Jefferson Parish: 505,000
St. Tammany: 295,000
St. Bernard: 23,000
St. Charles: 63,000
St. John: 58,000
Plaquemines: 13,000
Tangipahoa: 145,000
Grand Total: 1,337,000

If we take off Tangipahoa Parish, which wasn't counted in the 2000 census, but, will be counted in the 2010 census we have a figure: 1,192,000.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Sean in New Orleans said:
Latest Metro New Orleans Population Figures (From YLC Meeting I Attended):
Orleans Parish: 235,000
Jefferson Parish: 505,000
St. Tammany: 295,000
St. Bernard: 23,000
St. Charles: 63,000
St. John: 58,000
Plaquemines: 13,000
Tangipahoa: 145,000
Grand Total: 1,337,000

If we take off Tangipahoa Parish, which wasn't counted in the 2000 census, but, will be counted in the 2010 census we have a figure: 1,192,000.

Wow, Sean. I hope those figures are right. I'm most concerned about the Jefferson Parish totals, though. Who compiled these figures, and what methodology was used?

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
JPKneworleans said:
Wow, Sean. I hope those figures are right. I'm most concerned about the Jefferson Parish totals, though. Who compiled these figures, and what methodology was used?
I don't remember who compiled them...it was just a handout. Figures are bases on electricity hook-ups, and sales tax figures, is what was told to us. The population figures weren't discussed in detail, at all. Just an update.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Seems sales tax totals shouldn't be used to guage population. Seems to me you'd want a normal sales tax environment to get an accurate read on poulation. We're certainly in a highly inflated sales tax scenario right now. Electric hook-ups seem to be a reliable guage, however. That said, I think those numbers are accurate. Comparing apples to apples, we've lost around 200,000 people metro-wide. That makes sense.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Lakeview

Cannonized said:
Comparing apples to apples, we've lost around 200,000 people metro-wide.
If that's true, then we're doing better than I thought we were.

Here's some good news that should bode well for the population numbers.

Lakeview revival on the way, leaders say
Building permits increasing for area
Sunday, May 14, 2006
By Karen Turni Bazile
Staff writer
Lakeview neighborhood leaders said Saturday that they see evidence the community is beginning to bounce back from Hurricane Katrina devastation, pointing to a dramatic increase in city building permits issued for the area and the reopening of a smattering of businesses.

Activists urged residents meeting in the St. Dominic School gym to get involved with committees working on issues ranging from restoration of utilities to managing greenspace.

"We are on the way back," said Freddy Yoder, chairman of the Rebuild New Orleans District 5 Lake Area Infrastructure Committee. "Don't wait on the government to do it for you. If you have the financial resources, take action, and get on with it."

Yoder gently urged the audience to complete house-gutting, saying government-financed pickup of debris material "is not going to go on forever."

In addition, Yoder said building permits issued since Katrina in the city's Planning District 5, which includes about 11,500 homes in Lakeview, Lake Vista, Country Club Gardens and other enclaves, have escalated in the last few months.

Offering cumulative figures, he said there were 166 permits issued as of March 10; 2,783 permits by March 29; and 7,768 permits by April 30. In some cases, as many as three permits may be issued for a single house to cover different types of repair or construction, he said.

"That means there are about 3,000 homes where people are moving ahead," Yoder told about 300 residents at the meeting, called by the Lakeview Civic Improvement Association. "That's good news to me."

Civic association board member Kelly Alfortish said that among Lakeview residents responding to a recent survey, 75 percent said they are returning, 11 percent said they are not returning and 14 percent are undecided. The survey response rate wasn't immediately available.

Group members said they are heartened by the reopening of a few banks, restaurants, doctors' offices and a veterinary clinic, among other businesses. One office building on Robert E. Lee Boulevard has 13 active tenants and there are several businesses open on Harrison Avenue, leaders said.

Civic association President Jeb Bruneau provided fresh details about repairs to the levee system and the condition of utilities, and urged residents to get involved in one of the group's 72 subcommittees.

The meeting included appearances by several runoff candidates in the District A and at-large City Council races. State Rep. Emile "Peppi" Bruneau, R-New Orleans, father of the civic group's president and a well-known Lakeview figure, took the microphone to announce his endorsement for Lt. Gov. Mitch Landrieu in the mayor's race.

Bruneau, who backed unsuccessful mayoral candidate Ron Forman in the primary, said that in the runoff "you have to pick from the gene pool available. There is a fine young man available, and he is not the mayor."

Incumbent Mayor Ray Nagin, Landrieu's opponent, wasn't represented at the meeting.

Bruneau said it is wrong there are still abandoned cars and lack of proper garbage pickup eight months after the hurricane.

"I'm tired of Lakeview being a forgotten part of the city," he said. "It's not about ideology anymore. It's about practicality."

Lakeview Civic Improvement Association officials said volunteers are staffing a community information center Monday through Saturday at the Gulf Coast Bank & Trust office on Harrison Avenue. The group also is sponsoring a neutral-ground cleanup from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. on May 21, using the corner of Harrison and Canal Boulevard as a staging point. More information is available at www.lakeviewcivic.org.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts