a month ago, most everyone can speak English , from taxi drivers to market vendors, compared that to my visit 20 years ago when hardly anyone could speak English , so they're making great stride. Meanwhile you talk to a saleslady or taxi driver in the PHils you will get nosebleed as an answer and they will speak broken English hardly intelligible. English skills for the common man on the street is definitely going down in the PHils.

·
Banned
865 Posts
English should be installed back as the national of the Filipino people and consider Philippine languages as secondary or regional languages. We're better united as a country if we speak English.
Just to the Bisaya speaking regions and here you are from north speaking your Tagalog language which is not even recognized as the national language and who is having a nose bleed? The locals trying to scramble with their few Tagalog words. That's totally unacceptable.

·
Welcome to the Planet
2,225 Posts
PISA results are out and PH is in the bottom. Their data seems to be really old from 2003 and a lot of things happened already but Education in the country still needs major improvements.

Any truth sa very stupid no child left behind/mass promotion policy ng Deped during Luistro na even until now ay in effect (?) basically enabler lang ng diploma mills, pasado lahat ng estudyante kahit walang ginagawa at minsan lang pumasok dahil yung teacher at school ang mananagot. It's them basically painting a beautiful lie by cheating the system. Yung iba kahit high school na di pa rin marunong sumulat at magbasa, wala na umuulit ng level dahil Deped mismo kunsintidor. Mas mababa na rin daw grading system ngayon, madali na makakuha ng high scores kahit in reality hindi naman talaga kaya maraming honors bigla. Ewan ko ba anong nangyayari sa education system ng bansa.

·
SPEED
3,131 Posts
^^ I just read that, that is really embarrassing and dismal. Though why is the data from 2003, I thought it was based on new testing. Sad the priorities of the heads of state are nowhere to be seen. If you cannot educate your masses well to global standards you will not become a great nation. Forget about singing ,beauty acting contests . Lots of work need to be done.
What about the quality of teachers? Why are they sending the best teachers outside the country to teach match and science when those are the subjects that are deprived of quality teachers, low compensation... There are just so many thieves who care only about themselves.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Frankly, I'm not too worried about it. I think this is the first time we joined this survey, and it's probably just a misunderstanding on the measures.

We're already globally recognized for our command in English. Our Asian neighbors come here to learn English... Even Europeans... We're also no. 1 in voice BPO.

We'll do better the next time. I think DepEd should not do it next year. Skip 1-2 years and see how we'll rank

·
SPEED
3,131 Posts
^^ Just because you're not worried about it doesn't mean the quality of education is not going down. This is not just English , this is Science and Math. This is why the Philippines is dependent on other countries for technology because Science and math is not prioritized. And this attitude of non urgency will just always make the PHilippines a bottom dweller.

·
Welcome to the Planet
2,225 Posts
2018 PISA Report for the Philippines is now out.

Official statement of DepEd regarding the results can be found here.

I can't find the 2003 report online for comparison, it's been that long since we participated. Only this old report for all countries that doesn't even mention the Philippines.

·
Registered
38 Posts
EDIT: hindi rin talaga ako nagbabasa(asked about authenticity of the 2003 year, clarified in the report that the assessment was conducted in...2018 )

As for previous comparisons, sa pg 43, sabi daw this is the first time Philippines participated in PISA, so di mo talaga makikita.

·
Welcome to the Planet
2,225 Posts
ang gulo din kasi nung wording nila eh sa last part.

The DepEd decision to join PISA for the first time in its 2018 round is a step towards globalizing the quality of Philippine basic education
are they are implying anyone join for the first time every year? :lol:

meron kasing WB report just last year saying PHI is under-performing in education, gamit nilang basis is TIMSS and PISA which they claim is using 2003 data. So on the onset pa lang mahirap na talaga mag compare since magkahalo na yung sources nila at most likely iba na methodology nila noon kesa ngayon.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I am puzzled at the very low ranking of the Philippines. I thought all the while, with K-12, we have been continually improving our education system. It might surprise you guys to find out that for several years now, the US has been hiring grade school and high school teachers from the Philippines to fill in the shortage of teachers in their country.

Arizona:

Nevada (hiring yearly since 2017):

General US:

There are issues within the US about teacher pay and schools are facing difficulties hiring teachers. (This issue is another long discussion). So how did they address the shortage: Hire from the Philippines similar to the hiring of nurses 20 or so years ago to cope with the US nursing shortage (not anymore now). All those Filipino teachers are screened and their qualifications vetted. I also watched another video of teachers hired for Illinois. Usually, the schools will do a trial hire of 5-10 teachers and then hire more the following year. Andami na Filipino teachers sa America. Especially sa Texas, NY, California, Maryland. I thought Filipino students back in the PH are in good hands since we have very good teachers. Just the other day, i read that more than 83,000 passed the teacher board exams in the Philippines. So marami tayong teachers. That said, I am really concerned to read this news about PISA.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am puzzled at the very low ranking of the Philippines. I thought all the while, with K-12, we have been continually improving our education system. It might surprise you guys to find out that for several years now, the US has been hiring grade school and high school teachers from the Philippines to fill in the shortage of teachers in their country.

Arizona:

General US:

There are issues within the US about teacher pay and schools are facing difficulties hiring teachers. (This issue is another long discussion). So how did they address the shortage: Hire from the Philippines similar to the hiring of nurses 20 or so years ago to cope with the US nursing shortage (not anymore now). All those Filipino teachers are screened and their qualifications vetted. I also watched another video of teachers hired for Illinois. Usually, the schools will do a trial hire of 5-10 teachers and then hire more the following year. Andami na Filipino teachers sa America. Especially sa Texas, NY, California, Maryland. I thought Filipino students back in the PH are in good hands since we have very good teachers. Just the other day, i read that more than 83,000 passed the teacher board exams in the Philippines. So marami tayong teachers. That said, I am really concerned to read this news about PISA.
Part yan ng brain drain. Umaalis yung mga guro na talagang kailangan natin. Hindi na-incentivize ang mga guro na mag turo ng mga Pilipino. Funding nga talaga. PH Government needs to compete with the rest of the world for our teachers.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
^^
If i interpret what you are saying, funding for additional teachers so we can improve the teacher-student ratio? Besides marami naman guro sa pinas - 83,000 pumasa sa latest teachers board exam.

·
Registered
38 Posts
^^
If i interpret what you are saying, funding for additional teachers so we can improve the teacher-student ratio? Besides marami naman guro sa pinas - 83,000 pumasa sa latest teachers board exam.
Importante nga ang teacher-student ratio and funding helps that, though I was thinking more about increasing an individual teacher's pay and basic resources; pero baka mali ako, kasi I read up more and apparently raising teacher's pay may not necesarrily increase student learning, but it does help teachers stay in their jobs.

https://psmag.com/education/what-do-teacher-salaries-do-to-teacher-performance

·
Registered
4,975 Posts

Arizona:

General US:

So, you people think K-12 can do magic in relation to this state of Philippine education? There was a large brain drain a long time ago when our teachers opted to cast their luck abroad and teach there! This was a long time coming. Government just didn't understand how teachers help in the country's progress. Methinks, all these problems in our country are the results of giving our kids bad education: corruption, moral degradation, crimes, unwanted pregnacies, etc. ---all because we failed to raise a breed of educated youth! We get what we choose to have!:bash::bash::bash:

Addendum: See my siggy.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yung sabi nya, k-12 is just one point of reference on a continually improving education system, no one is saying that k-12 is the magic bullet that will solve all our problems.

As for the 83000 who passed, congrats to them, but the fact of having a large number of people who passed the board exams doesn't necessarily mean a better education system, and as a result, better PISA scores.

32221 - 32240 of 32261 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.