SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In these days of austerity there's a very probable chance that some/most of the planned infrastructure projects, in Dublin, may be put on the long finger.
So, the question is if given a choice which projects would you save at the cost of losing others???

Metro North

Dart Underground

Luas line BXD and Luas line F

Naturally, I'd like to see all completed using a stimulus programme from sovereign wealth fund, but that's not going to happen... This money has to be kept aside for bailing out bankers incase our creditors stop giving us money!!!

·
Registered
498 Posts
If only one of these gets the go ahead, I really hope that it's the Inter-connector. Then electrify all the suburban rail lines that feed into it. It's by far the most important in my opinion. Particularly now that passenger numbers at the airport are falling. I still hope that MN is built too, but Labour seem to be against it. But think of all the jobs that would be created during construction.

·
níféidirliomdulacholadh
1,276 Posts
maybe gothic can move it...

Interconnector has to be the most important id say, given that it would provide two high capacity transport spines with potential for expansion. Metro North also serves a lot of north dublin so falling airport passengers is not an argument for cancelling it, it connects the north city. BXD is obviously the least critical but also the cheapest so no major savings there :p

I think/hope MN and IC will go ahead, they are both in the program and cancelling MN now would damage our credibility almost as much as the bank bailouts... the PPP model would fall apart and we wouldnt get any of them. Luckily, I dont think we have to choose between them :D

BXD should be built with MN though, afaik the tracks are going in at the same time, right?

·
níféidirliomdulacholadh
1,276 Posts
Seems they're just putting in the tracks that will be on top of station, as these would be impossible (or at least really disruptive) to dig up the surface on again?
Could be the case alright, there are two stations along the route though, and westmoreland st will be dug up too, seems like they may as well cross the bridge and the few meters down dawson while they're at it :D

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Forgot to give my own view. If push came to shove I'd definitely choose the Dart Interconnector. I really don't think enough emphasis has been put on just how crucial a piece of infrastructure the interconnector is for the city and the country as a whole. It will be completely transfotmational for transport and would lay the foundations for all future transport development in the city.
However, if the interconnector is built first, I'd imagine there'd be a greater argument for a rail spur from the current dart line to connect to the airport instead of Metro North...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts