SkyscraperCity banner

49601 - 49620 of 50301 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
It's not £1bn to extend to Stockport... that must be to Marple and High-Lane.

Would wager on that.
The maps of the Stockport Town Centre West masterplan indicate the new Stockport link would go from East Dids to Stockport station and out the other side, so I'm speculating that it could go further afield than Stockport town centre itself and hence maybe why they're saying between £500m and £1bn.
It was announced at a meeting of the Mayoral Development Corporation, covering regeneration of the area surrounding Stockport station. The announcement specifically mentioned it is the East Didsbury line to Stockport Interchange.

https://www.stockport.gov.uk/news/m...ls-on-government-to-help-fast-track-metrolink

“The Mayoral Development Corporation will allow us to accelerate regeneration and we’re keen to extend Metrolink from the existing East Didsbury line to the new Stockport Interchange as quickly as possible."

·
Registered
10,446 Posts
The maps of the Stockport Town Centre West masterplan indicate the new Stockport link would go from East Dids to Stockport station and out the other side, so I'm speculating that it could go further afield than Stockport town centre itself and hence maybe why they're saying between £500m and £1bn.
They may be leaving the option of extending on towards Marple open.
As for engineering features, there is the East Didsbury tunnel under Didsbury Road, the Mersey crossing and M60 crossing. It's not going to be a particularly easy line to build. Even so those quoted costs do seem rather inflated. They sound more like the sort of estimate Network Rail would quote. Of course it's not really feasible to compare costs per mile for the various lines unless you factor in inflation over the 20 years of the expansion project.

·
IT City Planner
4,249 Posts
Doesn’t the Stockport extension have a fairly long tunnel immediately after East Didsbury station and then at least 1 bridge over the Mersey? The bus interchange will have to be reconfigured to accommodate the tram station as well presumably?
I think these points explain the high cost.
Bus interchange has always had Metrolink provision (i.e. space for a pair of platforms and track) in all its incarnations

·
Droylsden, Mcr Eastside
5,320 Posts
They may be leaving the option of extending on towards Marple open.
As for engineering features, there is the East Didsbury tunnel under Didsbury Road, the Mersey crossing and M60 crossing. It's not going to be a particularly easy line to build. Even so those quoted costs do seem rather inflated. They sound more like the sort of estimate Network Rail would quote. Of course it's not really feasible to compare costs per mile for the various lines unless you factor in inflation over the 20 years of the expansion project.
Yes Freel my memory is that the unusually high number of large civil engineering projects on the 2001 plans for this 4 mile route, was the reason that Stockport was dropped from the Transport Innovation Fund (Congestion Charge) referendum in 2008.

As well as the tunnel you mention (probably cut-and-cover) there were to be three separate crossings of the River Mersey, including a high bridge overtopping both the river and the M60 at the same time. This was to take in the proposed development at Gorsey Bank on the south bank, but between there and Stockport Brinksway becomes steep, narrow and twisty so was not thought to be suitable for street running. Therefore the planned route made a reversion to the north bank near the pyramid then back over once again :-

stock2001a by John McCarthy, on Flickr

On the other hand, I did walk the whole of the above route in 2010, and there seemed little apparent need for much in the way of demolition or CPOs etc, and very little street running (just Brinksway/Chestergate). It's actually a very interesting route photographically.

Whether those plans have changed since then I don't know. My pics from 10 years ago went to Jesus with Photobucket, but I still have copies so I might re-upload them if these proposals show signs of coming to pass. (Why does it take five more years for work just to start? - one tv report had it as 'completed' by 2025, but I guess that was just a sensible if incorrect presumption.)

The MEN identified it as urgently needed back in December 2002 - when Darling first approved Phase 3 then squashed it 18 months later :-

2002-12 by John McCarthy, on Flickr

Now Darling wants to squash HS2 in a similarly short-sighted intervention, as reported this week.

Well, if Metrolink does come to Stockport before 2030 it will have been as long in gestation as the Oldham Rochdale Line was.

But if to-day's announcement has any substance at all, (as the very final part of Phase 3 as outlined in 2001 when I was first gobsmacked on seeing the stupendous plans) - it will certainly be celebration time for me!!

:dance2::dance2::dance2::banana::banana::banana: :dance2::dance2::dance2:

·
Registered
642 Posts

Is the tunnel required purely for neighbourly/privacy reasons & retaining the public footpath right of way?

Gonna be hell living in those houses whilst construction takes place if it is indeed cut/cover. Can't work out where/how the exit portal will work either without demolition of houses & industrial units or the loss of a playing field.

Either way, I feel for people living there. I'm hoping new buyers were made aware of the plans. Though I suppose, they will gain a met stop so, every cloud.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I don’t understand why it needs to be a tunnel. There is plenty of grass verge opposite the houses where you could fit a tramway and a tram stop, unless I’m missing something?

That was my point, I’m assuming it’s something to do with a public right of way on the footpath there. Or possibly due to the proximity to people’s back gardens. Maybe that’s the condition they reached for the residents not to kick up a fuss.

·
Far East London
7,340 Posts
I don’t understand why it needs to be a tunnel. There is plenty of grass verge opposite the houses where you could fit a tramway and a tram stop, unless I’m missing something?
When the old railway was removed the cutting was filled in and the land became a park. Metrolink are building a tunnel purely so the park can remain intact.

I remember reading about these plans over 20 years ago so this shouldn’t come as too much of a surprise to local residents.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I think the topography around there is quite difficult. And didsbury road is an extremely busy road for its size being the main route to the M60 in that area so grade separating would be preferable. There's also an existing foot tunnel under the road there. To cross the road at grade would mean closing, raising, and replacing East Dids station significantly, constructing a new bank that would likely reduce the spaces in the P&R, removing the existing tunnel including diverting the traffic while you did it, filling in the cutting on the other side. That's all assuming its possible given the gradient towards the mersey. It probably wouldn't work out much cheaper if at all.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
didn't the airport line have similar crossings or does specific topography/rising costs/inflation double the price to stockport? Wasn't the whole of 3b 1.5bn or something? Interesting.

·
Registered
469 Posts
The airport line cost about £400 million so it’s pretty comparable.
The Airport line is 9 miles long with 15 stops...

Compared to upgrade of Bank and Monument stations in London, the whole line extension is a total bargain:

https://www.mylondon.news/news/west-london-news/everything-expect-642m-upgrade-bank-17608610
What is it with some on here and stupid comparisons?
It's a tram, not heavy rail, nor does it suffer associated London costs.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
My understanding of this projected extension is that, at the present time, it is going through the feasibility study procedure. Whilst accepting that the costs associated with tunneling, bridging the Mersey, etc. are obviously going to increase the cost per mile I bet the figures quoted are "guesstimates" at this stage. When the final estimates are in you can bet though that the cost will have risen, per mile, as compared to say the Trafford Centre line quite simply because of the effects of inflation in time that has elapsed between the two projects. I'd still bet that the whole project can be delivered both on, or ahead of, time and within budget.

·
Registered
469 Posts
What is it with some on here who insist in responding in a rude and passive-agressive way?
Are you actually going to contribute anything useful or just be argumentative for the sake of it because someone is criticizing something you believe in but cannot logically defend?

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Are you actually going to contribute anything useful or just be argumentative for the sake of it because someone is criticizing something you believe in but cannot logically defend?
This is not a useful reply and Neil DG had a legitimate concern. You could have conveyed the same information in your message without the insult. I'm sure that others here will agree that insults are not welcome here.

49601 - 49620 of 50301 Posts